Class 66, By Accurascale

21 hours ago, Creampot Junction said:

Excellent list you have there. Just to let you know you have entered DB cargos No.66148 Maritime Intermodal Seven twice. 

Thank you @Creampot Junction.  Thanks for letting me know about the duplicated row, as it must have happened whilst making other edits.  I'll ensure it is removed before releasing version 3.

20 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Brilliant piece of research!

Thank you for the feedback @adb968008.

18 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

I don't know if it's my dodgy eyesight, but, I can't see a 66/3 in DRS livery. Excellent list by the way.

Thank you @PieGuyRob.  I think that is a bit of an oversight on my part, being that I added the ex-DRS 66/3.  I'll ensure that it is added to the next version.

I have a couple of other changes that I need to make to the list, so will make them as soon as I can and update the post with the new file.  In the meantime, if anyone has any other liveries that I have missed, then please let me know and I'll add them.

Thanks again for the feedback.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 13/03/2023 at 12:49, adb968008 said:

The class 67 is a similar design to an Israeli JT42 class (87mph), indeed i’m surprised our spare 67’s havent migrated to Israel as there fleet is extensively used.

Israel Railways purchased 48 of the Spanish-built JT42BW Bo'Bo' type (in several batches) plus 9 of the similar Co'Co' type, JT42CW.

However, we are not in need of any more similar locos, as electrification of most passenger lines is progressing rapidly. As the JT42BWs are the oldest diesels in passenger service, some will be withdrawn (any takers?) while others might get re-geared for freight service - assuming work will be found for them, which is a bit of a problem at the moment.

Edited by Chen Melling

On 13/03/2023 at 00:16, R. Knowles said:

Although if that had been the case, they might have came in at least three different variants: a Type 1/2 GP-type, V8-powered Bo-Bo hood unit, a mid-range (Co-Co/A1A-A1A), V12 Type 3 design and of course the large Type 4/5 V16 Co-Co for what would have been then heaviest traffic! Maybe not as interesting as what was conceived otherwise but they certainly would have done the job! 

This was essentially achieved in Ireland, with (resp.) Class 121/141, re-engined Class 001 and Class 071 (with a turbocharged V12 instead of a V16).

On 13/03/2023 at 12:49, adb968008 said:

for 68’s..

you can compare Euro-light and UK light here

https://www.mainlinediesels.net/index.php?nav=1000001&file=vl_68001_51&action=image#title

Theres a picture of them double heading here (68001 leading but in Vossloh livery)

https://www.mainlinediesels.net/index.php?nav=1000001&lang=en&file=vl_68001_52&action=image#title

Adif of Spain recently bought 22 UK spec Eurolights.. with standard stadler cabs… I wonder if someday they might come here ?

you can see the height difference between the specs, and the below body profile here (though the label incorrectly puts it as Eurolight)

A close relative of the Eurolight / UKlight family is Israel Railways' Euro3200. It has similar bogies, buffers and (presumaly) underframe and body construction, but built to a larger loading gauge, and more importantly, with an EMD power package (including a 12-710G3C-U2 engine) as per IR's requirements.

The 24 members of this 160km/h (100mph) class are considered very rough riders. In fact, Stadler eventually agreed to supply IR with a free compensation loco. However, this was to be of the much more agreeable 130km/h capable Euro4000 Co'Co', of which IR already had 14 examples in service, both greight and passenger.

1107602_f7100_03_01.20181319-1306.JPG.4bae0570ac15bcb62eb04dd283731a45.JPG

Israel Railways Euro3200 Nos. 1306 and 1319 at the Haifa loco depot, 03.01.2018 - photo by Chen Melling

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Chen Melling said:

A close relative of the Eurolight / UKlight family is Israel Railways' Euro3200. It has similar bogies, buffers and (presumaly) underframe and body construction, but built to a larger loading gauge, and more importantly, with an EMD power package (including a 12-710G3C-U2 engine) as per IR's requirements.

