Class 66, By Accurascale

Just received my 6th and final 66 for now as in 66004.

Again delivered in a humungous box like my previous one but minus the cardboard Accurascale ends that go on each end of the loco box and just dawned on me I didn't get those with the other delivery of 66122, no biggy just an observation.

Plus the loco box was sitting at the bottom of the huge box with all the bubble packaging on top thus it really had no impact protection on the bottom side but luckily it was delivered unscathed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

If your into what they can move in scale heres a weathered up 66763 at the DEMU show doing its stuff on a scale length stone train.

Must say I enjoyed the heavy haul 'diagrams' on show at DEMU on Saturday.

Very much looking forward to the dual speaker arrangement when my FL arrives. 20 feet of track certainly would add to the experience aswell.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Accurascale...now that I've selfishly got all the Accurascale 66's I need and you are practically sold out via direct & retailers when can we expect details about Run 2???...keep up the momentum 😉

1 hour ago, classy52 said:

Just received my 6th and final 66 for now as in 66004.

Again delivered in a humungous box like my previous one but minus the cardboard Accurascale ends that go on each end of the loco box and just dawned on me I didn't get those with the other delivery of 66122, no biggy just an observation.

Plus the loco box was sitting at the bottom of the huge box with all the bubble packaging on top thus it really had no impact protection on the bottom side but luckily it was delivered unscathed.

I had exactly the same arrangement for my 779. I don't understand why the bubble packaging wasn't sandwiching the model. Also no protection on the sides. Not that impressed as retailers have packaged models better (top bottom front back with poly nuts or bubblewrap). Box seems intact though which is good. Not had a chance to look inside yet.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Whilst at the DEMU show yesterday got asked by a few to post this video on here. Due it not playing on youtube after uploading 🤷‍♂️

If you have similar rattle/vibration as per video from your 66 this maybe a fix. 

Loosen the screws on the PCB and place a TINY amount of black-tac or similar between the middle of the chassis and PCB tighten screws, job done!

Only had the problem on one out of five of my 66s

HTH

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, BigDee said:

Whilst at the DEMU show yesterday got asked by a few to post this video on here. Due it not playing on youtube after uploading 🤷‍♂️

If you have similar rattle/vibration as per video from your 66 this maybe a fix. 

Loosen the screws on the PCB and place a TINY amount of black-tac or similar between the middle of the chassis and PCB tighten screws, job done!

HTH

Well I have put a bead of black tac around the chassis and where the wires come through the PCB then screwed down on my GBRf 66 that turned up today and was able to turn bass and treble to 30 and volume to 185. Very slight rattle that lasts about 2 seconds on full thrash. Big improvement!! 💯👍🏻

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, BigDee said:

HTH

That's exactly the sound I get on all 4 66's (excluding 66122), like a buzzing/scratching sound if that best describes it and yes will give your advice a go...not exactly stuff I want to do on a £260 loco but there you go.

Accurascale need to take a look at how to eliminate this issue before production starts on the next batch.

Cheers Steve

• Agree 1

• Accurascale staff
1 minute ago, classy52 said:

That's exactly the sound I get on all 4 66's (excluding 66122), like a buzzing/scratching sound if that best describes it and yes will give your advice a go...not exactly stuff I want to do on a £260 loco but there you go.

Accurascale need to take a look at how to eliminate this issue before production starts on the next batch.

Cheers Steve

As always , if you ever have an issue with anything, contact support. An issue is by definition an exception, to be resolved not something you ever should accept. 

16 minutes ago, McC said:

As always , if you ever have an issue with anything, contact support. An issue is by definition an exception, to be resolved not something you ever should accept. 

Yes fair enough but this isn't an issue with the components as everything works fine but with how it's all put together and whether it's in harmony or not with the chassis block.

All I'm asking, and probably would speak for a lot on here, is for Accurascale to investigate & eliminate the resonation issue thru the chassis before the next production run because you've pretty much nailed this Class 66 but when it comes to sound there is a slight issue which detracts from the overall package that is a class leader.

To be honest, I'm not going to send 4 loco's back to you at your expense & my time for something that I can do myself to minimize or eliminate the sound resonation issues that myself & others are experiencing but yes down to individuals whether they choose this route(66) or not.

We are just providing feedback to improve an already fantastic locomotive and hopefully Accurascale take onboard the feedback already received and improve on it...that's all I'm asking.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Accurascale staff
Just now, classy52 said:

Yes fair enough but this isn't an issue with the components as everything works fine but with how it's all put together and whether it's in harmony or not with the chassis block.

All I'm asking, and probably would speak for a lot on here, is for Accurascale to investigate & eliminate the resonation issue thru the chassis before the next production run because you've pretty nailed this Class 66 but when it comes to sound there is a slight issue which detracts from the overall package that is a class leader.

