Hornby 2023 - Bluetooth decoders and control system

AY Mod

19 minutes ago, Marcoblanco said:

Ahhhhh ok thanks.. its not me.. 

Ive loaded up the App to another phone and redone it to work properly.. Now its doesnt work on the original Phone.. Something im missing.. I would like 2 phones , one as backup..

Nope, you haven't done anything wrong. Unfortunately at the moment you can't have them working on two devices. Unless you unlink the decoder from device 1 and re link it to device 2. Hopefully Hornby will sort this in the future so you can have easy access to all your decoders on both devices.

Hope that helps

• Informative/Useful 2

The development team have the aim that in time the unlinking and linking to a second device will be a single button operation as they work through streamlining the app and the software.

Its another on the to do list I’m afraid.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Just a thought

As you can install Android 13 onto a Raspberry Pi, does that mean that with a touch screen it could be an alternative to a tablet for Hornby's Bluetooth system?

Any reason why it wouldn't work?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold

So I am planning on rewiring my old 8 pin Bachmann chassis that powers my Dapol DELTIC with either a next 18 or 21 pin socket. I have a spare 21 pin and next 18 txs decoder. What option should I go for, would it be better holding on to the next 18 for future models? 

Had another crack at these today. 

Did some reading up on the Hornby forum and read that forcing the decoders to unlink then uninstalling and re-installing the app has helped so gave it a try on the X7.

Success with Green Arrow. On the first search was able to link, update and install the a1/a3 profile without issue. 

Not so much with Blue Peter, found the decoder as a "resettable" however being a Sunday I can't contact Hornby to obtain a reset code (don't yet have one as the decoder still needs software update). 

Working an extra shift tomorrow so will have another go on Tuesday. 

38 minutes ago, K Hatton said:

Had another crack at these today. 

Did some reading up on the Hornby forum and read that forcing the decoders to unlink then uninstalling and re-installing the app has helped so gave it a try on the X7.

Success with Green Arrow. On the first search was able to link, update and install the a1/a3 profile without issue. 

Not so much with Blue Peter, found the decoder as a "resettable" however being a Sunday I can't contact Hornby to obtain a reset code (don't yet have one as the decoder still needs software update). 

Working an extra shift tomorrow so will have another go on Tuesday. 

The decoder showing as a resettable device is documented on the Hornby forum - rescan for the decoder, if it still shows as resettable power off the loco (give it a good two minutes to fully power down) and also power off the tablet or phone you are using.

Turn the phone back on and open the app. Power up the decoder and rescan - it should now show as available to link.

19 minutes ago, SteveM666 said:

The decoder showing as a resettable device is documented on the Hornby forum - rescan for the decoder, if it still shows as resettable power off the loco (give it a good two minutes to fully power down) and also power off the tablet or phone you are using.

Turn the phone back on and open the app. Power up the decoder and rescan - it should now show as available to link.

I'll give this a go on Tuesday, may need to reset it as it was linked to my other device but wouldn't update.

Now I know I can use my X7 I'll just stick with that. 

13 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

So I am planning on rewiring my old 8 pin Bachmann chassis that powers my Dapol DELTIC with either a next 18 or 21 pin socket. I have a spare 21 pin and next 18 txs decoder. What option should I go for, would it be better holding on to the next 18 for future models? 

Next18 is intended for N, TT and small H0/00.

The latter being included for models with obvious space constraints and low motor power requirements.

The Next18 standard , specifies a maximum load of 0.5 amps, with contacts able to cope with a max of 1.0 amps.

Personally, I don't think it's really a suitable option for an 00 Deltic.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Evening all! 

Friday night I successfully undertook the same procedure that K Hatton carried out on his Blue Peter on my own one, and I'm surprised at the ease of it all! Getting the weight back in was a bit of a faff though, had to remove the cab weight to get it all back in, then refit that. Overall, easy installation and the app on android was a doddle. I did the same and installed the Tornado sounds, and I'm impressed! Last night I spent two hours reinstalling and resetting my other five already TXS'd locos onto my phone, and installed a sixth to a 66 too. Apart from messing up the first reinstall of the 08, everything went smoothly! 

Nathan... 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 27/06/2023 at 22:11, farren said:

Oh I understand now, why gender bender has suddenly turned up.

now Addy you are going to have to make a decision. 

Gender bender may seem offensive to some 

others will find ‘male’ and ‘female’ offensive because the don’t identify with those terms. 

Well that is not a problem because in this universe you need a make and female reproductive bits to procreate and produce humans. Anyone who has issues with that needs to find themselves another world.  I have LGBT friends and colleagues and we get along fine, but there will always be males ands females.   

On 27/06/2023 at 22:19, HExpressD said:

Strawmanning is a bit silly, Just accept that Andy doesn't want it here and some will take offence to it and back to phone controlled decoders if we may

"HExpressD" has it.  This site is run by Andy, and what he says goes.  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Covkid said:

Well that is not a problem because in this universe you need a make and female reproductive bits to procreate and produce humans. Anyone who has issues with that needs to find themselves another world.  I have LGBT friends and colleagues and we get along fine, but there will always be males ands females.   

"HExpressD" has it.  This site is run by Andy, and what he says goes.  