The 24 members of this 160km/h (100mph) class are considered very rough riders. In fact, Stadler eventually agreed to supply IR with a free compensation loco. However, this was to be of the much more agreeable 130km/h capable Euro4000 Co'Co', of which IR already had 14 examples in service, both greight and passenger.

1107602_f7100_03_01.20181319-1306.JPG.4bae0570ac15bcb62eb04dd283731a45.JPG

Israel Railways Euro3200 Nos. 1306 and 1319 at the Haifa loco depot, 03.01.2018 - photo by Chen Melling

I’m very surprised Israel didnt buy the Afro 4000’s and get a deal with Stadler for new bogies. According to some reports less than 1000 miles and under $100k each… ended up in Tanzania, though they had EMD16-710 engines 

Edited by adb968008

18 hours ago, ruggedpeak said:

779? There was the Locomotion Ltd Edn in gloss IIRC, and a standard range version by Bachmann. Certainly the latter took a while to shift.

Those are the two releases I am aware of.

15 hours ago, norfolkchinaclay said:

and with the bell in situ

The Locomotion release came with a bell (as additional detail to fit), standard Bachmann release did not as far as I am aware.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

Will 66001/2 be tooled? As far as I'm aware, they had different buffer beam arrangements due to, I think, a lack of a buck eye coupler that all the others had.

The bufferbeam is different to the rest of the 66s and this is why they can't be fitted with buckeyes (I believe its the dragbox itself preventing fitment). The tie down points are in a different place too. Visually they look very similar to the 59/1s and 59/2s.

Jo

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

The bufferbeam is different to the rest of the 66s and this is why they can't be fitted with buckeyes (I believe its the dragbox itself preventing fitment). The tie down points are in a different place too. Visually they look very similar to the 59/1s and 59/2s.

Jo

So to get an accurate 66001/2, it would be better converting a Dapol 59/2 in EWS livery?

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

So to get an accurate 66001/2, it would be better converting a Dapol 59/2 in EWS livery?

No, you'd be better taking an Accurascale 66 and drilling some extra holes either side of the dragbox, moving the tie down loops and fitted a screw link. There's very little common between a 66 and a 59.

First shot of the year

20220511_184530_copy_3024x2268.jpg.6a881031c5d31ba2beb83169a5ef6a10.jpg

Note 66001 lost its upper tie downs when the trip cock equipment was fitted.

Jo

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Different looking bogies totally than a 59

I'd go so far as to say totally different loco! Only a passing superficial similarity. Surprising how few parts are common to both types.

Jo

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 12/03/2023 at 12:56, Sweetling Park said:

I mentioned in an earlier post that out of curiosity I had compiled a list of the various liveries that the Class 66 has worn.  Since following this thread, I have updated the list when other liveries were mentioned and it has now reached 82 different liveries.  I have decided to share the list in case it is of interest to others.  If I have missed any or if there are any errors, then please let me know and I'll happily update the list.

Update: 13/03/2023

Since posting the original list (60 liveries), I have identified further liveries as well as receiving suggestions from @big jim and @sc2016.  The list now contains 82 different liveries.

Class 66 liveries.pdf 108.28 kB · 65 downloads

Hi, 

Thank you for compiling the list, I have just thought of a few more. 

DB Red liveried 66077 & 66085 have the ‘Powered by HVO’ ‘ Reducing our carbon footprint’ decals and branding on their bodysides. 66077 remains named as ‘Benjamin Gimbert G.C.’. 

66434 also carried full Fastline livery as per 66301-66305. 66434 also carried the numbers ‘434’ on the cab ends without the ‘66’ digits present. 

66737 in full GBRf Europorte livery with cab side and cab end logos carries enlarged ‘37’ digits on the bodysides whilst the ‘667’ digits are the standard smaller size. It’s also named ‘Lesia’. I believe the loco is still currently in this condition, just possibly without the Europorte cab side and cab end logos. 

