Class 66, By Accurascale

10 hours ago, Torbay Express said:

Hi Danny, there is a lighting mod I believe that is available I think from illuminated models, to fix the bug eyes.  From seeing a you tube clip of it, it's pretty simple to do. 

Personally I don't think that any of the special liveries produced by Hattons will be different enough under the Accurascale banner to warrant another run of the same locomotives.  However there are plenty of others that can be done. 

Really want a 66747....

Best wishes. 

I've done my 3 bug eyes hattons with illuminated models replacement boards and can confirm its very easy to do. Also changed the wiring to link up to a 10 function decoder so mine have independent marker/day/night/tail and cab lights at each end. I'm sure the new one will have all this sorted. Hardest bit was worrying about getting the body off after reading about it online. As it happens it's not difficult if u use plastikard spaces and unhook the handrails. Importantly it goes back together well with a reassuring click.

If u have a particularly dim lit loco I found opening out the slits ever so slightly made a big difference. I also had one with a cracked light feed which didn't help but hattons replaced. I also needed some black sticky tack to stop light bleed.

With a bit of weathering these locos look fab IMO so am looking forward to seeing more produced!

• Like 1

Question for Accurascale:

Not seen this mentioned, is the possibility of light bleed from the cab light being addressed?

My Hattons 66780 has light bleed through the top of the cab roof and the only to fix it is to strip each cab out to enable the lighting board to be removed so the roof can be painted.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

If u have a particularly dim lit loco I found opening out the slits ever so slightly made a big difference

Out of interest and may sound silly. Which is the slit your on about? As one of my tail lamps is dim on 66789. Is the Black plastic cover, which is covering / protecting the LEDS or is it the light pipe on the body?

Many Thanks

52 minutes ago, Creampot Junction said:

Out of interest and may sound silly. Which is the slit your on about? As one of my tail lamps is dim on 66789. Is the Black plastic cover, which is covering / protecting the LEDS or is it the light pipe on the body?

Many Thanks

It's the black plastic cover. Worth checking there are no cracks in the light pipes too before opening out. I also remembered I had one light feed with a load of superglue on it which had caused it to frost over 

• Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

I see Rainbow Railways have reduced the Maritime model 66 they have,is this a sign...........Maritime must be a contender for Accurascaling

I would think its a cert at some point. Given its been done by two FOC never mind model companies. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I had the pleasure of Steves ear and handling the new 66 this weekend.

imagine my eyes, when he simply turned it upside down and unclipped the body… ok you might think, but anyone with a few of the Hattons ones will know how “interesting” it currently is considering cab steps, side pipes need to be “nurtured” before removing currently.

Cab Steps look lovely and solid on the chassis, where they should be ;-)

Indeed Axle boxes looked tight on the wheels too.

(I would consider drilling out the hole for the axle box, in the frame ever so slightly to 2.8mm, its invisible to the naked eye, behind the rotating axlebox as the wheels oscillate, and on the current ones that was what sent the axle boxes down the path of coming loose).

Everything is as you see in the pictures, I still think that the Hattons / now A/S 66 has the best lamp irons in the hobby..

Steves passion for this 66 is fantastic, and you need it as the 66 has so many possible variations. Essentially the answer to every question was “eventually’… there was never a “not possible”…

well hey I like to set a challenge so heres one…

progressrail_20108460001_51.jpg
(url/not mine, never been to Libreville, Gabon).

;-)

But seriously this 66 was a fantastic model before, it really was the one that set the trend. With the tweaks it needs this will set the market on fire.

So with that a suggestion to the boys…

With so many combos, liveries and options, why not run a competition to select one ?

Open up a time limited suggestions box, then put the responses to a vote ?

Winning vote gets added to the range ?

I promise I wont persuade GBRF to paint a giant whale on the side of a 66 with a name of SheddyMcShedface.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Accurascale staff
6 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Question for Accurascale:

Not seen this mentioned, is the possibility of light bleed from the cab light being addressed?

My Hattons 66780 has light bleed through the top of the cab roof and the only to fix it is to strip each cab out to enable the lighting board to be removed so the roof can be painted.

Hi @Pre Grouping fan,

It certainly is something we are looking to eradicate.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

imagine my eyes, when he simply turned it upside down and unclipped the body… ok you might think, but anyone with a few of the Hattons ones will know how “interesting” it currently is considering cab steps, side pipes need to be “nurtured” before removing currently.

Cab Steps look lovely and solid on the chassis, where they should be ;-)

Indeed Axle boxes looked tight on the wheels too.

(I would consider drilling out the hole for the axle box, in the frame ever so slightly to 2.8mm, its invisible to the naked eye, behind the rotating axlebox as the wheels oscillate, and on the current ones that was what sent the axle boxes down the path of coming loose).

Everything is as you see in the pictures, I still think that the Hattons / now A/S 66 has the best lamp irons in the hobby..

Steves passion for this 66 is fantastic, and you need it as the 66 has so many possible variations. Essentially the answer to every question was “eventually’… there was never a “not possible”…

well hey I like to set a challenge so heres one…

progressrail_20108460001_51.jpg
(url/not mine, never been to Libreville, Gabon).

;-)

But seriously this 66 was a fantastic model before, it really was the one that set the trend. With the tweaks it needs this will set the market on fire.