Can we please not reopen/reignite this and stick to the topic - it’s been over a week since the last post. (Not a comment whatsoever on whether I agree / disagree with the point made). 

I certainly use model railways as a way to escape the chaos of the modern world, so prefer to have the politics left out of this forum. Plenty of other areas to have those discussions.

To help get the thread back on topic, I’m interested to know if those with the decoders find themselves changing the CV’s on the decoders much more than they otherwise would eg acceleration rate now that it’s so much easier and can be done in real time? Another question for longer term users is whether they are planning to buy the legacy dongle on the basis that the app is better than their previous handset/device?

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

5 hours ago, E100 said:

Can we please not reopen/reignite this and stick to the topic - it’s been over a week since the last post. (Not a comment whatsoever on whether I agree / disagree with the point made). 

I certainly use model railways as a way to escape the chaos of the modern world, so prefer to have the politics left out of this forum. Plenty of other areas to have those discussions.

To help get the thread back on topic, I’m interested to know if those with the decoders find themselves changing the CV’s on the decoders much more than they otherwise would eg acceleration rate now that it’s so much easier and can be done in real time? Another question for longer term users is whether they are planning to buy the legacy dongle on the basis that the app is better than their previous handset/device?

I’ve installed 17 TXS now. I’ve changed the CV on these way more than the other 50+ DCC locos I’ve got. Can’t wait for the dongle, as I find the App a much more convenient method of control. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I've still not mastered the asymmetric brake settings. Stop needs to be stop. It's no good it eventually timing out and the loco moving off after a few minutes. 

In all other respects the control system is ideal for what I want to do. Altering the brake hold time does increase how long it stops for but eventually it moves off.

8 hours ago, E100 said:

I have never been a cv changer on the basis that, to my eye, the locos run fine with default settings and changing CVs in the traditional way can be a bit of a faff.

However, adjusting them on the fly is a game changer as it is so simple and the result of the change can be witnessed immediately and adjusted as necessary. No switching back and forth to a programme track. Definitely changed more since TXS came along.

Using the app rather than a controller has another benefit, it forces me to sit down to ‘play trains’ (I have the tablet on a stand clipped to the side of the layout) and I get better slow running thanks to powerbanks meaning no ‘hand of God’. A much better experience.

Now in the process of adding stayalives to all my TTS locos (cheaper than buying 50+ TXS) ready for the dongle when it is available.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I am definitely changing the CV's much more. Vastly easier to set each loco up individually to get optimum performance. I have 3 Fowler 2-6-4T's all slightly different.

I frequently change sound levels as I find that the level if the loco is shunting right next to me can seem a bit low if its running 20 feet away. I am also into banking trains which can also benefit from a much higher sound level than running light.

I also have changed all the speed curves to get much more realistic chuff rates. This is a pain with a normal dcc controller and a breeze now with the updated App.

Overall this is a brilliant product. My only issue is with power bank charging and higher current draws cutting out. But this is a promised update for the future which is great.

• Informative/Useful 1

Not sure that you will be able to change regular decoder CVs from the app via the dongle, as the app command route would have to put the DCC controller into programming mode with the loco on the programming track and as far as I know that is not supported from the app at present.

Power bank charging is being enabled for static charging but at present this has to be done sound profile by sound profile which means that when each one is so enabled and reissued it will have to be reloaded.

Edited by RAF96

Third time lucky! 

Blue Peter is now updated and running on the Tornado profile. Came up as linkable on the first search and breezed through the updates/downloads. All the while sat on DCC concepts rollers (idea seen earlier in this thread) 

Also found a slight 'hack' of using a Hornby duchess 6 wheel tender (4 wire plug version) and updating everything without needing the loco portion attached. Much easier than trying to re-rail bogies/floating wheel sets after a power cycle (e.g Bachmann locos with floating rear pony wheels/pacifics with many wheels etc)

IMG_20230704_124635.jpg.de967496349f507987c807e3353877f8.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, K Hatton said:

Third time lucky! 

Blue Peter is now updated and running on the Tornado profile. Came up as linkable on the first search and breezed through the updates/downloads. All the while sat on DCC concepts rollers (idea seen earlier in this thread) 

Also found a slight 'hack' of using a Hornby duchess 6 wheel tender (4 wire plug version) and updating everything without needing the loco portion attached. Much easier than trying to re-rail bogies/floating wheel sets after a power cycle (e.g Bachmann locos with floating rear pony wheels/pacifics with many wheels etc)

IMG_20230704_124635.jpg.de967496349f507987c807e3353877f8.jpg

Unplug the connection to the track for a power cycle.....

57 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Unplug the connection to the track for a power cycle.....

Valid point but not always possible.

Just thought it may be a useful tip for other people to know. Many ways to skin a cat etc. ✌️

• RMweb Premium

The only problem so far for me: it is not idiot proof. If your Bluetooth of your phone is of, it doesn't tell you and let you find it out yourself. 😄

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, Johan DC said:

The only problem so far for me: it is not idiot proof. If your Bluetooth of your phone is of, it doesn't tell you and let you find it out yourself. 😄

Don't worry, I did this as well to start with 😂

• Friendly/supportive 1