Hornby 2023 - Bluetooth decoders and control system

AY Mod

I'm surprised they've put the 91 in the electric section. The model is still listed as a diesel on their website, even the included instruction leaflet calls it a diesel!

I've just installed a txs chip in one of my 91s and used a medium speaker enclosure above the bogie tower. The light functions are not bad, allowing you to switch off either end. The cab lights work too but then reveal a rather crude unpainted cab with a driver sitting in the wrong seat! Nothing a little bit of modelling can sort out.

I haven't managed to get the horns to work in reverse. I know this is so that the horns only come from the DVT when 91 is pushing but that means using a second decoder. It also means the horns won't work when running the 91 blunt end first. I suspect there may be a simple setting to add/remove horn feature but I haven't found it yet.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, scottrains29 said:

I haven't managed to get the horns to work in reverse. I know this is so that the horns only come from the DVT when 91 is pushing but that means using a second decoder. It also means the horns won't work when running the 91 blunt end first. I suspect there may be a simple setting to add/remove horn feature but I haven't found it yet.

Try checking CV119.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, scottrains29 said:

I suspect there may be a simple setting to add/remove horn feature but I haven't found it yet.

It is in the famous manual and has been since the HSTs profiles were given directional characteristics.

• Informative/Useful 1

Had a play about with the 4VEP sounds in my 2HAL lastnight. Very impressed, although I did notice that the compressor runs constantly, so I assume it's part of the initial sounds (F1). If anyone here is attending the exhibition in Exeter this weekend, look out for Beckwick, which will have my 2HAL running on it. 

Nathan

Edit: due to the clubs van breaking down at Amesbury services yesterday, Beckwick isn't attending the Exeter show. 

Edited by D3489gibson
No longer attending EXE show
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, Bob83a said:

Try checking CV119.

Thanks, CV119 fixed the issue. If only I had time to bother reading the manual!

For reference, CV119 allows the horns to function either forward only, reverse only or both directions.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 hours ago, scottrains29 said:

If only I had time to bother reading the manual!

It does have an index and you use it to see where in the manual what you want to know about is and go there. No need to read the whole thing, just have a rough idea of what it contains.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Jenny Emily said:

A close look at the soon to be released smaller powerbank. It is intended to be an easier fit into TT120 and small shunting locomotives:

This may be a game changer for the 03s, etc once the standard 6pins are released!!! 

Speaking of which, is there any updates on the non sound decoders? 

Nathan...

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Hornby released an updated schedule for the profiles, some have slipped by more than 3 months since the last published schedule. The schedule now shows releases up to Q4 2025. But there is a more significant item in that there are no releases scheduled for Q1 or Q2, this could just be a cockup on Hornby behalf or it could indicate something that blocks/otherwise pauses the releases.

New schedule is dated 25/6/24 previous one was 19/3/24

Edited by Bob83a
Added dates, fixed crystal ball on schedule not 2925
  • Informative/Useful 1

It's not really a schedule (or a cock up). It's a list proposed profiles along with an estimate of when they hope to be released. That will be dependent on so many factors such as prototype availability, staff availability, profile development time and possibly the release schedule of any new models on the list.

At a guess (and it is a guess) I would expect the recording of some prototypes may be constrained to the summer months when the heritage lines are operating, with the subsequent processing of the profiles being completed over the long dark winter.

So it is not a schedule, it is an ETA (estimated time of arrival).

Document title is Available Profiles for HMDCC

Dates are in the column headed ETA.

So it is a list of dates than Hornby expect to release these new profiles, accepted that plans can change.

People shouldn't get hung up on specific dates. As has been said before, the schedule is an estimate. 

For those interested, the class 800 has reached the beta testing stage so will eventually most likely be the next released profile once it has gone through the process. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Bob83a said:

So it is not a schedule, it is an ETA (estimated time of arrival).

Document title is Available Profiles for HMDCC

Dates are in the column headed ETA.

So it is a list of dates than Hornby expect to release these new profiles, accepted that plans can change.

Spot on.😉

So going back to my original comment, there are NO profiles that are estimated to be ready for delivery in Q1 or Q2 2025!

