Class 66, By Accurascale

31 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Would another run of 66789 from what is essentially the same tooling be justifiable?

I fully appreciate where you are coming from and that thought had crossed my mind before I suggested it, especially as I know many modellers will already have it.  However, I thought I would include it as I saw it as an opportunity for those who either don't have it or, like myself, started modelling after they were originally released and missed out, to be able to own one.  If it was justifiable, perhaps it could be done as a small batch, say 500 units?  Just a thought.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Sweetling Park said:

I fully appreciate where you are coming from and that thought had crossed my mind before I suggested it, especially as I know many modellers will already have it.  However, I thought I would include it as I saw it as an opportunity for those who either don't have it or, like myself, started modelling after they were originally released and missed out, to be able to own one.  If it was justifiable, perhaps it could be done as a small batch, say 500 units?  Just a thought.

Going off the agree ticks, that's only 495 more to sell. ( or maybe 494....)

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Sweetling Park said:

Could do it in its early three window era before it was modified to two with the white surround.Just so its different to the Hattons one,odd ones do come up at time to time,plenty more to go at rather than doing the ones done already.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Could do it in its early three window era before it was modified to two with the white surround.Just so its different to the Hattons one,odd ones do come up at time to time,plenty more to go at rather than doing the ones done already.

66789 still retains it original 3 cab windows. Are you thinking about 66783?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Budgie said:

Yes, if it makes a profit.

Although going on profit and acquisition of tooling and staff from other companies,  I wonder if Accurascale are the Ferengi of the model railway world.....

• Funny 4

I reckon eventually they’ll do every livery ever carried by a shed , as they will possess the ultimate tooling it seems.

They’ll just have to be a modicum of patience until they get round to your own personal fetish.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I reckon eventually they’ll do every livery ever carried by a shed , as they will possess the ultimate tooling it seems.

They’ll just have to be a modicum of patience until they get round to your own personal fetish.

Gabon and Egyptian railways versions low down the list then ?

maybe I could respray a 66789 into them ?

😉

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 2

2 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Gabon and Egyptian railways versions low down the list then ?

maybe I could respray a 66789 into them ?

😉

Possibly not high on the list , but could fill the bargain bucket with Hornbys Floyd liveried 56 and the steam punk stuff…

How about this one ? Swindon is back to 2 freight trains visiting with resumption of EMR services. Pretty dull but I bet it’s on someone’s list . Not my photo , borrowed from Flickr .

FD45BA91-2D2E-4E4D-83A9-65770C917B0B.png

• Like 1

I’ve been sat here wondering whether to post this question or not as I can’t quite remember past discussions but being selfish for my own benefit. What were peoples opinions on the shade of maroon on the previous (Hattons) EWS livery? I’m asking as my personal opinion was it was a little too light/bright for my liking. I thought Bachmann were closer shade to the prototype, I’m guessing Accurascale will have their own idea for the “correct” shade of this livery anyway. I know the 66171 that’s been announced is being provided in an ‘in service’ condition so this may affect the overall appearance.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Shoey said:

I’ve been sat here wondering whether to post this question or not as I can’t quite remember past discussions but being selfish for my own benefit. What were peoples opinions on the shade of maroon on the previous (Hattons) EWS livery? I’m asking as my personal opinion was it was a little too light/bright for my liking. I thought Bachmann were closer shade to the prototype, I’m guessing Accurascale will have their own idea for the “correct” shade of this livery anyway. I know the 66171 that’s been announced is being provided in an ‘in service’ condition so this may affect the overall appearance.

It was very poor, it can however be improved somewhat with a coat of satin varnish, I think the Bachmann shade was also rather off as well (although certainly looked closer to the real thing in certain light after being in service for some time.)  At the moment I think Accurascale's shade of EWS red (and the shade Bachmann used on their newest 37/4) are the closest to the real thing.  Although I think I am right in saying that there is a subtle difference between the British Standard paint used on UK painted locos and the North American spec paint used on the 66.

The font used for the EWS logos and numbers on Hattons models was also completely wrong if trying to mix Hattons and Accurascale EWS 66s.B59494FD-8A49-4628-B39F-C315D0AF381E.jpeg.ed7c5a83ad56cfa24c6bf62bde00f42b.jpeg

Still not 100% happy with the colour though and will probably eventually end up repainting it if it stands out too badly next to a future Accurascale purchase (assuming they eventually release 001 or 002 in EWS)

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

Hattons looked as delivered , Bachmann looked older .

It was a pretty vibrant red , and i was surprised Bachmann chose essentially a weathered finish ( or just got it off a bit as their first 66 was 2005 and i'd be surprised if the red changed ).

• Agree 2

On 10/03/2023 at 07:48, rob D2 said:

Possibly not high on the list , but could fill the bargain bucket with Hornbys Floyd liveried 56 and the steam punk stuff…

How about this one ? Swindon is back to 2 freight trains visiting with resumption of EMR services. Pretty dull but I bet it’s on someone’s list . Not my photo , borrowed from Flickr .

