radical thinking

GONK43

Hi All

Now I am thinking of doing something which you may think is bonkers, but see what you think.

Apologies if in the wrong section.

Now I have a Bachmann 2 car dmu, power car fitted with esu loksound sound decoder, 8 pin i think.

Trailer car has standard 8 pin decoder for the light functions, needed for this model.

Now, if I am correct, both these decoders are given the same address.

What would happen, if you reverse fit the decoders?. My thinking is the sound decoder fitted in the power car is needed, to give the correct sound for acceleration and deceleration, being the motor connections are in this end.

The trailer car, if fitted with the sound decoder would not work properly, because there are no motor connections?

But, these two decoders are addressed the same!

The reason I am asking, is to understand what would happen in this senario, because I am considering trying to fit a class 08 with a standard decoder, and then sound fit a modified brake van which would have the dual address same as the dmu, with the sound decoder and speaker. Reason being the space in the 08 is very limited, and in some cases would mean cutting about of body etc.

Let me know your thoughts please, even if it is to take the wee wee.

Ta very much

gonk43

46 minutes ago, GONK43 said:

Hi All

Now I am thinking of doing something which you may think is bonkers, but see what you think.

Apologies if in the wrong section.

Now I have a Bachmann 2 car dmu, power car fitted with esu loksound sound decoder, 8 pin i think.

Trailer car has standard 8 pin decoder for the light functions, needed for this model.

Now, if I am correct, both these decoders are given the same address.

What would happen, if you reverse fit the decoders?. My thinking is the sound decoder fitted in the power car is needed, to give the correct sound for acceleration and deceleration, being the motor connections are in this end.

The trailer car, if fitted with the sound decoder would not work properly, because there are no motor connections?

But, these two decoders are addressed the same!

The reason I am asking, is to understand what would happen in this senario, because I am considering trying to fit a class 08 with a standard decoder, and then sound fit a modified brake van which would have the dual address same as the dmu, with the sound decoder and speaker. Reason being the space in the 08 is very limited, and in some cases would mean cutting about of body etc.

Let me know your thoughts please, even if it is to take the wee wee.

Ta very much

gonk43

If you've got all the kit, what is to stop you testing it out by swapping over the decoders on yur DMU?

The issue is some decoders will not work without a motor connection. You may need to fit a dummy resistor to “ fool” the non motorised sound decoder , watch the wattage of the resistor. 

equalky as there is no BEMF feedback you may find the sound does not track the “ engine progress” as well as it should. 

Edited by Junctionmad

If you want a sound decoder without motor drive and use ESU you should have a look at the LokSOUND FX (function) decoder which is a hybrid of sound decoder and function decoder. The cost for LokSound Fx plus a LokPilot is not much higher than for a normal Loksound 5.

(ESU 58210 for 8-pin, 58219 for 21mtc where AUX3/4 can be set by CV to either logic level or amplified output).

https://www.esu.eu/en/products/loksound/loksound-5-fx/

Edited by Hamburger
  • Like 1

Hey, thanks hamburger. Will look at that. very interesting.

Junctionmad. Yes, not having motor connection was something I thought might be an issue.

I was thinking of having two wires from shunter motor connections into brake van and solder to a suitable pcb board for that.

There are on the market now, some very small two pin connectors, you sometimes see inside these locos.

Could use as connection between the two.