Cavalex - New Class 60

AY Mod

The floating centre axel is great! My cavalex 56s run really well on the tighter curves where as my bach 66s have struggled. The rigid 6 axel drives seems to put pressure on the fwd axel causing it to pop off on the tight curves.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, jjnewitt said:

4 of them were, I think, coal sector locos and 60091 An Teallach would be ideal so I've been looking at Alexander Graham Bell as a basis and wondering how easy those very long nameplates would be to remove without leaving a mark? Oh, and are the Fox transfers for the besties actually the correct size?

I am not sure you need to worry as the 56074 plaques and 'plates came to be added. Presumably so people could order 074 and for example change 074 to 075 (West Yorkshire Enterprise) with only two alterations (remove the four and add a five, twice) whilst the West Yorkshire Enterprise nameplates are in the post. The plaques could be added to the loco or kept as spare depending on what is available from nameplate etc manufacturers and the Kellingley Colliery 'plates kept as spare. Obviously I cannot guarantee that, but hopefully you get the idea.

If the nameplates are in publicity photos that is because the prototype had the attachments and a model is a simulacrum. If the prototype had nameplates and the publicity photos do not that may be reasonable doubt as to whether to bother for some modellers.

• RMweb Gold

Having all 3 axles driven on a model loco makes it a C-C, not Co-Co as you’d need separate motors on each axle for the latter. Another reason for it not to matter one jot whether 2 axles are powered or 3. I have both configurations running with no issues so it is fair to say that it doesn’t bother me at all.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 97406 said:

Having all 3 axles driven on a model loco makes it a C-C, not Co-Co as you’d need separate motors on each axle for the latter. Another reason for it not to matter one jot whether 2 axles are powered or 3. I have both configurations running with no issues so it is fair to say that it doesn’t bother me at all.

If we’re being picky it runs on electricity and not diesel too!

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, stationroad said:

If we’re being picky it runs on electricity and not diesel too!

Now, live diesel in 4mm would be something else! 😆

Getting it to run at scale revs may be a challenge!

• Funny 2

On 07/06/2024 at 19:32, stationroad said:

I’m sure someone got a better photo at Model World Live, but there was a Cavalex as-built 001 on the stand (with the original cab windows)

image.jpeg.5f426b5935005df41ed2d80e8b0ddbc8.jpeg

Edit - It seems it was Model World Live in Australia. 

Magnadhesion! 🙂🙂🙂

On 12/06/2024 at 23:21, RBE said:

No it has a floating centre axle like the 56 to help with finescale track. It doesn't need to be 6 axle drive, in fact the wheel to rail friction is better with four powered axles than six unlike on a real locomotives that has fully working suspension to spread the locos weight over more wheels and reduce track wear.

Our loco is lighter than the Accurascale one 650g v the perported 825g but weight per drive wheel (wheels carrying actual vehicle weight) and hence frictional traction at rail works out higher on ours.

825g / 12 wheels = 68.75g per wheel

Vs 650g / 8 wheels = 81.25g per wheel

We expect the performance to be comparable, ours is certainly powerful enough to pull anything it needs to on a model railway.

The reason behind our decision is not power however but the ability to ride well on finescale track especially when converted to P4 or EM gauge. As a modeller I have had too many issues in the past dealing with rocking bogies so we made the decision to float the cente axle as standard on all Co- Co locos.

15 hours ago, WCML100 said:

Is it me or is all this talk of the unpowered floating centre axle getting boring? If you don’t think it is a good idea. Go and have a look at a Cavalex 56… proof is in the pudding 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think it's great that there's a point of difference between the two models. If you don't think a floating axle is a good idea and want all wheel drive, buy the other one, no need for endless petitioning to try and change a formula that Cavalex have done so much work on perfecting.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

Magnadhesion! 🙂🙂🙂

I think it's great that there's a point of difference between the two models. If you don't think a floating axle is a good idea and want all wheel drive, buy the other one, no need for endless petitioning to try and change a formula that Cavalex have done so much work on perfecting.

Buy one of each and decide for yerself! I’ve decided to for the end of my modelling period.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, RBE said:

IKB is already announced and available to pre order.

I cannot see it on your website, is this a special from a retailer?

9 minutes ago, 7013 said:

It's a Rails exclusive, so you'll need to look under that category near the top of the page on their website.

14 minutes ago, 7013 said:

Yes IKB is a special retailer exclusive from Rails of Sheffield together with the Steel on Steel DB livery.

The DCR version of 029 is a special via Key Model World and Ultimate Model Railways have a set of two Transrail liveried models to choose from.

It's such a simple idea when you think about it, but it makes a world of difference. Nice one, keep up the great work. I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of 60059. 😎

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

"with the final member of the Cavalex Class 60 run being announced tomorrow at DEMU Showcase."

Even more reason to get excited! Assuming we won't get any (T)easers for this one? 😛

Edited by Br60066
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Nick-L said:

image.png.e4126d5eef9b3a1f38fdf464be5c545d.png
interesting.

Edit for comment

Hellooo... now that could be one for the Steadfast Models glass cabinet.

Jo

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Really nice idea.

Takes the Hattons 66 buffer assembly to the next level.

It’s the thing missing from SLWs25.

Really like to see more models go with the approach of preconfigured easy to change bufferbeam/plough assemblies.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

9 hours ago, 97406 said:

Now, live diesel in 4mm would be something else! 😆

Getting it to run at scale revs may be a challenge!

Yeah as soon as you invent that someone will come up with an innovation to electrify it and make it emission less…

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

5 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Erm, thats a giveaway of ever there was.

I'm pretty sure it appears in the Hornby video earlier in the thread. So it's been hiding in plain sight for some time, but none of us seem to have caught it until now.

• Like 2