Cavalex - New Class 60

AY Mod

1 hour ago, RBE said:

In true Cavalex fashion we cannot simply produce generic details and number the loco's accordingly, it bothers our OCD! Like the Class 56 before it every varying detail is tooled to cover each particular member of the class and as such allows us a tooling suite capable of mixing and matching details and to assemble a faithful recreation of each loco. If you buy a model of 60049 in 91 to 93 guise then its a model of that loco in that era! The same with 001 in as delivered condition or the latest DCR locos running now. The downside of this is that you really need to research the real thing if you are going to renumber one, but that's the price of accuracy I guess.

Is there, or is there going to be, a guide to alll these detail changes that took place to aid those who are looking to renumber a loco get things right? 

Justin

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, jjnewitt said:

Is there, or is there going to be, a guide to alll these detail changes that took place to aid those who are looking to renumber a loco get things right? 

Justin

I think that was covered in the original answer you quoted: "you really need to research the real thing if you are going to renumber one".

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

I think that was covered in the original answer you quoted: "you really need to research the real thing if you are going to renumber one".

And where do you find that information? Obvious livery changes are one thing but is there more? I'd hate to be scoffed at by the class 60 police because I missed something.  

Justin

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, RBE said:

Don't cross the streams!!! 😁

With all of the talk regarding the drive mechanism and whether you prefer 4 or 6 axle drive we are probably detracting from the real matter at hand and whether it looks like a class 60. 

What I will say on that front is that many years of research has gone into this model. It has, since the real locos rolled out of Brush works back in the late 80s, been a firm favourite of both mine and Alex. For a locomotive that seems so generic on first glance has so many differences that have cropped up over the years that we had to do a lot of research, site surveying of several different locos with laser, tape, angle measurers etc, obtain a lot of works drawings from several sources and speak to engineers, designers and fitters of the locomotives throughout their career to get it just right.

In true Cavalex fashion we cannot simply produce generic details and number the loco's accordingly, it bothers our OCD! Like the Class 56 before it every varying detail is tooled to cover each particular member of the class and as such allows us a tooling suite capable of mixing and matching details and to assemble a faithful recreation of each loco. If you buy a model of 60049 in 91 to 93 guise then its a model of that loco in that era! The same with 001 in as delivered condition or the latest DCR locos running now. The downside of this is that you really need to research the real thing if you are going to renumber one, but that's the price of accuracy I guess.

I personally think that the model just oozes class 60 and I know Alex does as well, we know the details are right. Our USP has always been to produce the most accurate and detailed models possible and I think that our class 60 very much meets that brief.

Your first comment really made me laugh!!!

Who you gonna' call?  Tug-busters!

Looking forward to this model - the 56 was quite a shock to me just how good it was for a manufacturer's first.

Keep them coming...

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

40 minutes ago, jjnewitt said:

And where do you find that information? Obvious livery changes are one thing but is there more? I'd hate to be scoffed at by the class 60 police because I missed something.  

Justin

That would be like a hate crime and we don't want that do we...it will upset me and I may have to leave the country.

Edited by classy52
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, jjnewitt said:

Justin

As the differences and changes of equipment varied throughout their careers by individual loco compiling that data as a definitive document of all 100 locos throughout all eras is a massive undertaking. We have even discovered that lists of equipment and details provided to us has subsequently turned out to be incorrect with further investigation. 

I would advise personal research with any renumberings but can guarantee the work for the numbers that we have chosen will be correct.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, RBE said:

As the differences and changes of equipment varied throughout their careers by individual loco compiling that data as a definitive document of all 100 locos throughout all eras is a massive undertaking. We have even discovered that lists of equipment and details provided to us has subsequently turned out to be incorrect with further investigation. 

I would advise personal research with any renumberings but can guarantee the work for the numbers that we have chosen will be correct.

I agree, trying to document all the changes for all the locos would be nuts and I'm not suggesting for one moment you do that. Appologies if I've missed it, but I haven't seen details of exactly what changes of equipment you've covered with your tooling. A list of them with roughly when those changes were implented and how they relate to the locos that you've chosen to do would be a great help to those who aren't complete class 60 fanatics. I was under the impression that the 60s remained pretty much as built (aside from livery changes) up to the super 60 program. I now getting the feeling that impression is wrong.

