Hornby 2023 - Bluetooth decoders and control system

AY Mod

The dongle is just a dumb device that simply converts the Bluetooth communication to serial as used by xpressnet. It does not record anything about the DCC devices being controlled.

The only thing it needs is to be paired with the phone/tablet etc running the app.

by the way the club adapter which allows two connections to the same DCC controller is just two sockets wired together, with a single plug.  You can plug several of them together so that you can multiple phones/tablets connected to the single DCC controller. The limit is partially down to the amount of power required by the collection of dongles which needs to be provided by the DCC controllers xpressnet port.

By DCC controller I mean a Select or Elite, but could be any controller that supports Hornby’s version of the protocol.

2 hours ago, The Meerkat said:

would that be same for say a club member using his own locos or just mine?

The dongle will communicate with any legacy decoder that has been assigned to it. Yours will already be there if you have assigned them at home. You can assign a friend's loco to your dongle at the club and control it from the app.

You can leave it on your app in an inactive state until the next club night.

5 hours ago, SteveM666 said:

The dongle will communicate with any legacy decoder that has been assigned to it. Yours will already be there if you have assigned them at home. You can assign a friend's loco to your dongle at the club and control it from the app.

You can leave it on your app in an inactive state until the next club night.

oh right nice,   even if they share same DCC address or doesn't that matter?

7 hours ago, The Meerkat said:

oh right nice,   even if they share same DCC address or doesn't that matter?

You cannot share DCC addresses, unless you are configuring a consist.

consider the dongle as a handset connected to your DCC controller. You cannot control two decoders with the same address and expect to use separate handset to control each one. 

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Marcoblanco said:

Can any bright spark envisage what existing Dcc systems will the Dongle  be compliant,apart from Hornbys own controllers? 

Xpressnet - so Roco  and Lenz for starters.

(The original graphic for the dongle had a Roc Z21 and  Lenz Compact in the image).

Digikeijs DR500 also has an Xpressnet port.

There are other systems as well.

Edited by newbryford
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Marcoblanco said:

Can any bright spark envisage what existing Dcc systems will the Dongle  be compliant,apart from Hornbys own controllers? 

I think I read earlier in this thread that NCE Powercab won't work with the dongle but happy to be corrected ....as a disappointed NCE Powercab owner.

2 minutes ago, Marcoblanco said:

Gosh there must be a way to get this dongle working with all systems..? cant they make an App for it lol!!

The do make an app to use these decoders, it sits on your phone - but to use the Bluetooth system with your DCC Command station to allow the TXS decoders to run with other locos on DCC you need the 'dongle' and that needs a DCC command station that supports XpressNet.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, newbryford said:

Xpressnet - so Roco  and Lenz for starters.

(The original graphic for the dongle had a Roc Z21 and  Lenz Compact in the image).

Digikeijs DR500 also has an Xpressnet port.

There are other systems as well.

ZTC IIRC, although hardly mainstream, plus some equipment from ESU, Massoth, Viessmann.

Atlas sold badged Lenz kit.

15 hours ago, Bob83a said:

You cannot share DCC addresses, unless you are configuring a consist.

consider the dongle as a handset connected to your DCC controller. You cannot control two decoders with the same address and expect to use separate handset to control each one. 

what  i mean is say for example my class 66 is number 1 and his tank engine is number 1 as well,  as long as i dont run both together, i can just press number 1 on tablet and it will work?

6 hours ago, The Meerkat said:

what  i mean is say for example my class 66 is number 1 and his tank engine is number 1 as well,  as long as i dont run both together, i can just press number 1 on tablet and it will work?

If I'm correct then I understand the question but can't give an answer (not part of the test team etc) 

Basically does this work the same as the Dynamis where if you take your handset (read app and dongle) to someone else's railway you have to use their base station address roster?

I *guess* it *may* work if the decoders are being operated in Bluetooth mode (same as connecting other Bluetooth items to a phone - it uses whichever one is correct/you have selected) however not sure if having two of the same number will affect that? 

As said I've not been involved with any of the testing etc so purely speculation but hopefully someone else can confirm/deny? 

Edited by K Hatton

6 hours ago, The Meerkat said:

You would have the class 66 on your app, as long as only the 66 was on the track then no problem. Take the 66 off and out the tank on then you would be controlling the tank from the app but with 66 lights and sounds, but if only the tank is controlled from the DCC system then no problem. But with both 66 and the tank on the track then both of you will be controlling both locos.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Each legacy loco if made active will appear on the control screen scrollable ribbon in its own right. The dongle will show as their decoder.

This is no different than if you had those same locos with the same address on any other dcc controller. Pick one and the other will react as well if on track. Just like if you had a power and dummy car on the same address.

I suspect even if inactive a dcc loco would still react. I have not tried it as no 2 different locos are so addressed, only emus / dmus.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

I fear you have misread what this device offers - it allows you to connect a Z21 WLAN device to an XpressNet or Loconet, it doesn’t appear allow you to connect XpressNet to Loconet.

"The MULTI can also function as a translation module, so that it is possible to connect LocoNet devices to XpressNet centers (e.g. our MZSpro), it is also possible to operate XpressNet devices on LocoNet command stations."

• Thanks 1

Both Android and iOS apps have been updated for the dongle, which is almost ready to send to the shops.

Anyone who can prove the dongle works with other dcc controllers, I'm sure Hornby would be pleased to know.

Also new sound profiles released for Class 20, King and 2 x W1 (original and rebuilt).

TTS function profiles will also be rolled out in the app to save having to type them in manually.

In addition all documentation has been amended to match.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
On 12/02/2024 at 11:08, meatloaf said:

Ive not looked at the list of sound projects for a while. Ive had a look this morning and the list is massive now. 

As well as the class 20 theres some DMU sounds listed as well - class 121 and 153 :)

Have you a link for this list please?  When I look on the web site none of the new stuff is mentioned at all.  I accept it could be a cookie problem my end of course.