Model Railway .stl file resources?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MJI said:

I suggested putting a few up there as proof of quality,  enough to model something properly.

..... and I take the fact that this has not been done as a measure of the author's confidence in the usability of the files.

If I were in the market for a ready-to-print file - which I'm not - I would want to see an image of an actual model printed from the file, not a render that may, or may not be, viable in real life.

I'm afraid that ideas of significant sums of money being realised by this collection of digital ephemera are nothing but wishful thinking!

CJI.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

16 hours ago, cctransuk said:

..... and I take the fact that this has not been done as a measure of the author's confidence in the usability of the files.

If I were in the market for a ready-to-print file - which I'm not - I would want to see an image of an actual model printed from the file, not a render that may, or may not be, viable in real life.

I'm afraid that ideas of significant sums of money being realised by this collection of digital ephemera are nothing but wishful thinking!

CJI.

Whilst I agree with the basic thrust of your argument, I can understand why so many of Simon’s files have not been printed. In many cases the same basic file is used across several scales adapting wall thickness and level of detail to be appropriate. That does not mean that they are unprintable, just that they have not all been printed.

My SNCF Corail compartment stock files were made freely available to anyone who wanted to print them. But they were only in 1:160 scale and many had not been printed by me. Each file is an amalgam of standard pieces - basic bodyshell, standard windows, standard doors, standard air con grilles, etc. and all are perfectly printable.  A friend in France has printed hundreds of them for those without home resin printers. And the files are free to use though not free to redistribute.

I have been asked to rescale them larger and smaller, but unsurprisingly no-one so far has been prepared to pay me to do that.   Simon has already completed all that rescaling work upfront and has found , like me, that there are not customers wanting to pay for the rescaled file.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I am after the stl for a Gresley, Peppercorn or Thompson pacific if anybody knows of any. I want to print one as an ornament for the house decor.

There are a few I have found or purchased but they are either really not accurate or are too blockish or 'low res' for printing at a large scale, or are not suitable for 3d printing no matter how hard I try.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Captain_Mumbles said:

I am after the stl for a Gresley, Peppercorn or Thompson pacific if anybody knows of any. I want to print one as an ornament for the house decor.

There are a few I have found or purchased but they are either really not accurate or are too blockish or 'low res' for printing at a large scale, or are not suitable for 3d printing no matter how hard I try.

Thanks in advance for any help.

You can get rtr bodies on eBay for peanuts

• Agree 1

Try Pocket money museum https://www.pocketrailwaymuseum.com

They have STL's to build various A1/A3 Pacifics at a cost of 20 euro.  

The models are designed to work and include instructions on how to build the electronics. You can scale the model in your slicer, I think the native scale of the files is 1/32.

I don't like is the raised lines for lining, numbers and letters but so far everything seems to fit together. My only mod so far is to beef up the wheel bearings with some ABS printer parts. Everything else I have printed on a resin printer. The cab detail is really good.

I should also say I'm not connected with the company.

Andy

14 minutes ago, andy7mm said:

Try Pocket money museum https://www.pocketrailwaymuseum.com

They have STL's to build various A1/A3 Pacifics at a cost of 20 euro.  

The models are designed to work and include instructions on how to build the electronics. You can scale the model in your slicer, I think the native scale of the files is 1/32.

I don't like is the raised lines for lining, numbers and letters but so far everything seems to fit together. My only mod so far is to beef up the wheel bearings with some ABS printer parts. Everything else I have printed on a resin printer. The cab detail is really good.

I should also say I'm not connected with the company.

Andy

There is a full article by Friso Booij, owner of Pocket Money Museum, in the September issue of Garden Rail.

Cover.jpg

It will give you an idea of what's involved, and show the results - (spoiler alert) which are excellent.

• Informative/Useful 1