The J67/68/69 ‘Buckjumper’, By Accurascale

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Islesy said:

The screw links are ABS plastic @Captain Kernow whereas the 3-links are metal parts. Close up of the flanges attached for you.

Best wishes,

Paul.

IMG_1477.jpg

Looking at those I would hazard a guess just skimming the backs to a useful flange width could be all that’s needed. There does seem to be a substantial boss on the wheels but there is no clearance issues with the rods behind steps etc. so P4 seems easily doable. Just whether new longer axles will be required. 

Bob

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Hi Paul, one other question if I may:

How easy would it be to remove some of the printed numbers, for example if you wanted to use commercial transfers to renumber your particular model, please?

I found removing the name and number on my Accurascale 92 to be very easy. A cotton bud dipped in enamel thinners did the job easily, and left the paint underneath untouched. Of course the paints used for the Buckjumper may be different and it not work so well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Islesy said:

You know how it goes; I can't make any recommendations because if someone goes at it too heavy handed, it'll be a case of "Well, Accurascale said....". 

What if I solemnly promise, on Panniers Honour not to sue, if I c0ck it up? 😁

Edited by Captain Kernow
I thought another comma might look more arty.
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

For those interested, or that have pre-ordered the Locomotion Models’ exclusive of No.87 in preservation, they’ve added their decorated sample to the order page https://www.locomotionmodels.com/exclusives/future-releases/ger-s56-j69-class-no-87?utm_source=wordfly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=SKB%3AShop-July1%2CDP1%2CSupportCoach%2C11.07.24&utm_content=version_A

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Accurascale staff
16 minutes ago, Islesy said:

For those interested, or that have pre-ordered the Locomotion Models’ exclusive of No.87 in preservation, they’ve added their decorated sample to the order page https://www.locomotionmodels.com/exclusives/future-releases/ger-s56-j69-class-no-87?utm_source=wordfly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=SKB%3AShop-July1%2CDP1%2CSupportCoach%2C11.07.24&utm_content=version_A

Oi! You're supposed to be on your annual leave! Get back to the great outdoors! 😆

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Oi! You're supposed to be on your annual leave! Get back to the great outdoors! 😆

I'm sure he's just chuffed to share it!

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

The Locomotion one looks stunning! I don't think I can justify a third one, especially since I've preordered the standard GER blue one and the Liverpool Street pilot one as well...

Nathan...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

The decorated samples look beautiful!! Question though: were the cabs prototypically that orange back in GER or LNER days? The preserved sample shows it to be a little more yellow, but it could always be a misrepresentation of what it looked like back then.
 Screenshot2024-07-11at10_35_35PM.png.6551bb93c29b3a4593663fbb1c7d3956.pngScreenshot2024-07-11at10_35_45PM.png.a95b17e352c71980db713d081e84f7f7.pngScreenshot2024-07-11at10_35_14PM.png.39524cf9c29331983e981ba42b05f87e.pngScreenshot2024-07-11at10_35_24PM.png.a84707652ad652182c3c7ee2b607c058.png

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Amaziii said:

The decorated samples look beautiful!! Question though: were the cabs prototypically that orange back in GER or LNER days? The preserved sample shows it to be a little more yellow, but it could always be a misrepresentation of what it looked like back then.
 Screenshot2024-07-11at10_35_35PM.png.6551bb93c29b3a4593663fbb1c7d3956.pngScreenshot2024-07-11at10_35_45PM.png.a95b17e352c71980db713d081e84f7f7.pngScreenshot2024-07-11at10_35_14PM.png.39524cf9c29331983e981ba42b05f87e.pngScreenshot2024-07-11at10_35_24PM.png.a84707652ad652182c3c7ee2b607c058.png

The cab interiors of GER engines were painted cream. This quickly weathered to a light tan.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Islesy said:

Don't hang around if you want a sound fitted version, down to the last 16 of that option according to the website!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The cab interiors of GER engines were painted cream. This quickly weathered to a light tan.

I always had it as the insides of the frames were cream and the cabs were tan.

The cab of the preserved Y14 is outright mustard yellow, but does have the cream frames! 

- James

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Jammy2305 said:

The cab of the preserved Y14 is outright mustard yellow, but does have the cream frames!

The cab interior of the adjacent T26 is also far more yellow than No.87, and even the Stratford Blue exterior feels subtly different in its depth of colour than that of 87.

I spent a lot of time in 87’s cab over the course of this project, and where that interior colour is used in the relevant models, it is matched correctly.

One of the questions I have constantly asked myself, is just how Stratford in the BR era came up with the dark blue exterior colour as a ‘match’ to GER Ultramarine, especially when there are other resources that held the correct paint formula.

All the best,

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

15 minutes ago, Islesy said:

The cab interior of the adjacent T26 is also far more yellow than No.87, and even the Stratford Blue exterior feels subtly different in its depth of colour than that of 87.

I spent a lot of time in 87’s cab over the course of this project, and where that interior colour is used in the relevant models, it is matched correctly.

