The J67/68/69 ‘Buckjumper’, By Accurascale

• RMweb Gold

Page 109 of Strathwoods Eastern Steam Days 2 shows 68619 with flashes on the sandbox and tank front and with the front  cab window lined red. Date is given as 13/08/60 and the source as colour rail (photographer not recorded)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/07/2024 at 12:52, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi John,

Since you asked so politely, I will add these shots too and hope @AY Mod doesnt shoot me for filling up his servers!

SKUACC24411-2.jpg.5425df2340644508cbe934971d7a51b7.jpg

SKUACC24421-2.jpg.c31be2f1222492513d8f4bd51cec9bc1.jpg

SKUACC24471-2.jpg.bf634b127173653daea06600fee6d350.jpg

Cheers!

Fran 

Hi Fran, 

Just a quick question regarding the cab side numerals, are these going to be printed in cream as per standard BR practice? These deco samples appear to show the numbers in white, although it could just be my screen. 68619 in particular, certainly had cream numbers, see here: https://flic.kr/p/2n6L2mM

Thanks,

NG

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, NG said:

are these going to be printed in cream

Short answer is yes! It’s not your eyes, the bunker numerals were inadvertently printed in white, but will be in the correct straw shade on the production models.

Best wishes,

Paul

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 01/08/2024 at 09:21, MikeParkin65 said:

With apologies to anyone who can't access Facebook I'm surprised no one has yet commented on the running sample shown on Albion Yard. Looks to be an ultra smooth runner.https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=albion yard.

This is a model I am very much looking forward to receiving - I think its going to be 'special' :)

IMG_3944.jpeg.15b1ea1401202016e45fc18223ee188d.jpeg
For anyone interested in the overview of the J68 EP, it’s on the attached link below.
https://albionyard.com/2024/09/02/motivation-monday-accurascale-j67-j68-j69-first-look/

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Some typically excellent photo's of a decorated sample posted on @Tony Wrights thread this morning :)

.... on ‘Wright writes’ page 3306.  ‘Write writes’ is so extensive, that if you don’t know the page number, you are lost - it’s almost impossible to find your way to the posting you want to see!

I’ve also seen Albion Yard’s overview on Facebook - it is excellent, with lots of good photographs.

John S

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, it's-er said:

.... on ‘Wright writes’ page 3306.  ‘Write writes’ is so extensive, that if you don’t know the page number, you are lost - it’s almost impossible to find your way to the posting you want to see!

I’ve also seen Albion Yard’s overview on Facebook - it is excellent, with lots of good photographs.

John S

You are correct. It is a huge thread and trying to find stuff can be tricky. Somebody taught me a trick that seems to work, using the search within a thread facility.

If you go to the thread and then type "Accurascale" into the search box, it takes you straight to the photos on Wright Writes. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Ah, @t-b-gmany thanks indeed!  I had no idea such a facility exists.  Just tried it - I see it is accessed from the magnifying glass symbol at very top right of each page.

I’ve also just discovered how to put a name tag in posts! Many thanks,

John Storey

Edited by it's-er
Added name tag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, PMP said:

IMG_3944.jpeg.15b1ea1401202016e45fc18223ee188d.jpeg
For anyone interested in the overview of the J68 EP, it’s on the attached link below.
https://albionyard.com/2024/09/02/motivation-monday-accurascale-j67-j68-j69-first-look/

A useful and interesting review of the EP. Given that it is an EP, and as Wright writes shots indicate there are aspects that need adjustment, I think it’s probably head and shoulders above the etched kit. Unless you treat that as a scratch aid, are prepared to overcome the never corrected drawing errors, and replace lots of the parts with better ones there can be no real comparison in my view, (having built a J68 from the kit!). Price wise this RTR version seems to me to be one of those no-brainers as far as I can tell, even if like me you model in P4. 

The John Gardner sets of drawings available from the GER society as digital downloads are useful to have in conjunction with the RTCS green books. Far more accurate than the Roche version which seems to be of the curates egg variety, correct in places. 

Bob

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Having read Paul's review, which is very good in all respects, I'm even more eager for the arrival of these. Given the lack of suitable early crest East Anglia based examples ( though we are advised they are the subject of future releases )  my initial order is limited to the GER blue job but I've since added the L&NER example reviewed by Paul due to a new layout project. 