Glad to know that the 800 is in beta, it was predicted for Q1 right up to the 19th March, so the estimate was off by at least 3 months.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Bob83a said:

So going back to my original comment, there are NO profiles that are estimated to be ready for delivery in Q1 or Q2 2025!

Glad to know that the 800 is in beta, it was predicted for Q1 right up to the 19th March, so the estimate was off by at least 3 months.

It can be arranged for the dates to be blanked out, then it would be an index list of available profiles only. You can either take it or leave it as is without any contract to supply by those estimates or it can be sanitised.

Edited by RAF96
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Bob83a said:

3 months is on time in hornbys world, I'm just glad we are getting it atall 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had an error that says Motor Over Current detected or similar

Ive tried reloading the profile as suggested. Im getting sound - just no movement at all. 

The loco works fine with a blanking plug and with a standard lokpilot decoder so i dont think its the loco

Is there anything else i can try?

11 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

Ive tried reloading the profile as suggested. Im getting sound - just no movement at all. 

The loco works fine with a blanking plug and with a standard lokpilot decoder so i dont think its the loco

I've had issues with getting sounds but no movement. I had to unlink and delete the decoder and then relink and apply the sounds and profile again. That fixed it for me.

Good luck

Dan

58 minutes ago, froobyone said:

I've had issues with getting sounds but no movement. I had to unlink and delete the decoder and then relink and apply the sounds and profile again. That fixed it for me.

Good luck

Dan

Thanks ill give that a go, but i did have to do that when i tested it in a different loco. 

Ive emailled Hornby to see if they can take a look at it for me

• Like 1

On 11/07/2024 at 12:14, meatloaf said:

These decoders are supposed to have a maximum current of 1 amp, although I do wonder about that value, so an "overcurrent event" would be pretty dramatic. HM7000s seem to work ok if you stick to DCC but if you use the HM7000 app, it appears from all the posts I read, riddled with bugs. 

• Funny 2

Im getting sound - just no movement at all.

check CV19 is at value 0. Any other value means the decoder has corrupted into an uncommanded consist.

3 hours ago, ColinB said:

These decoders are supposed to have a maximum current of 1 amp, although I do wonder about that value, so an "overcurrent event" would be pretty dramatic. HM7000s seem to work ok if you stick to DCC but if you use the HM7000 app, it appears from all the posts I read, riddled with bugs. 

Riddled with “bugs” – I have been using the iOS App for the past eighteen months and have yet to come across any “bugs”. A few hiccups at the beginning, but that was probably down to my understanding of the system. I do occasionally switch to DCC but usually use the iphone.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Thirty five TXS decoders and a fully loaded dongle on Android and no 'bugs' evident in fifteen months of operation.

Yes, there are some operating 'foibles' but definitely not faults.

I believe Hornby have said that of the decoders returned to them, 99% are found to be ok. Bearing in mind many industries operate to a 3% failure rate of similar components, that's not a bad hit rate.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

Riddled with “bugs” – I have been using the iOS App for the past eighteen months and have yet to come across any “bugs”. A few hiccups at the beginning, but that was probably down to my understanding of the system. I do occasionally switch to DCC but usually use the iphone.

That is just an observation from the posts on this site and the Hornby one. Posts like you need to reset this CV value. Even on this thread that is what is being recommended. As I say just scan all the posts, perhaps many are user error I don't know. I have had the system not find the new decoder until I reloaded the app and then there is the occasional need to reset a brand new decoder. As to Hornby's returns, trouble not identified is a common fault with Electronic Modules, we used to get it all the time, faults like not powering up properly in say 1 in 10 powerups. Send it back to Hornby they power it up once and of course don't see the issue.

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere - I've gone back through the thread as well as a search but can't seem to find an unequivocal answer about whether a TXS decoder will work (even if just 'silent') when powered from a conventional 12v DC controller.

Whilst obviously the ideal is to run off a DCC controller or via the app, it is handy even for things such as wheel cleaning to be able to move a model in DC model. The earlier TTS decoders allowed this (I have an HST with TTS MTU sound that will move albeit without lights and sound on 12v DC) but I believe it was disabled on later TTS decoders.