Cavalex - New Class 60

AY Mod

Both the Class 56 and 60 are looking to be absolutely superb models.

I don't seem to have much support, but will put this out there.

Is there consideration for routine maintenance?

As I use models, quite a lot on occasions, they'll suddenly start that 'dry squeal' indicative of non-lubricated metal on metal.  Is there easy access to worm, axle (obviously yes) and motor bushes?

I think it was the later Bachmann Class 40's which had access points underneath the chassis where in situ motors could be lubricated without need to totally disassemble the locomotive.

This is a 'pet peev' of mine currently!!

Al.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Both the Class 56 and 60 are looking to be absolutely superb models.

I don't seem to have much support, but will put this out there.

Is there consideration for routine maintenance?

As I use models, quite a lot on occasions, they'll suddenly start that 'dry squeal' indicative of non-lubricated metal on metal.  Is there easy access to worm, axle (obviously yes) and motor bushes?

I think it was the later Bachmann Class 40's which had access points underneath the chassis where in situ motors could be lubricated without need to totally disassemble the locomotive.

This is a 'pet peev' of mine currently!!

Al.

The drive mechanisms are designed to be maintenance free and the lubrication applied at the factory should not need replacing however oiling the bogie gears is a doddle by either removing the bogie keeper plate and oiling from the bottom or inserting a fine nozzle through an access point on the bogie side, we would advise caution here though as excess oil can lead to leakage and potentially oil on the wheel treads which can effect traction. As for access to the motor is a strip down internally, however the motor shouldn't require any maintenance whatsoever so not sure that it would be necessary on routine maintenance. 

Thanks for the reply.  I do understand.

Perhaps I run my locomotives a lot more than many, but there's not one which hasn't needed a touch of oil on motor bushes somewhere along the line.

Very astute comment regarding possible over-oiling, and oil reaching the treads - I have the t-shirt on that one!!

Al.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Thanks for the reply.  I do understand.

Perhaps I run my locomotives a lot more than many, but there's not one which hasn't needed a touch of oil on motor bushes somewhere along the line.

Very astute comment regarding possible over-oiling, and oil reaching the treads - I have the t-shirt on that one!!

Al.

The one place you should NEVER oil is the brushes!

A sure way to soften them and clog the commutator slots.

I thought that this was the most basic of model maintenance knowledge!

How does a motor NEED oil on the motor brushes?

CJI.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

The one place you should NEVER oil is the brushes!

A sure way to soften them and clog the commutator slots.

I thought that this was the most basic of model maintenance knowledge!

How does a motor NEED oil on the motor brushes?

CJI.

He stated bushes not brushes but still there should be no need to oil them. Oil tends to pick up crud over time and can make issues worse.

• RMweb Premium
Just now, RBE said:

He stated bushes not brushes but still there should be no need to oil them. Oil tends to pick up crud over time and can make issues worse.

Aah - my mistake; I would have understood if he had said motor BEARINGS.

CJI.

• Like 1

It was just a point.  I suppose I may like to run more than many do.

I understand that engineering / manufacturing tolerances are tighter than previous years, but over time, these bushes do wear.

Also, being the 'hot end', lightly arcing brushes, then light oil will dry out relatively quickly in the bushes.

Some have mentioned comparisons with 'sealed units' like washing machines which can be similarly 'run hard' which never need regular lubrication, but these do use sealed, lubricated bearings, and are generally a much larger scale.

0.04mm wear in a washing machine bearing will be neither here nor there, but in a much smaller scale can be much more significant.

Regarding oil onto brushes, I have actually encountered that before, 53 years ago with a Champion slot racing Ferrari, which ended up burning the oil - quite an impressive smoke trail it left - before the motor burnt out!!

Al.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

It was just a point.  I suppose I may like to run more than many do.

I understand that engineering / manufacturing tolerances are tighter than previous years, but over time, these bushes do wear.

Also, being the 'hot end', lightly arcing brushes, then light oil will dry out relatively quickly in the bushes.

Some have mentioned comparisons with 'sealed units' like washing machines which can be similarly 'run hard' which never need regular lubrication, but these do use sealed, lubricated bearings, and are generally a much larger scale.

0.04mm wear in a washing machine bearing will be neither here nor there, but in a much smaller scale can be much more significant.

Regarding oil onto brushes, I have actually encountered that before, 53 years ago with a Champion slot racing Ferrari, which ended up burning the oil - quite an impressive smoke trail it left - before the motor burnt out!!

Al.

Yes I get that but the motors are not intended to be oiled. If you need to then it is a strip out of the circuit board which is not a major deal and could be part of a major overhaul.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, SulzerPeak said:

Bearings have moving parts bushes dont, they are bushes not brushes!

I am sure that you are correct - but you'll have to tell the vast majority of railway modellers who have called them motor BEARINGS for as long as anyone can remember.

