Hornby 2023 - New tooling - Streamlined B17/5

AY Mod

8 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

As the only LNER Streamliner left to do, it had to happen.

Streamlined Thompson A2/3? Never built but hey there's a drawing - much better than GWR's effort imo. Plus, like the B17/5, Hornby already has the chassis for it.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
Just now, toby_tl10 said:

Streamlined Thompson A2/3? Never built but hey there's a drawing - much better than GWR's effort imo. Plus, like the B17/5, Hornby already has the chassis for it.

I reckon they'll be saving that to mark Simon's retirement! 😉

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, Edge said:

there’s no detail as of yet that allows that to be decided for sure :)

Suspect that the BR version is BR apple green with BRITISH RAILWAYS on the tender, but that’s not been definitively confirmed yet 

61659 was apple green without a parabolic curve on the smoke box. 61670 stayed in wartime black apparently.

I'd wait until details are confirmed before ordering as some sources suggested that Hornby wanted to do 61670 in BRITISH RAILWAYS apple green, which would be inaccurate.

Having said that I must confess I didn't realise these locos lasted so long and I had assumed they were de-streamlined around the same time the P2s were rebuilt.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Red Devil said:

Both got de streamlined at Gorton, there's pics in  Dave Gosling's excellent 'Gorton Tank'.....

If you need an excuse for one heading 'somewhere north', I guess both worked to Gorton over Woodhead for that.

Must admit I quite fancy one....

Photos in the RCTS volume of these taken at Grantham and Doncaster works, the latter in 1939 so not just from build.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rogerzilla said:

I may push the button on this one when I see what Rails and Hatton are asking (typical discount seems to be about £20 from other retailers).  The £20 saving is less important than proper packing, which has been an issue with Hornby direct sales in the past.

Rails doesn’t stock Hornby any more - Kernow have theirs on at just under £189, which is a decent discount on the RRP that I think will be roughly what everyone else can offer too

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Pint of Adnams said:

It may have been to the standard length but the 6-car set was specially built for the East Anglian service, with the interiors in a very similar style to the Coronation and West Riding streamlined sets, and all open seating. The re-released teak Gresleys will not cut the mustard...

Indeed. All open, no compartment (although there were a few "partitions" creating seating bays.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

My mum could have seen them steaming through Tivetshall, Norfolk in the 40s, I'm considering buying an example.

However, I'm assuming the loco will be based on the full-fat version of the B17, as opposed to the Railroad version.

• Like 1

Well, East Anglian will go nicely with my green Osprey and blue NRM Mallard (not to mention unstreamlined LNER stuff).  And I'll probably get at least 2 years to save up 😀

I'll have moved house and started on a proper layout by then; not the 6 x 4 foldaway one in the spare bedroom.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gc4946 said:

My mum could have seen them steaming through Tivetshall, Norfolk in the 40s, I'm considering buying an example.

However, I'm assuming the loco will be based on the full-fat version of the B17, as opposed to the Railroad version.

we aren’t sure it’s based on either of the previous models. Judging by the price, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s entirely new work top to bottom as it’s roughly comparable with other new toolings for locos this size

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rogerzilla said:

I may push the button on this one when I see what Rails and Hatton are asking (typical discount seems to be about £20 from other retailers).  The £20 saving is less important than proper packing, which has been an issue with Hornby direct sales in the past.

You're going to have a long wait. Rails don't stock Hornby anymore and Hattons are tier 3 so don't get to order Hornby items until they arrive at the Hornby warehouse.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, PaulG said:

Don't need carriages, this photo (unsure of photographer) was taken at Witham on up milk.

561963630_upmilktrainatWitham.jpg.3a83b0251c3afdc45c49e907ff0e1cc6.jpg

I’m sure that the two loco’s ran with other passenger stock other than ‘The East Anglian’ stock, especially in BR days, and as shown in the terrific picture, freight workings.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Downer said:

These locos never appeared in Brunswick green.

That kind of thing hasn’t stopped KR Models producing a variety of GT3s in “never was” liveries, nor Hornby with the W1, so I would not be at all surprised to see it. Anyone who doesn’t like the thought may have to buy one of the “correct” versions and hold their noses over anything else. The key

point if so that HAS to be made clear in the advertising and on the packaging is that it IS a “never was, but might have been, if only”. And therefore maybe only do the early BR Green livery but not the later one, so as not to stretch credibility too far …

Edited by Willie Whizz
Spilling orror

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Willie Whizz said:

That kind of thing hasn’t stopped KR Models producing a variety of GT3s in “never was” liveries, nor Hornby with the W1, so I would not be at all surprised to see it. Anyone who doesn’t like the thought may have to buy one of the “correct” versions and hold their noses over anything else. The key

point if so that HAS to be made clear in the advertising and on the packaging is that it IS a “never was, but might have been, if only”. And therefore maybe only do the early BR Green livery but not the later one, so as not to stretch credibility too far …

Modern day LNER Red / Swoosh livery might fit that shape quite well…

LNER Red logo on the tender…

:-)

17 hours ago, rogerzilla said:

Haha!  I was bemoaning the lack of one of these in model form only last week.  The streamlining was purely cosmetic but it did suit them.

Really?  They looked like A4s suffering from congenital dwarfism.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Modern day LNER Red / Swoosh livery might fit that shape quite well…

LNER Red logo on the tender…

:-)

No, please spare us!!!!!

I've always thought 'LNER' on red just looked so wrong

(And was an LNER driver till 3 years ago)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Edge said:

we aren’t sure it’s based on either of the previous models. Judging by the price, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s entirely new work top to bottom as it’s roughly comparable with other new toolings for locos this size

Part of the presentation at last years BRMA convention in Adelaide from Simon Kohler, he stated that they do all the design work for each new release from the rails up and don't "reuse" existing CAD etc. I find this very hard to believe. If I was a design manager I would be stating - lets look at the information that we already hold in electronic form - Copy paste- Now lets look at the modifications and how we use what we already have! this would probably save 80 hours of CAD drawing if not more! So i take with a grain of salt what he said - he is in Marketing not in tool design, totally different skills- they may have only copied and pasted the bits they needed and then started to do the redesign/ upgrades to get to the new model. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3