Class 66, By Accurascale

Question about the 'limited edition' status of AS exclusives.

Is the batch split between sound and non-sound? Or are they two separate items?

Or put another way, is a limited edition of 600, actually 600, or 1200 (600 sound, 600 non-sound), or 600 models of which X have sound and Y have no sound (where X+Y=600)?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• Accurascale staff
21 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Question about the 'limited edition' status of AS exclusives.

Is the batch split between sound and non-sound? Or are they two separate items?

Or put another way, is a limited edition of 600, actually 600, or 1200 (600 sound, 600 non-sound), or 600 models of which X have sound and Y have no sound (where X+Y=600)?

Hi @G-BOAF,

It's split between sound and no sound. So, a limited edition of 500 could be 250 sound fitted and 250 DC.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

Finally unboxed and test run 66779. Oh My!

Absolutely stunning. Really fantastic. No other words, other than will need to chip to get the best from the lighting functions at yard speed.

In particular

1. Decoration on this livery is incredible (as I'm sure they all are),

2. crisp moulding

3. no details floating round the box

4. silent running aside from wheels on rails

5. I looks every inch like a 66.

Question: Do the later-build 66s not have the pipework under the roof grill? Or have mine somehow been missed off?

Potential negatives:

1. As I suspected from the photos on here, the removable roof hatch sits very slightly proud of the rest of the roof, thankfully not particularly jarring on a black roof. A fraction of a mm. This is a shame. Potentially either due to slight differences in tooling of this new (and later) part, or maybe even due to thickness of paint on both the bodyshell and removable roof section.

2. There is some slight jerky running in one direction. I hope this smooths out with running in. Will report back.

2 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Potential negatives:

1. As I suspected from the photos on here, the removable roof hatch sits very slightly proud of the rest of the roof, thankfully not particularly jarring on a black roof. A fraction of a mm. This is a shame. Potentially either due to slight differences in tooling of this new (and later) part, or maybe even due to thickness of paint on both the bodyshell and removable roof section.

Could be too much glue on the magnets making them sit proud. Others have noted this on the 66 and I had it on a 37.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Dutch-Traindriver said:

How to get that roof hatch, where the decoder is behind, off. On my locomotive it seems to be stuck. Is there a trick to it?

The Magnets are a lot stronger then I thought they be so I bit off effort it needed to pull off. Just be careful as the magnets don't come unstuck while your doing it.  Just make sure the loco is safe while your doing it aswell 

Chris

Edited by Creampot Junction
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 17/06/2024 at 18:33, classy52 said:

Well there is a few on here plus more on YouTube who have experienced this sound issue resonating thru the body thus not exactly isolated and genuinely surprised this hasn't surfaced with any of your samples or production models and remember these are currently restricted to Phase 1/2 sound files or loco's at the moment and I've already stated my 66122 is sound issue free.

Ok, I will contact support and initially provide video recordings and see how we go from there.

I know this subject came up rather a long time ago, but what ever happened to the issue with vibration. Has anyone had a definitive answer re the problem, or has the vibration just disappeared!

Edited by zr2498
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

I know this subject came up rather a long time ago, but what ever happened to the issue with vibration. Has anyone had a definitive answer re the problem, or has the vibration just disappeared!

How funny, I was about to post another finding which I just came across but you posted just before me, got nothing else to do on a crappy and rainy Friday night.

Anyway, just now I was playing around with my 60004 where I had installed a spare latest ESU 8ohm 50346 speaker to see how it would perform in the AS Class 66 whilst I wait for my pre-ordered Accurathrash 8ohm speaker and to be honest I was disappointed, set to the same sound levels (bass, treble & volume - 30-30-192 respectively) as my factory sound 66122 the ESU speaker had a noticeable crackle when the engine started up as if it couldn't handle the sound decoder/file and yes adjusted down the sound settings but the crackle was still there and just didn't sound as deep as the AS factory fit thus overall just sounded inferior to the Accurathrash speaker in my 66122.

So I whipped out the 8ohm Accurathrash speaker from my Class 92 92020 and swapped it with the ESU 8ohm and it sounds pretty good in the 92 with no crackles thus I can safely say the ESU speaker isn't faulty but weird how it couldn't perform in the 66004, maybe the sound file in the 66???

