Light blue 10ton insulated wagons 1965 onwards - common?

steve1023

Whilst going through my rolling stock last weekend I found a single Farish 10ton insulated box van in light blue which I had clearly forgotten I had (perhaps a case of too many trains...)

I don't recall seeing many of these wagons in my books or the archive DVDs I own, so my question is, just how common where these wagons in light blue? The actual wagon I have is on Paul Bartlett's wagon photo site so it is clear where Farish took their inspiration from. It is pictured condemed at Ayr in (ISTR) 1984.

I would also be interested in expanding the question onto the light blue container boxes (sorry - I forget the codes used) that were placed on the conflats - were they that common? Again I trowled my books and DVDs and can find plenty in brown but not light blue. I am interested in the period 1965 to early 80s really.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Edited by steve1023
Grammar

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, steve1023 said:

Whilst going through my rolling stock last weekend I found a single Farish 10ton insulated box van in light blue which I had clearly forgotten I had (perhaps a case of too many trains...)

I don't recall seeing many of these wagons in my books or the archive DVDs I own, so my question is, just how common where these wagons in light blue? The actual wagon I have is on Paul Bartlett's wagon photo site so it is clear where Farish took their inspiration from. It is pictured condemed at Ayr in (ISTR) 1984.

I would also be interested in expanding the question onto the light blue container boxes (sorry - I forget the codes used) that were placed on the conflats - were they that common? Again I trowled my books and DVDs and can find plenty in brown but not light blue. I am interested in the period 1965 to early 80s really.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Ice Blue was the replacement for white, on insulated wagons.

It was introduced at the same time as the 'boxed' style of lettering - whenever that was! (An age thing).

CJI.

• Thanks 1

The farish insulated van represents diagram 1/251 of which there were only 250 built. There wasn’t much call for them. Some were converted to Ale vans and repainted brown (farish make this one too) and most of the rest were broken up by the end of the 60s. The colour is correct for 1965. It’s just a question of how many were still in service. I’ve never seen a photo of one in a train. 

Much more common we’re the larger 1/800 and 1/801 fish vans as represented by the 2F-019 Dapol model. Unfortunately they have not chosen to represent one in ice blue livery, although there were plenty still in white in 1965. 

As for the ice blue AF containers, I have definitely seen those in photos of trains. There were upwards of 500 of them built. 

cheers,

Ed 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, cctransuk said:

It was introduced at the same time as the 'boxed' style of lettering - whenever that was! (An age thing).

Any blue vans would probably be in decent condition in 1965 but I'd expect most would still be dirty white

Edited by Aire Head
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The ice blue arrived with the new symbol and 'boxed' wagon lettering in early 1963. Examples of these are shown in photographs in Modern Railways for April 1963 (so out in March of that year and obviously would have been photographed before that). The collection & delivery road vehicles adopted yellow at the same time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1