Selling on ebay...OUCH!

peteskitchen

• RMweb Premium

Not ebay, but illustrating how we have different values on postage, I ordered some gears knowing there is a long lead time. Well over a month later I got an e mail saying they are ready and asking for 9 quid for next day delivery - I think I could have held out for another day or two for 48 tracked.

To add insult to injury I then had to get out of bed to sign for the tiny packet!

Back to ebay, I've raced around preparing things to sell this week - first time I've ever been ready before about 11pm the day it expires - and then haven't had the 80% offer for the first time in ages. Sods law or very clever algorithms?!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Not ebay, but illustrating how we have different values on postage, I ordered some gears knowing there is a long lead time. Well over a month later I got an e mail saying they are ready and asking for 9 quid for next day delivery - I think I could have held out for another day or two for 48 tracked.

To add insult to injury I then had to get out of bed to sign for the tiny packet!

Back to ebay, I've raced around preparing things to sell this week - first time I've ever been ready in advance - and then haven't had the 80% offer for the first time in ages. Sods law or very clever algorithms?!

Mine arrived 20 mins ago

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

An interesting one today, after several years of not selling  via the eBay platform I used  my partners account to dispose of some recent OO scale high end products after two recent storms have caused some very expensive damage to the roof of our house. I always post items first class signed for which is the best way of any evidence of delivery. We posted several items this week to several purchasers  all seem happy with the exception of one. He claimed the item was not delivered even though the post office website clearly shows his signature on the page and the time and location. The class 37 accurascale was delivered, but he says it’s not the loco in the box yet five minutes earlier, he was saying nothing have been delivered , I’ve spoken with great length with eBay on the phone this evening who tell me not to worry as the tracking and the signature is all that is required. We have been victims of this similar fraud in the past so we take photographs along the packing  route down to the very last photograph of the parcel packed and labelled ready for collection by the post office It’s simply amazes me the nerve of some people to try and defraud when the factual evidence is there I am actually a local magistrate and know trade law pretty well, and I advised the purchaser of this from the beginning and that I will be speaking with his local police, I even asked him to enquire as with other members of the family to see they had taken the parcel. On several occasions in the past eBay have not been that supportive but to give them credit this time they have been a bang on and full credit to them .

• Like 4

If an is claimed to be not as described, I would arrange for the item to be returned for a refund.  Its the last thing the complainant wants if he is actually a scammer. Scammer wants a refund and keep the model.   Occasionally I have had a complaint that items arrive broken and usually do a deal to knock a few quid off or just refund them,  I sent two items to the wrong  people once, one wanted a refund the other did not.   None of mine sounded like a scam but that Accurascale 37 does sound very much like one.  Did he/she send photos of the supposedly wrong item?     I would expect photos if it was a genuine  complaint. 

It's not always the buyer (or the seller) Twice eBay have used an old buyers address, despite the buyer having changed the information some time ago and when told the buyer has been able to recover the items, and several times eBay have relisted SOLD items which I didn't notice and they then sold and I couldn't find them... 

• Friendly/supportive 2

10 hours ago, DCB said:

If an is claimed to be not as described, I would arrange for the item to be returned for a refund.  Its the last thing the complainant wants if he is actually a scammer. Scammer wants a refund and keep the model.   Occasionally I have had a complaint that items arrive broken and usually do a deal to knock a few quid off or just refund them,  I sent two items to the wrong  people once, one wanted a refund the other did not.   None of mine sounded like a scam but that Accurascale 37 does sound very much like one.  Did he/she send photos of the supposedly wrong item?     I would expect photos if it was a genuine  complaint. 