CJI.

Hi Cavalex, hopefully an easy question to answer -

Does the Analogue DC Class 60 come with speaker(s) pre-fitted, requiring just a sound decoder to upgrade it to DCC Sound?

Or...

Does it require both a speaker (or speakers?) and a sound decoder to upgrade it to DCC Sound? 

From a similar query on the 56 topic, I gather the DC Analogue 56 has no speaker(s) pre-installed, so would require both speaker(s) and DCC Sound decoder to upgrade it to DCC Sound.  I also understand that to do so is pretty much plug and play, requiring no soldering... which I presume would be the case for the 60 too, if no speaker(s) is/are fitted?

Thanks,

Ixion.

3 minutes ago, 97403_Ixion said:

Hi Cavalex, hopefully an easy question to answer -

Does the Analogue DC Class 60 come with speaker(s) pre-fitted, requiring just a sound decoder to upgrade it to DCC Sound?

Or...

Does it require both a speaker (or speakers?) and a sound decoder to upgrade it to DCC Sound? 

From a similar query on the 56 topic, I gather the DC Analogue 56 has no speaker(s) pre-installed, so would require both speaker(s) and DCC Sound decoder to upgrade it to DCC Sound.  I also understand that to do so is pretty much plug and play, requiring no soldering... which I presume would be the case for the 60 too, if no speaker(s) is/are fitted?

Thanks,

Ixion.

Yes correct. The none sound model doesn't have a speaker fitted as we are using the new ESU passive radiator speaker in our locos which was developed in tandem with our class 56. Either way it is plug and play for both speaker and DCC chip.

• Thanks 1

Having just received my e-mail newsletter from Rails of Sheffield. I will be buying all three models from them. 60098 is a welcome addition in my eyes because Lima did that one that was for Brush Traction staff only and these sell for close to £300 when I last saw one on eBay a while ago. I like the tiger livery on 60062 as well so I might get that one. So here is my tally of planned Class 60's. 

I am going to be one happy bunny and Cavalex Models have just earned themselves a new loyal customer for life!  I hope that in the future, they could consider doing a DB model of 60092 or 60015 with the large DB logos on the sides as Hornby has not done these and therefore no stepping on toes will be happening. 

In light of the the withdrawal of the real DB Cargo Class 60's. It would have been nice of them if they did a "Thank You Class 60 Railtour" or something along those lines. But I respect their decisions and they got 10 years of their initial investment from the overhauled Class 60's that took place in the early 2010's. So I wonder if this will be time for 60100 to go into preservation? Or would GBRF/DCR take more of them on? Could be viable if DCR wins the Kingsbury to Lindsey and the Westerleigh to Robeston oil contracts in the future. 

Who knows, but I want to take a moment of gratitude for that we still have the DCR/Cappagh and GBRF Class 60's with us on the mainline for us to appreciate. I am sure those that want a photo of 60062 will be able to grab a snap of it from Toton Bank. I was last there in 2016. 

Back on topic with the OO gauge model. I will look forward to running mine with my recently acquired set of 8 TEA-L tankers in VTG Blue and the VTG red livery. This timing for an all new Class 60 to go with this has been perfect. I am already getting excited for Christmas 2024 already. I will be watching the progress of the new model with enthusiasm and optimism as well. 

Keep up the great work Cavalex Models. I will look forward to seeing the painted samples in due course!

You've got this! 😉.

Edited by BritishRail60062
Typo
  • Like 1

Certainly tempted with 60062 steel on steel as had it for traction at svr diesel gala last year. 

with 60081 is it still the same for lsl as it was when it put a piston through the side? Or is there any mods done for it? 

cheers Craig 

13 hours ago, RBE said:

Yes correct. The none sound model doesn't have a speaker fitted as we are using the new ESU passive radiator speaker in our locos which was developed in tandem with our class 56. Either way it is plug and play for both speaker and DCC chip.

Can I just clarify something though, the DCC sound versions have a hall sensor fitted but the non-DCC versions don't? I'm in the dark to be honest as to how they work. 

Just now, lego legs said:

Can I just clarify something though, the DCC sound versions have a hall sensor fitted but the non-DCC versions don't? I'm in the dark to be honest as to how they work. 

No the hall sensor will be fitted to all models as it's part of the main circuit board. There is a small magnet on the bogie that triggers the hall sensor on the main board. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Craig1989 said:

Certainly tempted with 60062 steel on steel as had it for traction at svr diesel gala last year. 

with 60081 is it still the same for lsl as it was when it put a piston through the side? Or is there any mods done for it? 

cheers Craig 

I heard that 60081 is going to be cosmetically only restored for the 1:1 collection. I would assume the power unit will be patched up to look fit to the eye but I will assume it will be non running. I for one am looking forward to getting 60062 in the "tiger" livery :). 

