The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Buying a new computer

tigerburnie

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

I didn't buy a pc I bought an all in one which is being used as I write, took a fair bit of getting on line and I still haven't got the mouse or keyboard working yet seems to be a blue tooth thing

Has it got a couple of usb ports? You can always plug in a wired keyboard and mouse to get things going and sort out wireless/bluetooth connectivity in parallel.

Must admit, I've a bluetooth mouse for my laptop (hate using the touchpad...), but I always use a wired mouse!

11 hours ago, Hroth said:

Has it got a couple of usb ports? You can always plug in a wired keyboard and mouse to get things going and sort out wireless/bluetooth connectivity in parallel.

Must admit, I've a bluetooth mouse for my laptop (hate using the touchpad...), but I always use a wired mouse!

I have the wrong plugs on my old mouse and keyboard, I have tested the Bluetooth which is on, tried to add a device and its not finding them, a tad frustrating 

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

I have the wrong plugs on my old mouse and keyboard, I have tested the Bluetooth which is on, tried to add a device and its not finding them, a tad frustrating 

Obviously they are fully charged and switched on....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Do you have to press a button on the mouse or keyboard for a certain time to put them in”find” mode? Many devices have leds that flash in the find /link process. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This may sound stupid but it worked for me recently with a Bluetooth remote control that wouldn’t work. Take the batteries out and put them back in again. Although the batteries AAA size were new I wonder if something from the packaging had remained. 
Windows 11 has a Bluetooth trouble shooter but if you can’t use the keyboards or mouse to access it, that would be a problem. I looked at the Acer manual and the mouse and keyboard  should just connect when the batteries are inserted. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

I have tested the Bluetooth which is on, tried to add a device and its not finding them, a tad frustrating 

Are they definitely Bluetooth?

I've got several wireless mice/Keyboards of various ages and none are Bluetooth.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

With many wireless mice the receiver is stored inside it for safe keeping, so you have to pop off the cover to get it. This puzzled me when I first got one, wondering where on earth it was, there being no mention in the instructions .........

Bob

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Video software installed, just need to get out there and film stuff and look out youtube here I come.....................................or probably not until I get the hang of it, there's a lot to learn for a luddite like me.

Did you end up with a computer specification like you were hoping for?

I use Pinnacle Studio 19 Ultimate, it's not the latest (ver 26), although I have been with it since version 8.

I might get the latest version next time they have a special offer where every extra you can think of is bundled into the price.

It's more than I can cope with, with many of the more arcane functions not even investigated!🙂

3 hours ago, melmerby said:

Did you end up with a computer specification like you were hoping for?

I use Pinnacle Studio 19 Ultimate, it's not the latest (ver 26), although I have been with it since version 8.

I might get the latest version next time they have a special offer where every extra you can think of is bundled into the price.

It's more than I can cope with, with many of the more arcane functions not even investigated!🙂

Hi, yes I did get exactly what I wanted, the minimum spec for the video editing suite(DaVinci Resolve), up to date with software, a nice large screen desktop that is an all in one, a heck of a lot less gear and masses of wires and plugs gone. Time will tell how robust it is but after a fair bit of faffing around I seem to be in a position to do what I do most, waffling on forums, watching youtube videos(mostly old programs like Out of Town with Jack Hargreaves) and I hope to be doing some editing of my own filming , nothing too fancy primarily for my own amusement. This key board needs adjusting a bit, you cannot type too fast, you need to hit the keys quite hard, maybe that's adjustable. Windows 11 is not as bad as I feared, even with my limited experience, I'm knocking it into shape.

• Like 2

Got my new external disc drive and started loading drivers for my various cameras onto the pc, one Sony one was ancient and yep completely crashed the pc and had to wipe it and start again, no warning from microsoft that the disc might be no good, just accepted it and bang. Taken an hour to get up running again, the Sony Disc? it's now a bird scarer on my vegetable bed dangling on a piece of string.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

What are the drivers for?

I wonder, too. It is quite some years since I bought a camera that came with software. Perhaps Sony's video cameras do but their hybrid mirrorless offerings do not. 

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

What are the drivers for?

Connecting camera to pc and also does a bit of file handling, official Canon disc that came with the camera, the Canon ones are fairly recent and work fine, it as the Sony one that seemed to do the dirty deed.

Edited by tigerburnie
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, tigerburnie said:

Connecting camera to pc and also does a bit of file handling, official Canon disc that came with the camera, the Canon ones are fairly recent and work fine, it as the Sony one that seemed to do the dirty deed.

Are the Sony files available online instead?

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I wonder, too. It is quite some years since I bought a camera that came with software. Perhaps Sony's video cameras do but their hybrid mirrorless offerings do not. 

I think the last camera I have had that needed drivers IIRC was my JVC DV camera* which used Firewire (IEEE394), which Windows programs dropped pretty early on when fast USBs appeared.

I think Apple kept their version for a bit longer.

*EDIT

You could control the camera from PC.

Which meant the video program could do edits by running the camera to the right point using the time signatures.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I think the last camera I have had that needed drivers IIRC was my JVC DV camera* which used Firewire (IEEE394), which Windows programs dropped pretty early on when fast USBs appeared.

I think Apple kept their version for a bit longer.

*EDIT

You could control the camera from PC.

Which meant the video program could do edits by running the camera to the right point using the time signatures.

I have a special utilities driver for the movie camera, that works fine, I can take the SD card out and use that, but I found it easier to have the files on the pc for transferring to the DaVinci editing suite.

The software for my DSLR also had a disc with it and the software helps with some editing software and to convert RAW files to jpeg, which again is a very useful tool.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

I have a special utilities driver for the movie camera, that works fine, I can take the SD card out and use that, but I found it easier to have the files on the pc

I just copy files to a special folder via USB which is quite quick these days and then pick them from that folder for video (or still) editing.

My Canon Compact is only 20 Mpix (still) so will be a bit less than your DSLR and Full HD (not 4K) video (the later version does do 4K)

I fancy a DSLR but at my age I can't be bothered with all the lenses.

I've still got My Canon A1 with several Canon lenses, I waited for the promised digital back, but it never came and I went on to compact digitals instead.

• Like 1

I bought an external disc drive that also has slots for micro and full SD cards, but my 1D iv slr uses the larger "C" cards, hence the desire to have the camera software, which also does for the 550D that my wife uses.

I had a bit of a play with video editing yesterday, going  to take a bit of getting the hang of it (WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO MY FONT??) if you look on my youtube channel burnie maurins it's a short wildlife film. 

It would seem my key board is wireless but on a short lead, it doesn't work at any sort of distance away, like sitting back in my chair with the keyboard on my knee?

Edited by tigerburnie