Justin

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, jjnewitt said:

I agree, trying to document all the changes for all the locos would be nuts and I'm not suggesting for one moment you do that. Appologies if I've missed it, but I haven't seen details of exactly what changes of equipment you've covered with your tooling. A list of them with roughly when those changes were implented and how they relate to the locos that you've chosen to do would be a great help to those who aren't complete class 60 fanatics. I was under the impression that the 60s remained pretty much as built (aside from livery changes) up to the super 60 program. I now getting the feeling that impression is wrong.

Justin

Never understand this approach. If you don’t care to know yourself if it’s right then does it really matter? 
If you do care and want it right then you would do the research yourself (it’s part of the fun and leads to a more accurate model). Flickr is your friend for this.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Andy7 said:

If you do care and want it right then you would do the research yourself (it’s part of the fun and leads to a more accurate model). Flickr is your friend for this.

And books......

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Thank you Cavalex, Accurascale & Revolution, this shall be replicated.

If you want the same model 60. @railtec-models have done renumber sets for 60046/60055.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, jjnewitt said:

Justin

My interpretation of your question is-

is there a list of all the parts where there are multiple tooling options ?

for example

there’s 2 styles of cab side windows, 2 styles of front deflector plates, 2 styles of light clusters, 2 styles of air horns…..

not necessarily which loco carried which version at which time….

just so we can all play ‘spot the difference’….😅

cheers,

Phil.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Phil Mc said:

My interpretation of your question is-

is there a list of all the parts where there are multiple tooling options ?

for example

there’s 2 styles of cab side windows, 2 styles of front deflector plates, 2 styles of light clusters, 2 styles of air horns…..

not necessarily which loco carried which version at which time….

Yes, that's exactly what I mean!

I'm very happy to trawl through Flikr playing spot the difference but life is much easier if you actually know the kind of things you're looking for.

Justin

Justin

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, jjnewitt said:

Yes, that's exactly what I mean!

I'm very happy to trawl through Flikr playing spot the difference but life is much easier if you actually know the kind of things you're looking for.

Justin

Justin

We’re planning a full update for when we receive preproduction painted samples of each running number, that will point out the differences across the locos.

I know it’ll also be of interest to you Justin, I have received P4 wheel samples for the 60 in Melbourne so we will do a video converting one as well (same way as the 56 is converted) in due course. Just need to build something to test them…

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, newbryford said:

If you want the same model 60. @railtec-models have done renumber sets for 60046/60055.

Are there any differences between 029, 046 and 055? Or did they all receive the same ‘improvements’ over the years therefore, all the same?

Does anyone know when 60099 is due to be complete with DCR?

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Shoey said:

Are there any differences between 029, 046 and 055? Or did they all receive the same ‘improvements’ over the years therefore, all the same?

Does anyone know when 60099 is due to be complete with DCR?

029 has the original smaller fuel tank and carries a yellow sticker by the gauge to inform staff. Unsure of anything else.

Jo

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Southwich said:

We’re planning a full update for when we receive preproduction painted samples of each running number, that will point out the differences across the locos.

I know it’ll also be of interest to you Justin, I have received P4 wheel samples for the 60 in Melbourne so we will do a video converting one as well (same way as the 56 is converted) in due course. Just need to build something to test them…

That's great Will, I'll look forward to the update. 

Good news also on the P4 wheels. I'll definately be in the market for a set of those. 

Justin

• Friendly/supportive 1

Just chipping in with my two pence, I have had a cavalex 60 on order since the announcement over a year ago (Colas livery) and had a good look over the decorated samples on show at DEMU a couple of weeks ago. I have to say I'm seriously impressed! From my observations on rmweb and in general seem to say that the accurascale 60 is on par with the cavalex offering but I am inclined to disagree after inspecting both up close in the flesh.

The overall shape and look, especially around the lights, the characteristic angled front to the cabs (giving it the notorious angry heavyweight look) and around the cab window frames - has been captured excellently - better than seen on any other 60 offerings seen before. The bogie detail is also far superior with a lot more depth to them - they really are a work of art. One of the other features that really impressed was the etched grilles on the sides - up close they really are a work of art. (which shouldnt come as surprise after the steel wagons produced by cavalex were ground breaking only a year or two ago!)

I have no doubt the accura model will be fairly good but I do not think these will sit side by side (like for example the bachy & accura 37's do). The accura model to me feels rushed, with some areas lacking depth and detail to my eyes, especially in the bogies which is disappointing as I was taken back by the depth of the bogies on my accura 37. The shape of the cavalex one feels like it has caught the shape / feel that bit better too. No disrespect to accurascale as I think they have made (and will make) some great models, however I really do feel like the cavalex 60 edges it by some way overall, and the slight price difference is more than justified.