To be honest, I'm not going to send 4 loco's back to you at your expense & my time for something that I can do myself to minimize or eliminate the sound resonation issues that myself & others are experiencing but yes down to individuals whether they choose this route(66) or not.

We are just providing feedback to improve an already fantastic locomotive and hopefully Accurascale take onboard the feedback already received and improve on it...that's all.

Since your loco is the one resonating and not 'everyones' and none of the samples, production versions or models we have, that's exactly why we need you to contact support. If all 4 of them are doing it, it speaks maybe to another issue? Again though, the best source of satisfaction when you have a problem is talk to the people who can fix it. It's not feedback we can act on if it's posted online and forgotten. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

If your into what they can move in scale heres a weathered up 66763 at the DEMU show doing its stuff on a scale length stone train.

Yes, very good but as a convincing indicator of haulage power I'd prefer to see how much a loco can haul on gradients.

For example could it cope with that lot on a helix?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 minutes ago, McC said:

Since your loco is the one resonating and not 'everyones' and none of the samples, production versions or models we have, that's exactly why we need you to contact support. If all 4 of them are doing it, it speaks maybe to another issue? Again though, the best source of satisfaction when you have a problem is talk to the people who can fix it. It's not feedback we can act on if it's posted online and forgotten. 

Well there is a few on here plus more on YouTube who have experienced this sound issue resonating thru the body thus not exactly isolated and genuinely surprised this hasn't surfaced with any of your samples or production models and remember these are currently restricted to Phase 1/2 sound files or loco's at the moment and I've already stated my 66122 is sound issue free.

Ok, I will contact support and initially provide video recordings and see how we go from there.

Edited by classy52
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, big jim said:

The outer packaging they came in is huge, I think I managed to hide my 3 from my wife though

IMG_7552.jpeg

Oh!………

IMG_7553.jpeg

What a great excuse…

Let me keep all the trains and i’ll make you famous on the internet.

• Funny 3

3 hours ago, BigDee said:

HTH

I found the culprit.... not the removable panel, but a rattle between the exhaust and the panel. Reglued, vibration gone 👍🏻

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi,

I wonder if the Accurascale 66 is more true to life than anybody has realised, including myself?

Spend a twelve hour shift on the real thing and you'll soon see and hear all sorts of annoying rattles/noises/vibrations that you simply don't get on a 60 for example.

The 66's were hated for it and were subject to a number of frankly, pointless, mods to overcome these issues on later versions, such as sound deadening materials being added.

The truth is, it doesn't matter how good that Drivers seat is, it's still bolted to the same piece of metal floor as the prime mover, so vibrations are always going to be a thing!

Then, to compensate for all that noise and vibration, the AWS sounder is much louder too!

The most insulting 'mod' carried out was painting the cab roofs white to somehow control the high cab temps in the summer, like we were being given the most fantastic 'innovation' in the world!

I can't believe how I disliked them so much, but just HAD to have a decent model when it came along!

After several weeks on shed, Im finally taking my 171' out for a run tomorrow....

Shed.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Melton Works said:

I found the culprit.... not the removable panel, but a rattle between the exhaust and the panel. Reglued, vibration gone 👍🏻

That's really interesting, it may explain why using my finger to press down on the exhaust on the roof panel eliminated the vibration/buzzing sound but thinking it was the roof panel itself not sitting true or tight enough.

Was the exhaust on the roof panel actually loose?...to be honest mine seem tightly fitted and don't require gluing.

20 minutes ago, classy52 said:

That's really interesting, it may explain why using my finger to press down on the exhaust on the roof panel eliminated the vibration/buzzing sound but thinking it was the roof panel itself not sitting true or tight enough.

Was the exhaust on the roof panel actually loose?...to be honest mine seem tightly fitted and don't require gluing.

The centre pin of the exhaust is pushed and glued into the roof panel. It was tight, but the exhaust brakets were rattling on the roof. Cracked off the glue, put a drop of superglue on 4 corners and centre pin, pushed right down until set. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, rs4 said:

Apologies for asking this…. 

Is a body swap easy enough to do ?

Hope your not talking about @big jim’s wife? Whilst she didn’t look happy, swapping seems a bit radical!

Roy

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, rs4 said:

Apologies for asking this…. 

Is a body swap easy enough to do ?

Yes..

this is gutted spare Biffa body on 66004’s chassis..IMG_9254.jpeg.10fb7fc8c2ffb7bb2f12ad1e645ff748.jpeg

The main thing is do your research, the low emission chassis is different to the standard chassis, and theres a few detail differences like front sandboxes between versions too.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1