One of the questions I have constantly asked myself, is just how Stratford in the BR era came up with the dark blue exterior colour as a ‘match’ to GER Ultramarine, especially when there are other resources that held the correct paint formula.

All the best,

Paul

I've often heard the repeated tale of it being colour matched to a tank or panel painted up in the back of the works. One can imagine how this would have darkened over the years due to exposure to sulphur.

- James

• Like 3

On 12/07/2024 at 14:17, Jammy2305 said:

I've often heard the repeated tale of it being colour matched to a tank or panel painted up in the back of the works. One can imagine how this would have darkened over the years due to exposure to sulphur.

- James

The subject of the restored GER locos (and their colour) was discussed many years ago at a GERS Meeting, and the paint sample panels to which you refer, and it was concluded the panels didn't date from GER days, but probably connected to the restoration by BR.

Paul

PS and the colour of both locos was agreed as  "too muddy"; also raised (and dismissed) was GER "Cambridge blue" variant!!!!

Edited by PaulG
PS added
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

These decorated samples look fabulous, and if anything show off the different variations even more !

For me personally the overhead warning flashes on BR 68619 modelled at this time detract albeit accurate

but that’s all.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Eddie the dog said:

the overhead warning flashes on BR 68619 modelled at this time

As ever, it’s a case of choose your time period and livery combination Eddie, but for me, 68619 had to be featured in the Stratford Blue, in Late BR, and vitally, with the GER Crest present on the bunker. That combination was accompanied by the electrification flashes (no flashes = no crest), which is why I selected that time period.

Sorry!

Best wishes,

Paul

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

On 12/07/2024 at 14:00, Islesy said:

The cab interior of the adjacent T26 is also far more yellow than No.87

Ah, you’ve acknowledged the existence of the E4, that must mean you’re producing one! 😁

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5

1 hour ago, NXEA! said:

Ah, you’ve acknowledged the existence of the E4, that must mean you’re producing one! 😁

I would love it if that were true!

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

Very much looking forward to getting this one.

Just checked my pre-order at my favourite Cornish retailer to make sure I hadn’t ordered the Scottish one by mistake and was very surprised to see none available for pre order!

In fact I can only see the O gauge Ruston and Panniers for Accurascale locos as available for pre- ordering at Kernow, hopefully it’s jus a website hiccup.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• Accurascale staff
4 hours ago, Mark Hamlin said:

Very much looking forward to getting this one.

Just checked my pre-order at my favourite Cornish retailer to make sure I hadn’t ordered the Scottish one by mistake and was very surprised to see none available for pre order!

In fact I can only see the O gauge Ruston and Panniers for Accurascale locos as available for pre- ordering at Kernow, hopefully it’s jus a website hiccup.

Hi Mark,

Could it be that their pre-order allocation has sold out? It could certainly explain it.

We still have them for pre-order on our website if it helps.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 1

On 14/07/2024 at 21:36, Islesy said:

As ever, it’s a case of choose your time period and livery combination Eddie, but for me, 68619 had to be featured in the Stratford Blue, in Late BR, and vitally, with the GER Crest present on the bunker. That combination was accompanied by the electrification flashes (no flashes = no crest), which is why I selected that time period.

Sorry!

Best wishes,

Paul

Dick Riley photographed 68619 on 2 April* 1959 in the ultramarine blue with GER crest on the bunker but lacking any electrification warning flashes and with red lining circling the front spectacles.

*  The author's text is incorrect; 68619 was not repainted until September 1959 and the Transport Treasury Riley photograph listing gives the date as 2 October 1959, when he took a number of photographs of the new livery (refs 14317-22)

By November 1960, photographed by TA Murphy (Colour-Rail BRE938), the warning flashes had made it not only to the top front of the tank but also the side of the sand boxes, whilst the red lining around the spectacles seems to have disappeared (but that may be down to exposure and shadows).

Both photographs in colour in On Great Eastern Lines, Peter Swinger, Ian Allan 1998 - pages 5 and 8 respectively.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Pint of Adnams said:

Dick Riley photographed 68619 on 2 April* 1959 in the ultramarine blue with GER crest on the bunker but lacking any electrification warning flashes and with red lining circling the front spectacles.

*  The author's text is incorrect; 68619 was not repainted until September 1959 and the Transport Treasury Riley photograph listing gives the date as 2 October 1959, when he took a number of photographs of the new livery (refs 14317-22)

By November 1960, photographed by TA Murphy (Colour-Rail BRE938), the warning flashes had made it not only to the top front of the tank but also the side of the sand boxes, whilst the red lining around the spectacles seems to have disappeared (but that may be down to exposure and shadows).

Both photographs in colour in On Great Eastern Lines, Peter Swinger, Ian Allan 1998 - pages 5 and 8 respectively.

There is a Colour Rail photo of 68619 with warning flashes in early March 1960. So the flashes had been added sometime in the previous 5 months.  

• Like 1