Class 66, By Accurascale

8 hours ago, GBRf 66 The Flying Dustman said:

Well hopefully all the little workers at Accurascale are getting through all those pallets of 66s to start sending them out to customers 

Little workers ? It’s not Willy Wonkas 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

Posted (edited)

Not a personal fan of 66s although I recognise how they have saved UK railfreight from terminal decline. Watching the youtube video from the Bo'ness diesel gala, I notice how different 66309 is from previous "indigenous" UK class 66s.  The radiator grille is more or less "floor to ceiling" so were there any like this, or was this a Euro spec design. 

Also the pipsqueak horn is like nothing I have heard before.  Is this common to the batch 66306-66316 ? Morework for Accurascale maybe ? 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToziPhC75kM

Edited by Covkid

9 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Not a personal fan of 66s although I recognise how they have saved UK railfreight from terminal decline. Watching the youtube video from the Bo'ness diesel gala, I notice how different 66309 is from previous "indigenous" UK class 66s.  The radiator grille is more or less "floor to ceiling" so were there any like this, or was this a Euro spec design. 

Also the pipsqueak horn is like nothing I have heard before.  Is this common to the batch 66306-66316 ? Morework for Accurascale maybe ? 

First sight of the new Caledonian Sleeper trains? 🤣

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Covkid said:

The larger cooler group and extra bodyside door are later Tier 2 or "low emission" locos. Both UK and Europe had them. 66951, the first of these locos, was delivered in 2004. Any built before this date have the smaller grill and no extra door.

UK low emission locos have a smaller fuel tank, but those built for Europe have the full 6400 litre tank seen on the older locos.

Ex Euro locos (with that nasty horn) can be spotted because the horn box above the windscreens is huge.

66747-749 and 66790-792 are also ex Euro but had the horns replaced with UK spec horns

Jo

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Shoey said:

1 of 6 is on its way to me! 😃

IMG_8271.jpeg

I have the same email sent the same time for the same loco!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Krieghoff said:

Nothing yet 🙏🙏. Hoping its not long for my two 66's (evening star and prostate cancer specials)

they look absolutely awesome. 

same here but then i be volunteering all week at the railway,    so hoping thy come this week so they be ready for next weeks run on the layout 

• RMweb Premium
On 27/05/2024 at 23:38, Hilux5972 said:

Looking forward to my 66779 email. 

Its on the Drax biomass at the present time,you might have to wait or our lights will be out....................:)

Guess it is in container two arriving today, ive got two EWS/DB ones and DRS today with luck ........

• Like 2

Mine is here :D

66.jpg.3a3f39725da25620fe43316e9bcfb6c5.jpg

Fitting drivers and detailed bufferbeam this evening. Which end is the 'front' - I assume the end opposite the exhaust?

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Love the packaging.........

IMG_0396[1].JPG

Yes the package is lovely, it makes the experience of opening it  feel more luxurious. The contents are up to Accurascales normal high standard with the booklets and cards to aid in getting the model up and running. 

they model is lovely I like the weight, plenty of fine detail I’m no expert on the 66 so won’t comment on it to much other than to say it’s quite forgiving and bends allowing a clumsy Otho to manage to remove the body and fit the crew plus detailed buffer beam without breaking anything, bonus. 

one thing about the sound, which I do love the alarm a nice touch when starting. However what is the popping sound after shut down? I take it the real thing dose it

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Overall, I'm really impressed! The model runs incredibly smoothly. My Accurascale Class 37 grinds a bit but the Class 66 is silent!

Only a couple of minor parts suffered in the mail: an aerial and part of the hand brake mechanism. The latter appears to have come from around the back, top edge of the bogie, so I may not bother re-fitting it.

Installing a chip took just a minute. In fact, it took longer to figure out which section of the roof lifted off! The seam is nearly invisible.

There's no control over the headlights with a Hornby HM7000 chip but luckily for me, I only have a small plank layout, so yard lights and tail lights are sufficient. The modifications made to the light cluster dimensions really enhance the model's appearance.

I have noticed a few areas where the detail doesn't quite match that of other models offered by Accurascale. However, considering this is an inherited tooling from around 2018, it's understandable. If I were to nitpick, updated buffer heads with webbing on the rear would have been an easy and welcome update. That said, I appreciate the opportunity to add more details to the model myself, as the tiny details are my favourite bits to add!

I will definitely be picking up a couple more when appropriate locos are announced.

IMG_2937.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Pikey said:

Mine is here :D

66.jpg.3a3f39725da25620fe43316e9bcfb6c5.jpg

Fitting drivers and detailed bufferbeam this evening. Which end is the 'front' - I assume the end opposite the exhaust?

The No1 end as it's referred to is the large cab (exhaust end).

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Pikey said:

Which end is the 'front' - I assume the end opposite the exhaust?

I don't sign the Class 66 so I cannot be certain, but I believe the electrical end (big cab) is the No. 1 end and the radiator end (small cab) is the No. 2 end, which I think is different to normal practice.  I'm sure @big jim or another of my fellow drivers will correct me if I'm wrong.

• Informative/Useful 1

9 minutes ago, Marcoblanco said:

Can't control  lights with hm chip? Must be a way round that...

Markers and tails work as they should. Headlights, be it left or right (night or day) don’t. 

31 minutes ago, dave75 said:

Sorry if this is a repeated question, what's the DCC chip of choice for a non sound fitted model?

I understand that the model is optimised for ESU decoders and that Accurascale will be releasing decoders as a separate purchase for those who don't have them pre-fitted.

23 minutes ago, Marcoblanco said:

Can't control  lights with hm chip? Must be a way round that...

I think there was something mentioned a few pages back, which I think was a workaround/fix, but can't remember off the top of my head.  Sorry.