It's not always the buyer (or the seller) Twice eBay have used an old buyers address, despite the buyer having changed the information some time ago and when told the buyer has been able to recover the items, and several times eBay have relisted SOLD items which I didn't notice and they then sold and I couldn't find them... 

we only pack and label one item at a time firstly he said no parcel then this changed to I have a parcel with that  tracking But it’s not the loco! It’s the only item he purchased and feedback from the other sales in this batch was all good, since I’ve mentioned the police it’s gone radio silent and he’s been blocked from further purchases, before he purchased after 5 questions I said to my better half as it’s her account I see a problem with this buyer, eBay are backing me 100% it’s even his signature legible on the post office website,, we always send the buyer a photo of the labelled box before being collected as we did this time , the shocking bit he has over 400 positive feedback so why act up now I don’t know,,,,,and no photos of a ‘wrong’ item at all we know it’s the loco \a postal weight of 2100g says that also we only sold 2 accurascale locos the other being a 92 and feedback was received for that, because we knew via instinct that this buyer would be a problem, it was the first parcel, we packed it before doing any of the others  ,,,due to data protection I obviously can’t reveal the buyers identity, my partner thinks  as the eBay account is in a females name, he may be thinking that she knows nothing about model. Railways and wouldn’t be able to answer some of the questions he was asking earlier in the posting we directed him to the accurascale website for all the technical information that he might want to read. it was one of the rarer ones  the regional railways concrete, Bob mint n boxed  he picked up a bargain at £140 mint and boxed.

Edited by TTDB
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, TTDB said:

before he purchased after 5 questions I said to my better half as it’s her account I see a problem with this buyer, 

I had one similar recently where some questions alarmed me so I contacted eBay asking if I could cancel the sale. To be fair they were much more helpful than i expected and they agreed I could under the circumstances. I went ahead in the end having messaged to check the buyer had totally understood what they were getting, but good to know that option is there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 17/11/2023 at 22:25, DCB said:

we only pack and label one item at a time firstly he said no parcel then this changed to I have a parcel with that  tracking But it’s not the loco! It’s the only item he purchased and feedback from the other sales in this batch was all good, since I’ve mentioned the police it’s gone radio silent and he’s been blocked from further purchases, before he purchased after 5 questions I said to my better half as it’s her account I see a problem with this buyer, eBay are backing me 100% it’s even his signature legible on the post office website,, we always send the buyer a photo of the labelled box before being collected as we did this time 

• Like 1

Today, the saga continues. The buyer has had the courage to open up a not received  dispute actually with eBay, we have found out  this morning. On a quick call to Ebay  they said not to worry about  the situation , and on 24th they will step in to resolve the issue,  on a quick look the ebay agent said that they can see the signature of the gentleman‘s concerned and that the locomotive was delivered and signed for just after 5 pm, the  day prior to when he contacted me to say nothing had been received I don’t know why he’s wasting my time. I’ve told him no further  communication let everything go through ebay or I will be reporting him to his local police for harassment , unreal for one single model, railway locomotive, as I mentioned earlier from his initial 4  messages  prior to purchasing the loco, I suspected some mental instability.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, TTDB said:

Today, the saga continues. The buyer has had the courage to open up a not received  dispute actually with eBay, we have found out  this morning. On a quick call to Ebay  they said not to worry about  the situation , and on 24th they will step in to resolve the issue,  on a quick look the ebay agent said that they can see the signature of the gentleman‘s concerned and that the locomotive was delivered and signed for just after 5 pm, the  day prior to when he contacted me to say nothing had been received I don’t know why he’s wasting my time. I’ve told him no further  communication let everything go through ebay or I will be reporting him to his local police for harassment , unreal for one single model, railway locomotive, as I mentioned earlier from his initial 4  messages  prior to purchasing the loco, I suspected some mental instability.

Without wading back through your posts, I take it that there is evidence that the package was delivered to the CORRECT address?

I recently had a package delivered and signed-for ...... except that it had gone to the wrong address, and the signature wasn't mine!

Fortunately, the person who HAD signed for the package realised the mistake, and redelivered it to the correct address.

CJI.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Without wading back through your posts, I take it that there is evidence that the package was delivered to the CORRECT address?

I recently had a package delivered and signed-for ...... except that it had gone to the wrong address, and the signature wasn't mine!

Fortunately, the person who HAD signed for the package realised the mistake, and redelivered it to the correct address.

CJI.

hi, yes there is the evidence that it was delivered by GPS the exact address and the actual signature is totally readable that matches the buyers name on the address label

• Like 2

@TTDB You mentioned you always use First class signed for, that only covers you for items up to £50.