I think I am going to get 60098 with sound as that one being the 1000th Brush Traction locomotive to be built. It has a unique history and if DCR (I assume they own this one) will consider painting it into a heritage triple grey livery with the same names. That would be a nice one to see out and about. Provided that Wabtec can turn it around into a usable locomotive. 

Might be possible though as Wabtec has been converting a lot of American GE Dash 8's, Dash 9's and AC4400's into a rebuilt Wabtec AC44C6M's. Makes me wonder if something like this could be done with the UK Class 60's? Perhaps the rebuild could be something like an AC37CM that would be a Class 60 shell but with AC traction motors and new modernised equipment that would be cheaper than a cost of a new locomotive? The code would be AC for AC traction motors, 37 for 3700hp like on a Class 70 and the last two letters would be C for Co-Co and M for "Midi" bodyshell as the walkways would be inside the Class 60 like on the real things and there is no risk of falling off the locomotives for mechanics either. 

If DB sold all their Class 60's back to Wabtec and then leased them back from Wabtec as a AC37CM project that would be a new formed Class 60 but with new parts and AC traction motors etc like what is used on the GE/Wabtec AC44C6M. Wabtec would do all the maintenance and rebuilds etc and DB could save costs on the maintenance and benefit from the lower costs of leasing rather than owning them. 

On the model front of things to boot as well. This would give Cavalex Models another variation with the Class 60 for future models and possibly new sounds from AC traction motors and a new prime mover if the Class 60 MMC went ahead :). 

Anyway back to earth and away from dreamland. I am going to buy three models of 60010 now because I am going to have the other two renumbered as 60092 and 60015 respectively as I do like them in the DB red colours which I will admit does make them look smart indeed. 

1 hour ago, BritishRail60062 said:

Buy both of them mate! You know you want to! 😉.

Stop it!!!

I already have the Rail Express / Hornby IKB 60081... I don't need a second one of the same livery in OO.

Granted though, I have both an O and N version of 60081 🤪

...oh maybe you're right - this time OO with DCC Sound?! 😉

• Funny 1

17 hours ago, 97403_Ixion said:

Stop it!!!

I already have the Rail Express / Hornby IKB 60081... I don't need a second one of the same livery in OO.

Granted though, I have both an O and N version of 60081 🤪

...oh maybe you're right - this time OO with DCC Sound?! 😉

Well to be honest brother, the sound version is going to have a EM2 speaker installed in the model and that will be epic in its own right. It will have a better bass sound for the low frequency rumbles that should try to help capture the real sound more effectively when its decoded by the amp. Also make sure to reward yourself after all the hard work we do because we deserve it and I am happy that I am able help inspire others 😉

You won't believe what I have planned for my dream model railway when I get it built once I have moved to another part of the world. Exciting times ahead and I am loving the energies from my goals. I look forward to seeing the artwork of the Class 60 packaging from Cavalex Models when they develop it. 

14 hours ago, BritishRail60062 said:

Well to be honest brother, the sound version is going to have a EM2 speaker installed in the model and that will be epic in its own right. It will have a better bass sound for the low frequency rumbles that should try to help capture the real sound more effectively when its decoded by the amp. Also make sure to reward yourself after all the hard work we do because we deserve it and I am happy that I am able help inspire others 😉

You won't believe what I have planned for my dream model railway when I get it built once I have moved to another part of the world. Exciting times ahead and I am loving the energies from my goals. I look forward to seeing the artwork of the Class 60 packaging from Cavalex Models when they develop it. 

It won't be an EM2, it will most likely be an ESU speaker as per that class 56 but we will of course assess the best speaker for the sound file once it has been recorded.

• Like 2

As the 150 sound fitted DCR grey 60029’s for Key Pub/Hornby Mag are already almost sold out (happily got my preorder in), is there the likelihood of another DCR liveried one being announced fairly soon or will that have to wait for a second run?

Edited by norfolkchinaclay
Text
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, RBE said:

It won't be an EM2, it will most likely be an ESU speaker as per that class 56 but we will of course assess the best speaker for the sound file once it has been recorded.

No problem. I know it will sound epic as its been professionally developed with care, love and lots of dedication. If you plan to do a standard DC Rail Class 60 at some point. I would love to see an offering of 60046 or 60055 although it is understood that Cappagh 60028 that is coming will have the newer generation headlight boxes? (Sorry I don't know the official name of these). 

4 hours ago, norfolkchinaclay said:

As the 150 sound fitted DCR grey 60029’s for Key Pub/Hornby Mag are already almost sold out (happily got my preorder in), is there the likelihood of another DCR liveried one being announced fairly soon or will that have to wait for a second run?

There could be an option for 60046, 60055 and possibly 60099 that the real thing is coming back into service at the end of the year with DC Rail unless they plan to do a heritage livery of it in Construction or Coal Sector.