Can't access Layout topics

Hi,  just a wee problem.  Every time I click on Layout Topics I get HTTP 500 error message.  It doesn't affect any other topic I've tried to access, not that I've tried everyone on the forum, only this one.  I've cleared cache, cookies, deleted and reloaded RMweb, signed out and back in but it still keeps bringing up this message.  Anything I can do to stop this?  

thanks,

Roja

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 37Oban said:

Hi,  just a wee problem.  Every time I click on Layout Topics I get HTTP 500 error message.  It doesn't affect any other topic I've tried to access, not that I've tried everyone on the forum, only this one.  I've cleared cache, cookies, deleted and reloaded RMweb, signed out and back in but it still keeps bringing up this message.  Anything I can do to stop this?  

thanks,

Roja

Just a hunch. Try this link:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/87-layout-topics-xxxxxx/

Martin.

Well, there maybe some sort of progress, although I don't know how or why!

I use a desktop as my primary computer and it's on this that I have the issue.  However, this evening I thought I'd try my chromebook, which I have as a backup, amongst other things, and no issue!  I find this just a wee bit weird!  Also, on my desktop, forum pages now only fill half way across the screen, with an information side bar, and to i have to click on a picture to make it a decent size, which is something I find annoying!  However, on the chromebook, pages fill the entire screen, which I find much more preferable!  How long this situation will last is a moot point, but I hope it remains as is on my chromebook, and that it can be changed on the desktop.

I am an optimist!

Roja

I had a dangerous event this morning: I had a thought!

I'm thinking that the auto update on my windows 10 desktop may be the cause of the issue seeing how my chromebook is unaffected.  I may be barking up the wrong tree - nothing new there! - but as I have the chromebook I shall wait until the next windows update to see if that cures the issue before taking other measures, such as removing said update.

Roja

• RMweb Premium

I have this issue - but I only get it when I’m logged in, if I’m logged out I can read it but as soon as I log in I get the white screen - on iPhone, iPad safari and chrome, mac safari and chrome, and on a brand new pc straight out the box (so not a memory/cache issue)

I think it’s sommat to do with our profiles, but I don’t know what it would be.

try logging out and see if it works?

• 1 month later...
On 13/01/2023 at 17:21, MrSimon said:

I have this issue - but I only get it when I’m logged in, if I’m logged out I can read it but as soon as I log in I get the white screen - on iPhone, iPad safari and chrome, mac safari and chrome, and on a brand new pc straight out the box (so not a memory/cache issue)

I think it’s sommat to do with our profiles, but I don’t know what it would be.

try logging out and see if it works?

got this same issue.

has any answer come back from the admins????

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, v8cpt said:

has any answer come back from the admins????

Yes; several times - to say that we can't work out the common factor. It's not at the server end, it's something at the user end and their browser. Try it when logged out or on another browser to prove that point.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Yes; several times - to say that we can't work out the common factor. It's not at the server end, it's something at the user end and their browser. Try it when logged out or on another browser to prove that point.

Andy it’s not my browser - how can it be? I got a brand new windows computer in May/June last year and the first website I visited was RMWeb - the layout topics page loaded fine, then I logged in and I just got the white screen… I’d never used the laptop before or accessed RMWeb on Microsoft Edge before.  I did the above to see if it was the browsers on my other devices as suggested.

I genuinely don’t see how that can be anything other than a glitch at your end or in the software or with my profile, or how would my unused browser be able to remember not to load the layout topics page?

I completely scrubbed my browsing history on my other devices as per your instruction and it had no effect - fine until logged on, white screen as soon as I log on.  

I have literally no power over anything on my profile except whether I continue to pay to not see as many adverts.  If there’s a hidden button I should press please do let me know.  I’ve been able to access the layout topics page twice since the site broke last year, and it used to be the main forum I read.

If you’re at AllyPally I’ll happily come to the warners stand with my password and demonstrate on your computer, as your browser works perfectly and I’m obviously wrong. 

Many thanks

Simon

On 22/02/2023 at 14:20, AY Mod said:

I have tried this on a different iPad and it worked fine.

however what I did notice is that the working iPad is running software 16.2 whereas the other is running 15.6, so I am just updating this to test, and I will post back my results

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Sadly I'm now suffering this issue. Just get a blank page. Fine if I'm not logged in, I can get the page up fine, but if I am logged in then not on my Win 11 laptop (firefox) or my iphone (Safari) with the very latest IOS - updated just yesterday..... but I can on my ipad pro ( Safari). So it can't be my browser as they are different, nor my user profile surely if I can on the ipad but not the others.

However, if individual threads are in 'view new content' then I can connect to them quite okay. It's the main listings page that thus seems to be the issue in some way. Really wierd and quite frustrating.

Bob

• RMweb Premium

Is this anything to do with the "Condensed View/Expanded View" thing next to the "Start New Topic" button?

Some time ago I accidentally clicked on the Expanded View option, which resulted in the blank page problem as seen above. I somehow got back to Condensed View, possibly by going into the Boxfiles section and clicking on it there.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, Nile said:

Is this anything to do with the "Condensed View/Expanded View" thing next to the "Start New Topic" button?

Some time ago I accidentally clicked on the Expanded View option, which resulted in the blank page problem as seen above. I somehow got back to Condensed View, possibly by going into the Boxfiles section and clicking on it there.

It shouldn't affect things at forum view level but if anyone else finds out that it does have an affect it would be interesting.

• RMweb Gold
Just now, AY Mod said:

It shouldn't affect things at forum view level but if anyone else finds out that it does have an affect it would be interesting.

I’ve experienced this when switching from condensed to expanded in the past, got stuck with a blank page for a while. This “went away” (as we say in the lovingly engineered software trade) after assorted random clicking between the two in other sub-forums. Only just remembered this!

• Informative/Useful 1

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, Nile said:

Well; Roger me sideways!

You've found it!

I've just been trying to replicate it (as I've never found it) and it's done it in all the subforums people have had problems with.

I'm off to see if the problem can be fixed but, in the interim, if you have the problem click on the condensed view on the left rather than the explanded one on the right on a subforum you can access.

Expanded.jpg

Condensed.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Okay, now have the same issue with my iPad as well, so nothing I use will now allow me to visit the layout topic section. Of course with a totally blank page I can’t try switching views either….

Bob

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
2 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

@AY ModHi, has this been fixed? I've suddenly got access again but don't know if it's just that my phone has updated?

Did you check the contents of this post out?

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/176614-cant-access-layout-topics/?do=findComment&comment=5104628

• RMweb Premium

The trick with this I discovered is to keep going into different sub-forums and keep clicking on condensed view in each one. Then at some point you’ll be able to get into the layout one. Must be something getting stuck and needing a bit of a kick!

Bob

I've been pointed to this thread after sending the following to @AY Mod :-

Once again I am finding it increasingly frustrating to use the 'Pre-grouping - Modelling and Prototype' forum on an Android phone, running Android v9.  Attempts to access it via either the bookmark I have created or the RMWeb home page result in a 'This page is not working' message.  I can access it by going via a response to a post I have made in one of the topics, but it is very, very slow to load and I get repeated 'Chrome is not responding' and 'System UI is not responding' messages.  I do not have this issue with either of the other two fora which I routinely access, 2MM finescale and Railways of Scotland, so I cannot see that it can be an issue with my phone.  I have no such issues on my Desktop using Windows 10 and Chrome.  Is there something that needs to be looked at in the Android version of this forum?

Having read through this, I swapped over to expanded view (wasn't aware of these options) and it now works fine.  Odd thing is that it was only on the one forum that I was having the problem and only on my phone!

Jim

• Like 1