Whilst the issue with this particular buyer is not really about a not received item, if it had been truly lost you would not have been able to claim for an Accurascale value item off that postage and my understanding is that the Royal Mail simply won't pay out anything if the item was more valuable than £50.

I would suggest you review your postage options going forward, it's not like the buyer isn't paying for it on top of the purchase price.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

@TTDB You mentioned you always use First class signed for, that only covers you for items up to £50.

Whilst the issue with this particular buyer is not really about a not received item, if it had been truly lost you would not have been able to claim for an Accurascale value item off that postage and my understanding is that the Royal Mail simply won't pay out anything if the item was more valuable than £50.

I would suggest you review your postage options going forward, it's not like the buyer isn't paying for it on top of the purchase price.

I agree. Best use Tracked 48 (£3.29) of Tracked 24 (£3.99).  Buy the postage online and print off the label. Postie will collect it for free next working day (and will bring a printed label for free if you can't print), or you can drop off at the post office which will incur a 16p surcharge. Both are cheaper than first-class signed for, and both have insurance up to £150. 

Edited by RFS
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Yes, I think we will change to tracked 48 or 24, as of the item was delivered and signed for. He’s just adamant that he wasn’t even against his own signature. I’ve even said I will contact his local police but he still standing his ground. On the subject of parcel loss using normal services we  posted, a locomotive to Chile £250 got as far as Santiago airport I didn’t go any further than that,, got total refund £72   £50 allowance for the £250  locomotive and £22 refund for the loss of postage

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, TTDB said:

On the subject of parcel loss using normal services we  posted, a locomotive to Chile £250 got as far as Santiago airport I didn’t go any further than that,, got total refund £72   £50 allowance for the £250  locomotive and £22 refund for the loss of postage

For an extra £2.50 you can increase the insurance from £50 to £250 which is what I have done in the past when sending abroad.  Thankfully not lost anything yet!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TTDB said:

Yes, I think we will change to tracked 48 or 24, as of the item was delivered and signed for. He’s just adamant that he wasn’t even against his own signature. I’ve even said I will contact his local police but he still standing his ground. On the subject of parcel loss using normal services we  posted, a locomotive to Chile £250 got as far as Santiago airport I didn’t go any further than that,, got total refund £72   £50 allowance for the £250  locomotive and £22 refund for the loss of postage

How do you know it's his signature?

He only had to read the addressee's name, and sign in that name.

It could be anyone; I suspect that the package has been delivered to the wrong address.

CJI.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, cctransuk said:

CJI.

Every week there's somebody on my local village FB group either trying to find the owner of a package wrongly delivered to them, and/or somebody who's had their delivery 'signed for' by a mystery person but not at their address.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

How do you know it's his signature?

He only had to read the addressee's name, and sign in that name.

It could be anyone; I suspect that the package has been delivered to the wrong address.

CJI.

Precisely

Some years ago my Wife sent a recorded delivery letter to her brother.

The item was shown as signed for at his address.

Expecting a phone call from him in reply there was nothing. So she rang him and was told it hadn't arrived.

Contacted RM, Yes he's signed for it here's a facsimile of the signature.

Wrong, the signature was his name but not as he signs it in any shape or form.

RM were challenged, eventually admitting it must've been delivered to the wrong address.

If the person who signed for it was expecting something worthwhile in the letter they would've been disappointed, as it was just a legal form he had to sign regarding my wife and her brother's recently deceased mother!

It never turned up.

Edited by melmerby
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Precisely

Some years ago my Wife sent a recorded delivery letter to her brother.

The item was shown as signed for at his address.

Expecting a phone call from him in reply there was nothing. So she rang him and was told it hadn't arrived.

Contacted RM, Yes he's signed for it here's a facsimile of the signature.

Wrong, the signature was his name but not as he signs it in any shape or form.

RM were challenged, eventually admitting it must've been delivered to the wrong address.

If the person who signed for it was expecting something worthwhile in the letter they would've been disappointed, as it was just a legal form he had to sign regarding my wife and her brother's recently deceased mother!

It never turned up.

A signature is worthless - unless it is that of the intended recipient!

CJI.

• Agree 2