Those that know me will be aware of my dislike for the L&NER but I box this off as modelling ex-GER lines, and so is the case with this new project. 

Now that the 'J's are progressing, a F6 ( other GER 2.4.2Ts are available ) or an E4 would be nice.........just saying.........

Rob

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Price wise this RTR version seems to me to be one of those no-brainers as far as I can tell, even if like me you model in P4.

I agree, having been assured by a member of AS staff that it will feature a completely removable chassis, so that EM and P4 types can substitute our own chassis choice, if required.

Apparently the pannier will be the same, even more good news.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

I agree, having been assured by a member of AS staff that it will feature a completely removable chassis, so that EM and P4 types can substitute our own chassis choice, if required.

Apparently the pannier will be the same, even more good news.

Me being me if I’d have got one it would have been a question of just machining the wheels to suit. They do look nice.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, PMP said:

Excellent summary and model, but - as the late Iain Rice advised - ignore the Roche drawing for the reasons he explained in MRJ. The John Gardner drawings from the GER Society are much more useful. For GERS members only the Lyn Brooks Journal articles are still available and they, and Lyn himself, were the acknowledged source of Iain's articles in MRJ.

Lyn Brooks also gave similar treatment to the T26/E-4 2-4-0 Intermediates...

A Wills so-called J69 was my first whitemetal kit, purchased from the King's Cross model shop in the early 1960s with more than a week's wages. The cast whitemetal chassis with brass bushes was also purchased, along with the recommended Romford wheels and Terrier motor. The Terrier commutator was always binding and the J69 had, I realised, so many faults that it was put to one side in dismay. Really looking forward to receiving my AS East Side Pilot 68619.

How about upscaling to 7mm scale?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Pint of Adnams said:

The John Gardner drawings from the GER Society are much more useful

John's drawings have been a constant source of referral, as have Lyn's, and the GER Society have proved invaluable in all my GER research through Hornby times and with Accurascale. Fortunately, I also had access to the original Stratford drawings, many of which are works of art in themselves.

These, in addition to the 3D scan and many hours of manual measurements at Bressingham, have combined to form the model you see in front of you now.

Best wishes,

Paul.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Izzy said:

Me being me if I’d have got one it would have been a question of just machining the wheels to suit.

Indeed, provided you have the facilities and the expertise!

For the rest of us, there's always Alan Gibson!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Pint of Adnams said:

Excellent summary and model, but - as the late Iain Rice advised - ignore the Roche drawing for the reasons he explained in MRJ.

As mentioned the Roche drawing was used only for dimensions.

MRM at Kings Cross was my first job on leaving school!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Islesy said:

Fortunately, I also had access to the original Stratford drawings, many of which are works of art in themselves.

The original works drawings must always be the best and safest starting point. By original I mean not just those for the engines as built but of course also those for later modifications, boilers, etc. I believe that in this case the Great Eastern Railway Society has these drawings or at least scans of them and members have done sterling work cataloguing them?

• Agree 2

20 hours ago, PMP said:

As mentioned the Roche drawing was used only for dimensions.

MRM at Kings Cross was my first job on leaving school!

My first Saturday job was at MRM and then I moved to W&H.   Happy Days!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Basing your model on a Roche drawing is so 1970s, my dears. A throwback to a time of information poverty.

No one is that I’m aware of, this one certainly isn’t.

While some drawings are incorrect, if I were building a model I’d far rather work from a drawing, than no information at all. The J69 drawing is 1948, not 1970’s.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, PMP said:

No one is that I’m aware of, this one certainly isn’t.

While some drawings are incorrect, if I were building a model I’d far rather work from a drawing, than no information at all. The J69 drawing is 1948, not 1970’s.

Roche's book of drawings was published in 1970. My point is that for pretty well every thing depicted within, there are now much better sources of information, including original drawings in an accessible format, i.e. scanned. 

• Like 1

Good afternoon Team Accurascale,

I assume that the numbers/variants for run 2 will be announced once the run 1 locos are delivered.

Sometime around Warley perhaps (says he, fishing)? 😂

Cheers, Nigel.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1