The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

New Coffee machine

tigerburnie

• RMweb Gold
On 05/02/2023 at 07:39, Torper said:

Who needs a coffee machine when you can still buy this?

camp.jpeg.9e99ec587341db0bc6a1ed4c467ca615.jpeg

I remember it from way back when.  To my surprise it's still available, owned by Schwartz, made in Paisley.  But who drinks it?

That was my old dads favourite coffee drink and from memory I thought I liked it!. Well a couple of years ago I saw some in a small supermarket and bought a bottle............made one drink and the rest went down the sink.........Yuk!!. I guess though 70 years ago it was just about all you could get. My first memory though of real coffee though was whenever we went to town(Derby) with my great aunt Mary she would insist on taking us to the Kardomah Cafe where they served the genuine stuff..........never forget that aroma!!

Mike

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 06/02/2023 at 12:16, Craigw said:

We have had bean grinding expresso machines since around 2005. We started with a Saeco machine (very good) and then went through a succession of higher end consumer machines. Some good, some not so. What I started to realise was that I like making the coffee myself and I simply did not use all the functions that were available on the machines. When our last machine decided to start playing games, we had a Covid lockdown era splurge. Fully manual, a Rocket R58 and Rocket grinder now occupy our kitchen bench. yes, they cost quite a bit of money but we love it and we can make excellent coffee every time. 

Craig W

IMG_E1062.JPG

Jeez that looks like it would make a good poteen!

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the coffee consumption, we are using twice as much milk these days, which is perhaps no bad thing and our new hobby of "pod hunting" is keeping us amused. I really did not like instant coffee, it convinced me that I didn't like coffee, this machine has taught me otherwise, I happily drink higher strength coffee in the morning and de-caff later in the day with no sleep disruption and can heartily recommend buying a machine. The one we got wasn't cheap, but as I am no longer buying cafe drinks, I'm saving around £3 a day at least there and I enjoy two or three cups a day at around 50 pence a cup seems reasonable to me and the electrickery bill looks to be the same as using the kettle.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1