FD45BA91-2D2E-4E4D-83A9-65770C917B0B.png

FYI you can post photos from Flickr by copying the web address and pasting it here. The photo will then appear with a link to Flickr, like so:

66797 at Swindon EMR 080323

Ed

On 09/03/2023 at 17:58, newbryford said:

Would another run of 66789 from what is essentially the same tooling be justifiable?

Especially given what there is that hasn't been done.

I expect such as 721 will end up being done as Hattons didn't do it, but I don't think any that Hattons did, need doing again for a while. Given Bachmann ALSO did 789, I don't expect the market for that one to be that big.

Bachmann have done at least 2 runs of 779 too, probably one that would do well but how many don't have a Bachmann?

7 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Bachmann have done at least 2 runs of 779 too, probably one that would do well but how many don't have a Bachmann?

66779 - I don't own the Bachmann version - it's nowhere near accurate to begin with, but I'd buy the AS/Hattons version in a heartbeat - and I'd guess that many others would too...  and 66721 for that matter.

Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, YesTor said:

66779 - I don't own the Bachmann version - it's nowhere near accurate to begin with, but I'd buy the AS/Hattons version in a heartbeat - and I'd guess that many others would too...  and 66721 for that matter.

Al

I have the special edition wooden boxed set of 92220 and 66779 but I would relegate that to its display box permanently if Accurascale produced one. 

6 hours ago, YesTor said:

Al

Fair dos. My point is that there are quite a lot of (GBRF mostly) Celeb 66s that haven't been done, or have only been done as limited editions by Bachmann and so would probably be of wider appeal.

Hornby are chucking all sorts of liveries about but I don't really put their 66 in the same market as the Bachmann and Accurascale ones.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Given Bachmann ALSO did 789, I don't expect the market for that one to be that big.

I am still relatively new to modelling and I didn't realise that Bachmann did a run of 66789, nor did I know that they did two runs of 66779.  Unfortunately I missed out on both Bachmann's and Hattons's releases.  I appreciate there may not be too big a market at present, but I would welcome an opportunity to own them at some point in the future.

9 hours ago, YesTor said:

I would definitely be interested in 66721 if it came up, along with sibling 66718 (London transport modes graphics) which I think could complement each other.

I mentioned in an earlier post that out of curiosity I had compiled a list of the various liveries that the Class 66 has worn.  Since following this thread, I have updated the list when other liveries were mentioned and it has now reached 105 different liveries.  I have decided to share the list in case it is of interest to others.  If I have missed any or if there are any errors, then please let me know and I'll happily update the list.

Updates

• 13/03/2023 (v2): Since posting the original list (60 liveries), I have identified further liveries as well as receiving suggestions from @big jim and @sc2016.  The list now contains 82 different liveries.
  • 18/03/2023 (v3): I have identified additional Freightliner and Colas Rail liveries, including additional subclasses that wore those liveries, as well as update some livery descriptions for clarity.  I have also gratefully received additional information from @big jim, @Creampot Junction, @DRS Crewe On A Mission, @PieGuyRob and @WCML100 which has been added to this update.  The list now stands at 86 different liveries.
  • 19/03/2023 (v4): Added missing Freightliner orange livery and additional GBRf liveries, taking the total to 91 liveries.  Updated some livery descriptions for clarity.
  • 19/04/2023 (v5): Added additional liveries, including the EWS maroon livery with maroon bodyside grilles (66001 and 66002 pre-production locomotives).  The list now stands at 94 liveries.
  • 14/06/2024 (v6): Added additional liveries and named locomotives, along with some minor amendments.  The list now stands at 104 liveries.
  • 23/06/2024 (v7): Minor amendments.
  • 23/06/2024 (v8): Updated livery entry for 66623, added missing entries/nameplates for GBRf 66/7 locos, minor amendments.  The list now contains 105 liveries.
  • 26/06/2024 (v9): Revised list of locos that were in the Metronet livery.
  • 26/06/2024 (v10): Added additional notes to some liveries.  Added note against GBRf 66/7 liveries with information gratefully received from @Steadfast.

Note: The previous versions of the list that were attached to this post have been withdrawn.  This was done to avoid having multiple copies of the file which may cause some confusion.

Class 66 liveries.pdf

Edited by Sweetling Park
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Sweetling Park said:

I mentioned in an earlier post that out of curiosity I had compiled a list of the various liveries that the Class 66 has worn.  Since following this thread, I have updated the list when other liveries were mentioned and it has now reached 60 different liveries.  I have decided to share the list in case it is of interest to others.  If I have missed any or if there are any errors, then please let me know and I'll happily update the list.

Class 66 liveries.pdf 126.83 kB · 10 downloads

good list, you can add:

66709 sorrento ship livery  

66776? F231 HMS Argyll 

66434 fastline 

Edited by big jim
  • Thanks 1