Class 66, By Accurascale

I resisted the Hattons ones, after there issues. But now the detail is there and AS will be QC’ing them I think it might be the time to be switching from Bachmann to AS 66’s. Well my eBay will be busy…

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

You are getting a bit annoying with your announcements. Another one I had to pre- order. Hopefully you will cure the wobble which most of the Hattons ones (including mine) had. 

Now please, give my wallet a bit of breathing time...

Looking forward to this model. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

Well… you had me thinking a class 73 announcement with the Caledonian stock at the beginning. 

followed by “not another class 66 version, that’s 4 now”

To YES! Whoop! Very pleased and impressed with this announcement at being able to take a very good model, secure the tooling and enhancing it up another few notches! Especially with the sound version not being too far off the price a few years ago (happy to be corrected on this!).

Very nice, probably the DRS version for me atm, dread to think which other versions you’ll be doing for runs 2 & 3 onwards! 

this seems a smallish offering to start for yourselves though - Not a complaint, just an observation. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

So the niggle list with hattons ones and what I saw in the video picked out…

1. Front airdam steps falling out

2. Axle boxes falling off - Addressed

3. Cab door steps / other body mount under hangings falling off - Addressed

4. Body side grills popping out when removing the body 

5. Roof grill coming detached with minor handling - Addressed

6. LEDs in modes -Addressed

7. Dead motors - Seems to have been unfortunate batch for Hattons

8. Poorly attached gear tower lids

9. Plastic drive shafts (weak).

Any ive missed / fixed ?

I shared thoughts with on the above previously in the Hattons 66 thread, but solutions could be..

1. Mold it on.

4. lug them in

8. QA

9. Make the shaft thicker plastic so it doesnt bend, or a metal one like the Dapol 121 (the setup and towers are the same type).

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Very interesting, do wonder of the haulage capacity as my Bachmann one just about pulls a realistic rake of HTA hoppers. EWS and freightliner will do very nicely explains why the hattons 66 some what disappeared after it's original launch, this along with Cavalex 56 and 60 is going to be an expensive year

• Agree 1

This is good, and in one announcement Accurascale have answered probably the two most criticised aspects of the Hatton's 66: the falling-off-rotating-axleboxes, and the damage to the steps done when lifting the body off to fit a decoder - that removable roof hatch is a great idea, carried over from their Deltic.

One other criticism of the Hatton's otherwise excellent model was the wobbling evident on some as they moved, caused by the holes in the side frames not quite aligning properly with the axles and their rotating bits. some people addressed that by drilling out the holes a bit (I did this myself). I daresay Accurascale will address this too as it would show up in their test running of the EPs.

I'm not sure I need any more 66s myself, although I would be happy to trade my Bachmann models in for similar Accurascale ones. 😁 😁😁

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, hammy said:

Very interesting, do wonder of the haulage capacity as my Bachmann one just about pulls a realistic rake of HTA hoppers. EWS and freightliner will do very nicely explains why the hattons 66 some what disappeared after it's original launch, this along with Cavalex 56 and 60 is going to be an expensive year

Hattons 66 pulled the house down, so Ive no doubts on this one.

Bachmann diesels can be a bit light, the 70 pulls nowt.

I do wonder if Bachmann are working a new 66 though, given the 37/47 I cant imagine them letting it go.

But the Hattons 66 was best in class despite its issues, if Accurascale address it all, it will be the undoubted crown of OO models.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5

Great announcement and great to see you guys taking on this class. The 2 things that jump out straight away for me is: 1) The front cab rail still looks to be made from plastic, therefore looks to bend/be wonky. I personally think this should be metal. 2) The headlight/markers don’t match the colour and intensity of the prototype. This was a major problem for me with the Hattons model. The top marker colour and intensity should match that of the lower 2 markers with the day/night headlight should be a brighter more intense light. The older wipac style light clusters have a “warm” coloured glow to them whereas the newer light clusters have LED’s which have a more “pure white” colour to them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• Accurascale staff
5 minutes ago, Shoey said:

Great announcement and great to see you guys taking on this class. The 2 things that jump out straight away for me is: 1) The front cab rail still looks to be made from plastic, therefore looks to bend/be wonky. I personally think this should be metal. 2) The headlight/markers don’t match the colour and intensity of the prototype. This was a major problem for me with the Hattons model. The top marker colour and intensity should match that of the lower 2 markers with the day/night headlight should be a brighter more intense light. The older wipac style light clusters have a “warm” coloured glow to them whereas the newer light clusters have LED’s which have a more “pure white” colour to them.

