Bachmann Spring 2023 Announcements.

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, South-East Rail said:

I like the look of those MPVs. But not at £320 a pop! I think my original-release Network Rail example was £80 odd, albeit a few years ago. 

Ed

£55 from a shop sale for mine!

It's part way through a conversion to the single unit 98008.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, South-East Rail said:

I look forward to seeing it. I've always fancied one in HS1 livery - now I regret not having bought a donor when they didn't cost an arm and a leg!

Ed

Still plenty on eBay and Facebook groups going for around a more reasonable £100 mark

• Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, The Johnster said:

That depot water tower would be perfect for my colliery to feed the washery,....A.  Nice looking model that would be quite complex to scratchbuild with all that cross bracing support stuff, just the sort of thing RTP is ideal for.

Agreed; I was looking at it with interest too, but in my case I've decided it would make a good water tower for a remote military camp. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, banburysaint said:

It reminds me of an LNER crane such as the one shown in the photo at Pickering. Click on the photo to be taken to the site 

Yes, see also this one on the NYMR at Pickering as well:

61034 CHIRU Thompson B1 @nymr North Yorkshire Moors Railway Spring Steam Gala at PICKERING 26.04.2014

(Note to the OP, and anyone reading this: Flickr explicitly allows embedding (hotlinking) photos, but this is a setting that's under the control of the photostream owner. Invision Community (the software that RMweb runs on) is intelligent enough to be aware of this, so, when you post a link to a Flickr photo, it will first check to see if embedding is permitted and, if it is, will convert the link to embed the photo directly. If embedding isn't permitted, it will just post the link as normal. So when you see an embedded Flickr photo on RMweb, you can be assured that this is permittted by the photo's owner and therefore isn't an infringement of copyright).

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/02/2023 at 10:37, woodenhead said:

Patience, one way or another there will be blue centre headcode class 37s in the near future.

I think there will be a lot of people happy to see a 68 back in the range, the best sort of class 37 after all.

And it's likely to be here before any equivalent offering from Accurascale given Bachmann's current form .

10 minutes ago, Albie the plumber said:

And it's likely to be here before any equivalent offering from Accurascale given Bachmann's current form .

Could be either company really, it all depends when Bachmann offer a banger blue skirted class 37 with the correct lamp irons.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

Agreed; I was looking at it with interest too, but in my case I've decided it would make a good water tower for a remote military camp. 

Visible on the skyline from miles away.  Yes, it looks very much the part for this/

• Like 1

On 01/02/2023 at 17:47, The Johnster said:

That depot water tower would be perfect for my colliery to feed the washery, but probably a bit pricey for my wallet.  Nice looking model that would be quite complex to scratchbuild with all that cross bracing support stuff, just the sort of thing RTP is ideal for.

It's also the sort of RTP that's easily broken, though. The thin struts will be quite fragile. I bought a Scenecraft "Industrial Stores and Canopy" (MPN 44-0088 for those who want to Google photos of it) for my layout, and the legs of the canopy arrived broken. Not beyond repair, but still mildly annoying. If I was in the market for the depot water tower, I'd probably make a point of buying it in person from a shop or trader at a show, so I could actually look at it first, rather than buying online.

From a modelling perspective, though, these water towers often outlived their intended use. The one at the former M&GN depot at Melton Constable is still there, long after the railway departed. I have no idea whether it's still used to hold water, but it's there, nonetheless. So one of these could easily be placed on a contemporary DEMU layout, occupying part of the space in an industrial estate next to the railway that, in steam days, would have been the depot.

https://goo.gl/maps/Efiesu8khZA1RqWR6

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I was disappointed that no re-run of Colas 70 announced but MXA ‘Lobster’ wagons are a great choice.

I think the thing with the 70 is what would they do for a run? 1 Colas 1 Freightliner or 2 Colas? I don't expect there's many folk after Freightliner ones. A run of one probably wouldn't fly.

Edited by TomScrut

Nye on £60 for a Lobster?? Glad I made mine! Though Autoballasters just for the collectors club... I think I'll pass and keep browsing the 'Bay.

Interesting to see that the EFE 'Pacer' models are not listed as a new tool model and in various Facebook comment threads many have noticed almost identical areas between Realtrack's existing models and these announced pacers. 

Over on the Realtrack page, Charlie also announced that the tooling and CAD's are in the same factory as the EFE range in production... As well as mentioning the replication in the announced models of the same deliberate mistakes Realtrack made to ensure unlicenced tool use or reverse engineering of existing tooling does not go unnoticed.

However, it is entirely possible that the tooling was modified without owner approval to get around some of the trademark/copyright engraving etc. Totally not speaking from experience... All you need is a Milling machine and a competent toolmaker.

7 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I think the thing with the 70 is what would they do for a run? 1 Colas 1 Freightliner or 2 Colas? 

Seems to be the case now that less liveries are offered for the sake of offering DC, and DCC sound options. They could split a run of 1000 between the original Colas livery they ran, Colas revised logo and Weathered options. Different running numbers though of course.

1 minute ago, Bearwood West Yard said:

and Weathered options

I was going to agree with you until you said that.... 😂

I think the break down depends on the importance of the intake mods. For example I have no interest in non mod Freightliner ones as the modified ones were available. I have both modified releases so not that bothered about another but the intake mod FL ones did used to fetch a slight premium on Ebay.

7 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I think the break down depends on the importance of the intake mods

Freightliner's 70's were introduced as serviceable to revenue earning traffic from the end of November/beginning December 2009. It was April 2012 when No.18 (the real Smokey Joe 😅) had her accident. So the running period for pre-air intake mods is the best part of 3-3.5 years being generous and adding 6-12 months to account for the modification R&D and implementation. 

Colas ordered theirs in 2013 so the intake modifications came as standard. Except for 70099 (70801) the Turkish Demonstrator which went unmodified until purchase by Colas. Although it is very niche, 70099 in Demonstrator Green is another livery and one I've not actually seen, despite having done intermodal and coal traffic tests with GB Railfreight in November 2012, well before Colas bought it.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Waverley47708 said:

The ScotRrail coach pack was a nice surprise.  Coach pack numbers 5197 and 5162.

1523968019_Screenshot_20230201-194144_SamsungInternet.jpg.e6b067f6f33ea107d89133afbcc9ec01.jpg

1876867121_Screenshot_20230201-194130_SamsungInternet.jpg.5bde6406042d46f510000c06586164ea.jpg9783915360_Screenshot_20230201-194445_SamsungInternet.jpg.9c382b87e316bce418f52044a68963f0.jpg

Am I right in thinking there was only 5 TSO and 1 FK MK2a coaches repainted into ScotRail livery? All of which would be disc brake fitted as they originally part of the class 27 push-pull rakes? 
Regards. 
Bill. 

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Could be either company really, it all depends when Bachmann offer a banger blue skirted class 37 with the correct lamp irons.

I've got an AS split headcode in green on order but as far as I can tell , there's nothing  in the way of WR centre headcode blue 37's included in the first 3 batches .

If  Bachmann produces one  first , I'll buy that one .

Sound issues aside it's a great model .

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I think the thing with the 70 is what would they do for a run? 1 Colas 1 Freightliner or 2 Colas? I don't expect there's many folk after Freightliner ones. A run of one probably wouldn't fly.

Have they done a Freightliner 70 with the extra air intake?