Now, when I put in the AS speaker in 66004 straight away the sound vibration/buzzing started but weird this time because this is the Phase 0 decoder/file which hasn't given me any issues in 66122 or when I had the ESU speaker in 66004 there was no resonation but appeared as soon as I put in the Accurathrash thus buzzing when engine is on and when I put my finger on the speaker on the left hand side  of the speaker the buzzing stopped and whilst doing that I had an epiphany looking down on the PCB...see photo below.

20240705_215938.jpg.79143a5238cd031557410543f7336e45.jpg

Don't ask me why but I decided to remove one of the PCB screws, circled in blue, and the buzzing instantly stopped!

The buzzing always eminates from that end of the speaker/PCB which was also evident on my other 4 Class 66's (Phase 1/2's) which are with Simon at Accurascale currently being investigated so I can't test this out on those 66's but that screw being removed has turned my 66004 into somewhat of a beast just by removing that PCB screw.

If anyone else has any sound vibration/buzzing in their 66's try removing that screw and see if that resolves it, will be interesting to see if it does or perhaps I got lucky?

I'll let Simon at Accurascale know as well.

Cheers Steve

Edited by classy52
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Accurascale staff

Hi folks,

Decorated samples of our second run are well under way. Once we receive them in the coming weeks we will announce them! There are some rather nice ones in there!

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

54 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi folks,

Decorated samples of our second run are well under way. Once we receive them in the coming weeks we will announce them! There are some rather nice ones in there!

Cheers!

Fran

Oh, you tease!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, zr2498 said:

One of the vibration problems is also the fit of the exhaust to the roof section. On my 66415 the vibration was awful but stopped if I put my finger on the exhaust. I noticed that there was a gap between the roof section and the exhaust which was causing the vibration. I decided to take the removable section off but in doing so the exhaust came away from the roof. So, I glued the exhaust back in place and ensured the exhaust sat fully on the roof and now the vibration has gone.

I still have a very low vibration, which isn't really noticeable, but will try Classy52's fix above to see if it removes it.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 minutes ago, Tony Walker said:

One of the vibration problems is also the fit of the exhaust to the roof section. On my 66415 the vibration was awful but stopped if I put my finger on the exhaust. I noticed that there was a gap between the roof section and the exhaust which was causing the vibration. I decided to take the removable section off but in doing so the exhaust came away from the roof. So, I glued the exhaust back in place and ensured the exhaust sat fully on the roof and now the vibration has gone.

I still have a very low vibration, which isn't really noticeable, but will try Classy52's fix above to see if it removes it.

Yes exactly the issue I had with my 4 66's that are with Accurascale Support atm, I didn't try to take off the exhaust and re-fit because I would have broken them as they were tightly glued in.

Good that you managed to do it but yes try removing that particular screw & test.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks parking breaky to me, similar to the bit that keeps falling off the Bachmann model

possibly off the top of the bogie, inner end of it at the big cab end, same side as the battery switch 

6 hours ago, MightyMirrlees said:

Does anyone have any idea where this part has broken off from? Had a few loose parts on one of my Class 66s and I’ve stuck them back but I cannot find where this one goes.

Any help appreciated.

IMG_1569.jpeg

It is this piece on the inside of the left hand bogie frame at the exhaust end.

20240706_165149.jpg.bed259f19af5471e9e646975bc226ab6.jpg

Hope this helps.

Cheers Steve

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

On 03/07/2024 at 12:27, AY Mod said:

Can't get a Climate Hero 66 with sound?

You still could if you pre-book your ticket for our show at the NEC.

Draw Accurascale 66 copy 3.jpg

Visit https://www.rmweb.co.uk/shows/nfrm-2024/ for the show details and the link to book tickets.

Yes it will be nice to win a 66, but the event has made my ears stand up! This is excellent news! Shall be booking!

• Like 1

Just purchased by 7th Class 66 yesterday, a DCC Ready (soon to be sound) weathered 66171 off an eBay auction and was the only bidder thus got it for £179.95 plus postage which is highly unusual of me to do that but thought I would give it a go and didn't mind the weathering which was apparently done by Rails and looked good in the photo's.

• Like 2