Class 08 converted to snow plough.

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, LNERGE said:

The book does list other classes that were allowed to plough. I can imagine classes 24, 25, 26 and 27 having very restricted visibility. 

They were used quite a lot but bushes were cut back then. The locos that were prohibited were 40s,44s45s and 46s due to them having bogie mounted buffers

24 minutes ago, russ p said:

They were used quite a lot but bushes were cut back then. The locos that were prohibited were 40s,44s45s and 46s due to them having bogie mounted buffers

I’ve always wondered what the snow clearance arrangements were on the Woodhead. The same restrictions must have  applied to class 76’s?

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, LNERGE said:

I’ve always wondered what the snow clearance arrangements were on the Woodhead. The same restrictions must have  applied to class 76’s?

I would have thought so. I wonder if they needed an isolation before ploughing so maybe steam or diesels ploughed it 

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, LNERGE said:

Tinsley and Wath had a nice selection in 1972..  

8717E258-15BF-4788-940E-B32F6AB1F0D9.jpeg.1a4a56d7e2d7df06f986ff1c11f74e58.jpeg

What is the difference between a medium and large?  I suppose at this time there would have still been the ones that were simply old tenders with ploughs attached. 

Thornaby had a pair of independent ploughs but not the standard BR independent.  They were built on the frames of ex GC tenders I believe , I have the stove door off one of them and is marked LNE-C GORTON 

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, LNERGE said:

This is listed as a Large..

15/10/1977 - Norwich Thorpe (NR) TMD.

That's an amazing picture Richard.  It's not far off where the ploughs sit today.  That type I was thinking as been medium.  Does it list any other independents than BR standard 

31 minutes ago, russ p said:

That's an amazing picture Richard.  It's not far off where the ploughs sit today.  That type I was thinking as been medium.  Does it list any other independents than BR standard 

Not my picture but it is rather excellent. I'm building this plough too.

No other independents are listed but my appedices are  BR(E) Southern area. I suspect the NE independents are listed elsewhere. There is a cross reference to the General Appendix Page 112 that i haven't investigated yet.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, LNERGE said:

It seems to be a bit vague in 1960. Lincoln has a single line plough too. 
849F5752-8D00-47EF-AD4D-0ED4DDE8CABF.jpeg.c521ee5dc1d8e159cd2138958054c70c.jpeg

Interesting,  those ploughs must be the ones which attach to locomotive buffer beams. Wouldn't have had much use by then as J6s and J11s were been withdrawn by then. Didn't realise there were separate ones for single lines . The independent ones spread snow equally to either side

1 hour ago, LNERGE said:

Yes what does a single line plough look like?

Surely a single line plough can push the snow to both sides equally, but on a double line you don't really want to push snow towards the six foot/opposite line, so it should ideally be angled to push it mainly towards the cess?  But there presumably has to be some compromise as an angled blade may generate off centre forces as it hits a bigger and immovable drift.

'Modern Locomotives Illustrated' No 202 has some info on the Class 08 conversions, and says eight were converted at BREL Doncaster "mainly for depot and yard use" (apparently solely by the Eastern Region) - ADB966506-10 between September 1973 and July 1974, and ADB968010-12 all in June 1977; there were going to be three more, ADB968017-19, but they were cancelled.......I think we know why! They were all withdrawn between December 1978 and June 1979.

The publication lists the first conversion as D3078 to ADB966506 in September 1973........so it is somewhat perplexing that I was able to take this photo of the withdrawn loco parked outside Swindon Works on 7th April that year!! Presumably it was recalled to Doncaster in preference to sourcing another withdrawn 08 closer to home, which on the face of it is odd as one would assume that by then there must have been a few knocking around - unless Swindon was supposed to do the work but minds were changed at a late stage.........

1461839619_730407_D3078SwindonWksnp.jpg.15f5a3ffe59fcac26f801d76fd56527d.jpg

The use of the new numerals without D prefix on a green Class 08 was unusual and even with Ds was almost exclusively an ER habit.

Looking down the list of 'donor' locos two caught my eye - ADB966508 and ADB966509 were converted from D3035 and D3069 respectively. Hmmm, those two numbers ring a modelling bell................oh yes, D3035 was the original old Tri-ang model and D3069 could be described as the latest incarnation of its spiritual successor, due for release by Hornby this year (or......sometime.......soon......ish). An interesting coincidence!

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Halvarras said:

'Modern Locomotives Illustrated' No 202 has some info on the Class 08 conversions, and says eight were converted at BREL Doncaster "mainly for depot and yard use" (apparently solely by the Eastern Region) 

Yard and depot use possibly makes sense. They certainly seem ungainly for anything else. 

11 hours ago, Halvarras said:

The publication lists the first conversion as D3078 to ADB966506 in September 1973........so it is somewhat perplexing that I was able to take this photo of the withdrawn loco parked outside Swindon Works on 7th April that year!! Presumably it was recalled to Doncaster in preference to sourcing another withdrawn 08 closer to home, which on the face of it is odd as one would assume that by then there must have been a few knocking around - unless Swindon was supposed to do the work but minds were changed at a late stage.........

Thinking about this further, if Swindon was originally chosen to convert these (and I guess we'll never know now) and they were intended for snow clearance at ER depots and yards, perhaps it dawned on somebody that moving the converted locos from there back to ER territory could be problematic and it would make more sense to do the work closer to home, as it were.

I'm sure Swindon would have made a lovely job of them, but taken three times longer than Doncaster to turn them out and they'd still have been useless!

• Like 1