Absolutely, the rail is plastic, due to the mounting points, but will be formed from a very rigid type we've used in the past for details, and we've completely replaced the entire PCB and all wiring / LEDS to offer a complexly accurate lighting suite (and our standard stay live, accurathrash speakers, etc)

Edited by McC
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

WOW did not expect that. Wanted a Hattons 66 but was put off by the flaws in the first batch.

however NO EVENING STAR???? I would have thought that would be a good seller. I was really hoping Hattons would do this in a second batch.

Accurascale exclusive maybe???

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

one thing I should add, at least its all in the open about how this 66 moved from Hattons to Accurascale..

unlike the fog of the EFE 143/144.

That's my thoughts on this development. Out in the open, honest and building on the excellent relationship between company and customer. The Hatton's 66 is/was a good engine, with very little wrong with it overall and pushing the boundaries of what can be done. I think it got a massively unfair press from media, commentators and parrots repeating someone else's view without their own thinking. The toys thrown out of the pram over the model prove that it was done well and had to be undermined. The livery choices still allow for a number of different engines to be done, including some 'celebs' that have not been covered by anyone yet. I also think some done might be re-done with a model to higher standards, but will have to wait and see. 

An excellent move showing how the companies and parts within it can form effective and sensible ways forwards maximising the expertise of both. Some companies out there should take note. This is how its done. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

WOW did not expect that. Wanted a Hattons 66 but was put off by the flaws in the first batch.

however NO EVENING STAR???? I would have thought that would be a good seller. I was really hoping Hattons would do this in a second batch.

Accurascale exclusive maybe???

Certainly it's bound to be someone's exclusive.  MAYBE NRM?  Even though it's not in the national collection it's namesake is and I reckon they might go out on a limb for this?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

A question on 66507, will it have what appears to be a green surround on the Freightliner logo? Looking on Flickr I can’t see the green surround on photos, it could well be there in reality but I can’t see a picture of it. I quite like the idea of renumbering it to 506 in a later era, but a green surround would stop that idea?

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Very clever business move and definitely delivering something really positive for the hobby.  Now the $64,000 question - which you probably won't answer at this time in public - is does it extend to Hattons other adventure into r-t-r  (where a basically pretty good body was accompanied by some very strange mechanism arrangements and variable performance?   Only asking becai use I can think of various things it would really go with.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Round of applause 2

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, XChris said:

A question on 66507, will it have what appears to be a green surround on the Freightliner logo? Looking on Flickr I can’t see the green surround on photos, it could well be there in reality but I can’t see a picture of it.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

73C69E14-874A-457B-A97A-D8684C52E7D6.png.b8c2dfd945a0d653635aeb7b101c591d.pngWhat a time to be alive ! what a time to be a modeller ! My entire fleet is rendered obsolete 

Here's a shed an hour ago - he gave me big tonezzz (sorry about that ,I'm 50 not 15 ).

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 2
  • Funny 4

Not something I expected, but interesting!

The main thing I would ask is whether the WIPAC light clusters will be the correct size? They looked too large on the original Hattons versions.

Another vote for EM/P4 wheelsets too! Although the axleboxes might make this tricky.

Edited by Pillar

It's good to see what was developed by Hattons not going to be wasted and have some reworking by Accurascale who are expert at noting all the detail changes and will no doubt be churning out all the new liveries that continue to be applied. Price is good as well

• Like 2