The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

New Coffee machine

tigerburnie

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

65p is a cheap one! Some are shamelessly over £1!

Ouch! On a fairly conservative basis that would put the cost of my weekly coffee consumption up to about £16 instead of the current £3.50. That unfortunately would be a financial step too far. It does also seem to be rather over-complicating a simple cup of decent coffee.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

We have a Tassimo machine but also use ground coffee and sometimes beans. Pods are barcoded so it automatically puts an amount of water through although you can add more or less by pushing the start button at the right time.

I don't think Tassimo pods for ordinary coffees are as expensive as some of the others but things like latte are more so. There is a very wide range available so you need to try a few to find what suits you. You need to shop around as prices can vary and if buying in bulk you get discounts and free shipping over a certain value.

• Like 1

Don't think anyone's mentioned Senseo machines yet. The pods are very simple being basically tea bags but with coffee in them. I think they're compostible too.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

The resulting drink is super-frothy and smooth.

Hi Ian,

I bought a Nespresso Vertuo machine for the lovely lads and lassies that work on the NHS Ward that I volunteer on. It worked only twice and then it failed completely. I should add that the instructions supplied with the machine are awful and the on-line data is not much better. Nespresso very understanding and offered to fix the machine and loan the ward a temporary replacement. However the Nespresso's delivery agent finds it impossible to deliver to the hospital having tried six times... although I have my suspicions that its alll a bit too much trouble finding the mail room.

I have bought another machine and dropped it off on my last shift. I intend to arrange return of faulty machine from home. On our holidays we have used Nespresso machines and I must say they do make lovely coffee.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I worked out that the price of Tassimo pod packs of 16 coffees direct from them using a recent offer actually worked out cheaper than the better Kenco coffee in the red plastic capped tins even when that is on offer ar £3.50. Buying direct also means you get a set of recycling bags for free return via an shop provding a print in store facility. Alternatively there are refillable pods available https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=tassimo+refillable+pods

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Who needs a coffee machine when you can still buy this?

camp.jpeg.9e99ec587341db0bc6a1ed4c467ca615.jpeg

I remember it from way back when.  To my surprise it's still available, owned by Schwartz, made in Paisley.  But who drinks it?

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Torper said:

I remember it from way back when.  To my surprise it's still available, owned by Schwartz, made in Paisley.  But who drinks it?

Someone who likes chicory flavoured with a bit of coffee?

If you're making a "coffee" cake, it helps to get a repeatable/consistent coffee flavour that may not be obtainable with instant coffee.

Wouldn't touch the stuff myself!

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Torper said:

When I moved down to work on Oxford Station in 88 .....ended up dating one of the girls from corner shop on the down side of station.....the only fault when going to her house her mum.  ...(lovely lady) use to make me a coffee with this bottle of sauce and sterilised milk....her house plant in corner of living room thrived on my coffee

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

I don't know what sterilised milk is, but I do think that if you were going to try a cup of Camp, Carnation evaporated milk would be just the thing to go with it.  Yum yum!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Using Lavazza Passionale pods one run through gives a very good small cup of espresso, better than an espresso from a cafetiere, but that's not what cafetieres are meant for.  Usually I do a second run through the same pod which gives a standard mugful of perfectly decent coffee, obviouly weaker than the espresso but fairly similar to what I'd get from a cafetiere.  Major advantage is that I don't have to wash up the cafetiere which is a bit of a pain.  Major disadvantage is that the Lavazza machine only makes one mug at a time - if making coffee for more people and hoping to serve it all at the same time, a cafetiere wins hands down. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Danemouth said:

I had an Aunt who used sterri - awful in tea/coffee but great in rice pudding, tapioca and semolina.

Dave

By far the best milk for puddings. Drinking it is an acquired taste, unless of course you were brought up in Birmingham, in which case you were probably weaned on it. An opened bottle would stay useable for several days if kept in a bucket of cold water in the corner of the cabin away from the fire.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Having been to my daughters and had the son in law show me his Sage, Nespresso Creatista plus, I am impressed, for those of us(me) who likes frothy Cappuccino type drinks that are not too strong and tasting like mud, this is the way to go. It works with other brands of pods like Starbucks for example, very simple to use and it cleans itself, just the milk jug to clean and your cup. Not ordered yet, but intend to get one this coming week, need to do some net surfing for a bargain lol.

3 hours ago, Torper said:

Using Lavazza Passionale pods one run through gives a very good small cup of espresso, better than an espresso from a cafetiere, but that's not what cafetieres are meant for.  Usually I do a second run through the same pod which gives a standard mugful of perfectly decent coffee, obviouly weaker than the espresso but fairly similar to what I'd get from a cafetiere.  Major advantage is that I don't have to wash up the cafetiere which is a bit of a pain.  Major disadvantage is that the Lavazza machine only makes one mug at a time - if making coffee for more people and hoping to serve it all at the same time, a cafetiere wins hands down. 

I got a smeg lavazza machine for a quid for subscription offer is subscribed for boxes of pods delivered to door....local Tesco's availability poor so was good deal....I ended paying for price of boxes of pods anyway...

⅓ of small mug of milk...1min in micro shot of expresso ....decent flat white

• RMweb Premium

Had a Creatista Plus for well over a year now. Milk steaming is far easier than their frother things which seem to burn up, but it does need the nozzle cleaning regularly. The machine will go into lockout if you don't go through the descaling when prompted. Our water is fairly hard, so we use filtered and it copes fine, never had a problem.

Milk jug will also make you hot chocolate if you put the powder in with the milk, but don't overfill the jug otherwise it might overflow as it seems to increase the volume considerably....

There is a vast range of coffees that are compatible with Nespresso, so take your choice.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

We have had bean grinding expresso machines since around 2005. We started with a Saeco machine (very good) and then went through a succession of higher end consumer machines. Some good, some not so. What I started to realise was that I like making the coffee myself and I simply did not use all the functions that were available on the machines. When our last machine decided to start playing games, we had a Covid lockdown era splurge. Fully manual, a Rocket R58 and Rocket grinder now occupy our kitchen bench. yes, they cost quite a bit of money but we love it and we can make excellent coffee every time. 

Craig W

IMG_E1062.JPG

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Craigw said:

We have had bean grinding expresso machines since around 2005. We started with a Saeco machine (very good) and then went through a succession of higher end consumer machines. Some good, some not so. What I started to realise was that I like making the coffee myself and I simply did not use all the functions that were available on the machines. When our last machine decided to start playing games, we had a Covid lockdown era splurge. Fully manual, a Rocket R58 and Rocket grinder now occupy our kitchen bench. yes, they cost quite a bit of money but we love it and we can make excellent coffee every time. 

Craig W

IMG_E1062.JPG

Put wheels on it and you could give a narrow gauge loco a run for its money!

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8