The recent success of the 56 - really does show the worth of what cavalex are achieving and I see this to be no different with their 60 - maybe it will be even better than their 56? I certainly like the ease of the magnetic buffer beams which are incredibly robust and easy to change (Yes, i tried this out at DEMU in person...), and should be practical with no pressure on the couplings when in situ so load weight haulage will not be affected. 

Just my two pence, my unbiased opinion at that. For reference I have models from both manufactures and will continue to buy from both. However regarding 60's, my pre order will be staying with cavalex. I have attched some photos but they simply do not do it justice so I would recommend having a closer look and getting your hands on some of these in person at a show. You will not be disappointed 👍🏻

IMG_2866.jpeg.ec16998d24d71fcde090f16db6e15ea4.jpeg

IMG_2867.jpeg.64de1f9c4e2c349437ddd4cab34da5f8.jpeg

IMG_2864.jpeg.7b592f525a939e7b678ca48d0f8e8b18.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Accurascale make some lovely stuff but I keep coming back to my view that the Cavalex 56 is in another class. I have no need for one, have 2 and feel myself hovering over the buy button for more. Not seen either 60 offering in the flesh yet but have high hopes for Cavalex 60. Another loco I don’t need but I feel I will buy more than 1 of….

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, WCML100 said:

Just chipping in with my two pence, I have had a cavalex 60 on order since the announcement over a year ago (Colas livery) and had a good look over the decorated samples on show at DEMU a couple of weeks ago. I have to say I'm seriously impressed! From my observations on rmweb and in general seem to say that the accurascale 60 is on par with the cavalex offering but I am inclined to disagree after inspecting both up close in the flesh.

The overall shape and look, especially around the lights, the characteristic angled front to the cabs (giving it the notorious angry heavyweight look) and around the cab window frames - has been captured excellently - better than seen on any other 60 offerings seen before. The bogie detail is also far superior with a lot more depth to them - they really are a work of art. One of the other features that really impressed was the etched grilles on the sides - up close they really are a work of art. (which shouldnt come as surprise after the steel wagons produced by cavalex were ground breaking only a year or two ago!)

I have no doubt the accura model will be fairly good but I do not think these will sit side by side (like for example the bachy & accura 37's do). The accura model to me feels rushed, with some areas lacking depth and detail to my eyes, especially in the bogies which is disappointing as I was taken back by the depth of the bogies on my accura 37. The shape of the cavalex one feels like it has caught the shape / feel that bit better too. No disrespect to accurascale as I think they have made (and will make) some great models, however I really do feel like the cavalex 60 edges it by some way overall, and the slight price difference is more than justified.

The recent success of the 56 - really does show the worth of what cavalex are achieving and I see this to be no different with their 60 - maybe it will be even better than their 56? I certainly like the ease of the magnetic buffer beams which are incredibly robust and easy to change (Yes, i tried this out at DEMU in person...), and should be practical with no pressure on the couplings when in situ so load weight haulage will not be affected. 

Just my two pence, my unbiased opinion at that. For reference I have models from both manufactures and will continue to buy from both. However regarding 60's, my pre order will be staying with cavalex. I have attched some photos but they simply do not do it justice so I would recommend having a closer look and getting your hands on some of these in person at a show. You will not be disappointed 👍🏻

IMG_2866.jpeg.ec16998d24d71fcde090f16db6e15ea4.jpeg

IMG_2867.jpeg.64de1f9c4e2c349437ddd4cab34da5f8.jpeg

IMG_2864.jpeg.7b592f525a939e7b678ca48d0f8e8b18.jpeg

Thanks for those very kind words, we have worked very hard on the class 60 to get the model right, the varying details right, and the fit and finish right to offer not only a model to run on your layout at normal viewing distance but one that you can be proud to own, sit and scrutinise while watching TV on the sofa and be delighted at the crispness and accuracy of the detail and paint/decal application that it affords. Its always a big ask, and believe me no one falls victim to our demands more than our factory, but it's one that is the very essence of what we are trying to achieve at Cavalex Models, and one that we will never steer from. It's who we are.

It's a pleasure to hear that the effort in trying to achieve that level of finesse in our model has not gone un-noticed and we aim to deliver that on every model that we do. Thanks for your support and don't hesitate to come and take another look at them once our final pre-production samples arrive!

Regards

Cav

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 9