I’m not sure if you have it noted and listed but some of the Freightliner 66/5s, 66/6s and 66/9s now have new Freightliner logos on the cab sides and cab ends. It’s written in a different font to the original ‘block’ type logo that they had originally when delivered. The new logos have been applied since around 2015 mainly at Leeds Midland Road during cab refurbishment work which has included externally repainted cabs, new and replacement headlight clusters/lights and new Freightliner logos. Of note is that Bachmann and Hattons have never produced a standard Freightliner Green liveried 66 of any sub class with the new Freightliner logo on. This would be an excellent choice for Accurascale because this represents many of the Freightliner examples for the past eight years or so since circa 2015. 

I hope this helps. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

I’m not sure if you have it noted and listed but some of the Freightliner 66/5s, 66/6s and 66/9s now have new Freightliner logos on the cab sides and cab ends. It’s written in a different font to the original ‘block’ type logo that they had originally when delivered. The new logos have been applied since around 2015 mainly at Leeds Midland Road during cab refurbishment work which has included externally repainted cabs, new and replacement headlight clusters/lights and new Freightliner logos. Of note is that Bachmann and Hattons have never produced a standard Freightliner Green liveried 66 of any sub class with the new Freightliner logo on. This would be an excellent choice for Accurascale because this represents many of the Freightliner examples for the past eight years or so since circa 2015. 

I think there was no general release from hattons or Bachmann but there was a Bachmann RoS exclusive with the updated cab logos (and bodyside ones) on the original FL green livery.

image.png.b9ec0cb04c4ac66e4187982030c5620b.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

66434 also carried full Fastline livery as per 66301-66305. 66434 also carried the numbers ‘434’ on the cab ends without the ‘66’ digits present. 

434 also carried a Malcolm livery for a while too if I remember correctly?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, WCML100 said:

I think there was no general release from hattons or Bachmann but there was a Bachmann RoS exclusive with the updated cab logos (and bodyside ones) on the original FL green livery.

image.png.b9ec0cb04c4ac66e4187982030c5620b.png

Yes I believe 66614 is the only exception, but this was unique/a one off and not applied to the fleet as standard. The large Powerhaul style decals on the bodysides are not applied to any other member of the Freightliner fleet that wears Freightliner Green as far as I am aware. The image of 66614 is excellent because it shows what I mean in relation to the updated/new Freightliner logos on the cab ends and cab sides. These updated logos have been applied to many members of the Freightliner fleet during refurbishment. 

6 hours ago, XChris said:

Yes it did and Bachmann and Hattons have never produced this livery either, so this would also be a good choice for Accurascale. 

I don’t think I mentioned this earlier because I think it was already on the list. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

10 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Hi, 

Thank you for compiling the list, I have just thought of a few more. 

[...]

I hope this helps. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Your welcome @DRS Crewe On A Mission and I hope the list has been useful.  Thank you very much for the detailed information, I really appreciate it and will add your suggestions to the next version.

10 hours ago, big jim said:

also 66725 ‘Sunderland’ with its footy club logo 

7AC08096-E213-4742-9DEC-CC5779CEDD07.jpeg.dc617f812930520f5738d5ed4127fbf7.jpeg

Thanks @big jim, I'll add it to the list.

10 hours ago, ruggedpeak said:

Need someone to update and reissue this!

preview20151209.jpg

Thanks @ruggedpeak, that's a rather colourful list.  I think I've spotted liveries which aren't on my list (e.g. ARC yellow), so will cross reference and add any that are missing.

7 hours ago, XChris said:

Thanks @XChris, I'll add it to my list.

Thanks again everyone for your help and feedback, it is much appreciate it.  I'll try and update the list as soon as I can when work commitments allow.

Edited by Sweetling Park
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

37 minutes ago, big jim said:

There are a lot of locos in the pictogram that’s aren’t uk class 66s

I have just looked at the pictogram more closely and can now see that there are differences between them, so thanks for that.  (Sorry, tired eyes after a 12 hour shift at work.)

I also realise my error in that ARC didn't use Class 66, they were actually Class 59s (59/1s if I recall correctly).

Edited by Sweetling Park
  • Like 1