Swd 108

Piemanlarger

• 3 weeks later...

Right, finished tidying up the train room so had a few spare minutes to record the class 108.

Firstly, this is not my decoder but a friends. I dont know anything really about 108 apart from a few trips on preserved lines.

Sounds like i expected it to though, a Bus!

The decoder is not fitted to the 108 (sorry about poor quality recording but hopefully sound is ok. Not sure if camera is on the way out?) Recordings done from about 2 foot as normal, but as I said difference is the chip is fitted to my test chassis behind the 108.

Speakers used are the supplied 23 ml round speaker + base reflex.

1/ Horns, nice sound to them and plenty loud enough

Buzzer

There is a twin buzzer sound on one f key and then on another f key as long as the switch/ latch is on the buzzer sounds.

Brake relase ok, think it has been used before on other projects ? Not loud enough for me personally.

Start up is nice, two engine start u which took my by surprise first time i did it, thaughtn the chip had shorted and re-started!

Notch up

There is none. used my locprogrammer to assign notch up / notch down.

However, reading through the driving infor supplied i think this is a sound project that will suit a tailchaser and not an end to end?

Cant make a definate conclusion as yet until i fit the chip. However, my layout is only a 9ft run and my mates is 8ft. I dont think there normal engine sounds will change gear very often on such a short run with out altering cv (as set). Will video again when fitted and running.

Its a nice set of sound as it chganges gear and builds speed. I dont like the clickity clack noise, its on the project and cant be removed unless Swd do it. I may well change my mind when fitted and running to the model, but first impressions would suggest on the 1 yard lengths of track modellers use (in 00) there will be clickity clicks on solid rail. Personally i would have prefered the sound at most to be on an F key so you could have it on or off. Will wait to see how it looks/ sounds as i said when running.

Notch down Sound good.

F key

0 - lights

1 - staup shut down

2 - Horn single

3 Horn double

4 - Brake

5 -Double buzzer (Guard?)

6- buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzer (on latch)

7 - Aux 1

8 - Aux 2

9 -Directional gear change

10 - Guards whistle

What i did find disapointing, and so did the owener of the chip is no flange squeal on the chip.Apparently trhe engine sounds have taken so much time up, there was no room for it. I think it would have been much better than the clickity click sound.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting those, very useful.

Think I will get mine reblown with this sound set.

I really like the horns and , personally, I quite like the track clickity clack too. :-)

Will be interesting to see how it performs on an end to end layout as you suggest.

Thanks for posting those, very useful.

Think I will get mine reblown with this sound set.

I really like the horns and , personally, I quite like the track clickity clack too. :-)

Will be interesting to see how it performs on an end to end layout as you suggest.

I cant say i dont like the sound, its just a case of if it will look right, as apposed to sound right. Will have to fit and test, hopefully in the coming days?

• RMweb Gold

The Howes version of the 108 is spot on, honestly one of the best sound chips I own [i have most classes of loco].

I totally agree with Pieman you really need a tail chaser layout to run DMU's, - lots of effects on this one Listen to the doors slam shut on the Station halt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVbh5NPBZso

Yes, that is good. Thanks for posting.

Does the Howes version have a guards whistle?

Guest 838rapid

Gear changs at 49 seconds and also 103,before the unit slowed for the station.

Also heard one at 148 seconds,they are subtle,have got a 23mm speaker to mine which makes them sound more pronounced.

But they are definatly there

Hope this helps

• RMweb Gold

Yes, that is good. Thanks for posting.

Does the Howes version have a guards whistle?

yes the howes one does have a guards whistle, if you look on my youtube channel (link below) there is a clip of my 121 which has the same basic chip, bryan has modified it slightly to change gear a bit earlier for my end to end layout too

• RMweb Gold

yes the howes one does have a guards whistle, if you look on my youtube channel (link below) there is a clip of my 121 which has the same basic chip, bryan has modified it slightly to change gear a bit earlier for my end to end layout too

Thanks Jim.

Good to know it can be amended to invoke quicker gear changes as my layout won't be that long at the moment to get much speed up :-)

Gear changs at 49 seconds and also 103,before the unit slowed for the station.

Also heard one at 148 seconds,they are subtle,have got a 23mm speaker to mine which makes them sound more pronounced.

But they are definatly there

Hope this helps

found another video where i can here them now, thanks

Archived