So with that a suggestion to the boys…

With so many combos, liveries and options, why not run a competition to select one ?

Open up a time limited suggestions box, then put the responses to a vote ?

Winning vote gets added to the range ?

I promise I wont persuade GBRF to paint a giant whale on the side of a 66 with a name of SheddyMcShedface.

35 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

That must have been a bind for him if he wears glasses............

on the shed front they could do European ones too for the dudes on the giant continental rock.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

It's the black plastic cover. Worth checking there are no cracks in the light pipes too before opening out. I also remembered I had one light feed with a load of superglue on it which had caused it to frost over 

This has got me nervous now, I have yet to test my Hattons model after dismantelling it to varnish it (I actually had it open last night to refit the black lighting unit into one cab roof after it fell out)....

Fingers crossed it will be ok....

At least there will be nothing to worry about on any future additions 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 28/02/2023 at 17:13, Shoey said:

Sorry Danny @DRS Crewe On A Mission here are the coupling shots 👍

1E17C444-FF8B-400F-B1DD-C83BE31435A0.png

176CA868-31AB-4F7F-AF68-0CB81B80D9D0.png

Thank you for these @Shoey. These are perfect screenshots from the video. The coupling certainly seems to sit in a central position on the 66 and level with the coal wagons that are attached. This is excellent. 

Thank you. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

The coupling certainly seems to sit ... and level with the coal wagons that are attached.

Don't know what you're looking at but to me, in the 2nd photo, the coupling on the loco is lower than the wagon - you can see the hook angling upwards

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Graham108 said:

Don't know what you're looking at but to me, in the 2nd photo, the coupling on the loco is lower than the wagon - you can see the hook angling upwards

Maybe slightly but I’m not going to read too much into this. I have this happen on my layout sometimes if the couplings aren’t connected properly or if locos and wagons are different brands there can be a slight variation in coupling height. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• RMweb Gold

A few pictures I managed to snap of 66’s being constructed in Canada here (London Ontario),28th September 2000.

7184D935-D8AD-4471-A595-BE187CC42846.jpeg

AEFB8AEA-5179-429E-8B9E-6D18816F85E0.jpeg

810D264C-2E82-4EDD-ACCC-DF76E3F700EB.jpeg
66522/66606

There was another one, unwraps, ready to go… perils of film cameras in those days, I got a bit of fence in it.. but note buffers removed.

4F05E814-0EBF-4933-BAF8-9FDF28DD620C.jpeg.b1760b1de9a1ef56c4afcc381f12ae97.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
Date
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

A few pictures I managed to snap of 66’s being constructed in Canada here (London Ontario), 28th Sept 2002..

unknown

66522/66606

There was another one, unwraps, ready to go… perils of film cameras in those days, I got a bit of fence in it.. but note buffers removed.

Really does show the difference in loading gauge. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

A few pictures I managed to snap of 66’s being constructed in Canada here (London Ontario),28th September 2000.

66522/66606

Cracking pictures John,spooky you get 66521, theres film of these coming off the boat at Newport on you tube but i think 521 must be edited out.or the batch must have split around them sailing.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 26/02/2023 at 23:07, atom3624 said:

I'd say for 'specials' the Flying Dustman and Evening Star would sell well.

So many options I'm sure.

Al.

Got a Hattons 66783 for £99 with "glue marks" on the roof.  Removed in 15 seconds.

Bargain!

I'm not too sure it would be a good idea to repeat previously released Hattons number/livery combinations.

As Hattons did with their production run - they didn't copy any other number/livery from other manufacturers previous releases.

Yet other manufacturers copied Hattons list.......

As for specials that have already been produced by others - 66779/66718/66720/66721 for example, then there may be some argument to making them now.

As for my wishlist:

I'm waiting for a Euro spec 66 and a G&W orange one.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

52 minutes ago, newbryford said:

As for specials that have already been produced by others - 66779/66718/66720/66721 for example, then there may be some argument to making them now.

As for my wishlist:

I'm waiting for a Euro spec 66 and a G&W orange one.

Mine would start with GBRf’s “Crossrail”, “Chinook” and “HMS Argyl”.

720 in its current Wascosa livery would be nice too 😀

Any of the “Power Signalbox” ones, ie Colchester, Cambridge or Peterborough.

They are doing Severn Valley Railway in the first batch so Swanage Railway etc will surely follow in due course.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 27/02/2023 at 11:40, The Black Hat said:

Scotsman pair done by Hattons so dont think there's a need to replicate that again. 

Hattons 66743 is incorrect as is 66746. They carry RETB pods on the sloped section of the roof.

This was for the GBFM pool to work up the Scottish branches.

Fitted around 2015 without major researching as to the exact dates.

Sometime 2017-2018 (again don't have exact dates), the NRN pods were removed, leaving just the RETB one on the slope.

Hattons 66740 is the same - i.e. without the extra pod.

(I've 3D printed one and put it on my 740 and removed the NRN pod. I will be doing the same with my 743 and a mates 746.

The same applies to all the GBFM pool - 66733/736/737/739/740/743/746.

This is 66740 with both pods. Flickr pics

66740 at Eastleigh

And later with the NRN one removed.

66740 - Stenson Junction, Derbyshire

There's also some variance in a small batch that have the drawgear at a different height!

It was discussed on the Hattons 66 thread

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2