The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2023

didcot

I know it's all about safety but Brundle summed it up well as the Sprint Qualifying was delayed yet again - "why do we have wet tyres?". He chose not to say any more.

We're now on the 4th lap behind the safety car at the start of the sprint. It's a rolling start and 2 of the laps were formation, the other 2 racing but a 5th lap has just been declared as I type. They're on full wets but drivers are saying it's time for inters but it will be chaos if all 20 cars come in together to change.

Spa is a great circuit but it brings back memories of the 2021 farce. The FIA are a shambles at the best of times but right now they seem unable to make a decision and stick to it.

I feel for the sodden thousands sitting on grass banks waiting for something to happen.

• Like 4

Breaking News. Red Bull over spend 2023 due to paying FIA/race stewards to give anyone who collide with their cars, even when it's RB's fault a penalty. 

How the !@#$%%&& did Hamilton get a penalty for that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

So when does turn 9 at the Belgium Spa-Francorchamps circuit that is called by everyone 'the turn with no name' actually become the name of the turn, and therefore is both a name and incorrect at the same time...

No cat was injured or otherwise in the writing of this post...

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, didcot said:

And Hamilton get 2 points on his license as well.

I think he deserved the penalty - he has been very lucky in the past in more serious circumstances, or does English exceptionalism extend to F1 as well?

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1

No, definitely not.

It's not like he went charging in all guns blazing and blatantly knocked Perez out of the way. Martin Brundel called it a racing incident. Perez made a mistake and Hamilton tried to take advantage of that. Perhaps he drifted, but it was the slightest of contact. Yes it damaged Perez's car, but not to the " he tore the side of my car off" extent that Perez claimed. It certainly damaged the side pod which caused handling issues and unfortunately lead to a DNF. Christian Horner didn't make much of it when interviewed. Which was surprising. 

Consider Monza in 2021 where Verstappen ended up on top off Hamilton. Clearly a much more serious incident, which injured Hamiltons neck. Penalty at that time went to Verstappen with 2 points on his licence. 

So I have issues with the severity and continuity of penalties. Perhaps I should have made that clearer.

There were closer shaves and more safety issues during the pitstops that at this point in time haven't incurred penalties.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

Ignoring previous precidents to my eye yes Hamilton deserved a penalty. He touched the curb on the inside and as a result understeered into Checko. Arguably had he been traveling at a speed/line appropriate to not doing that he wouldn't have been able to get far enough alongside to pass. It wasn't deliberate but it would still be an unfair advantage and did damage the car.

Other than that, qualifying qualifying sprinting qualifying. Boring.

*Cough* reverse grids *cough*

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 29/07/2023 at 00:08, LNERandBR said:

No as I enjoy Spa, it's a proper racetrack and not a silly pop up street circuit that looks like all the others and has no character. 

It's one of the best tracks on the calendar and I was very disappointed when the race two years ago got called off.

Agreed, a favourite of mine too, and the section through Eau Rouge is one of the most iconic and breathtaking on the calendar.  Sadly any love for the circuit has to be tempered by having more than a fair share of fatal accidents.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Another vote for Spa as a smashing venue. Lots of ups and downs - the climb from Eau Rouge to Raidillon is ridiculously steep - and the forested terrain makes the whole place spectacular. My last live F1 was there in 2005. We sat in the Raidillon stand - and Fisichella obliged by spinning off there, without injury. Yes, we had got drenched in practice and quali.

The weather is astonishingly capricious. Last time I was there, 2012 for the 24 hrs, Deb and I set off into the forest to Pouhon in glorious sunshine and blue skies. A couple of hours later we were being drenched - again! 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I think the Hamilton penalty was very harsh. F1 is becoming very "namby-pamby" with drivers regularly radioing in "he hit me" - "touched" would be a better description. Imagine in the heats of a 1500m athletics race, you reach the final, but get told you will start ten seconds after the rest because you clipped the heel of the guy in front on the second lap of the heat - it wouldn't happen. The drivers would never admit to it, but if they can create a time penalty for someone, their on the radio straightaway. It was never like this years ago.

Edited by Bulleidboy100
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

I think the Hamilton penalty was very harsh. 

You are not alone. This from Pitpass.

"social media saw the usual pile-on, with 'fans' hitting out at the FIA and singling out Driver Steward, Derek Warwick, who also happened to be on duty in Abu Dhabi in 2021.

The former F1 driver, F3 and World Sportscar champion, was accused of racism towards Hamilton and it was even pointed out that he has a Honda dealership, as F1 continues to laud the new demographic it is welcoming to the sport."

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

I think the Hamilton penalty was very harsh. F1 is becoming very "namby-pamby" with drivers regularly radioing in "he hit me" - "touched" would be a better description. Imagine in the heats of a 1500m athletics race, you reach the final, but get told you will start ten seconds after the rest because you clipped the heel of the guy in front on the second lap of the heat - it wouldn't happen. The drivers would never admit to it, but if they can create a time penalty for someone, there on the radio straightaway. It was never like this years ago.

Sounds like it's catching up with football.

Admittedly the risks involved from a collision in F1 are rather higher than football (although that's not risk-free), but still.

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A really good race, with minimal weather interference and plenty of overtaking in brave locations. A predictable winner, sure, but lots of dicing and pit-strategies to keep it interesting. But, as always, La Source has an impact on Lap 1 and that was a pity. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

After an hour of watching the C4 Formula E coverage which ended just as soon as they started racing proper, I thought the F1 was going to be eventful- especially when Lee Mackenzie said "we've got a lot to get through". But all I saw was 1.5 very fast Williams still finishing at the back and some kid arguing with everyone who came on his radio. I hope it doesn't affect his mindset during the summer break too much.  

Very fitting interview with Pierre Gasly and nice to see LH and Mercedes getting fastest lap.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

What the hell happened to the Williams?! Albon was on a charge, up to 11th when everyone in front was yet to pit. There was talk of 6th place being up for grabs, and then he finished 14th(?). 

Decent race though. Aside from MV winning. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Anyone with a gap behind them can pit for new tyres to set the fastest lap. It does not really mean a lot.

New tyres don't spacifically mean you will get fastest lap. You still have to put the lap together and not make a mistake or be too complacent.

Wasn't it a Ferrari who screwed that up recently?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, LNERandBR said:

You still have to put the lap together and not make a mistake...

And let's not forget it was a set of medium tires....

Vecchio, 

Hamilton fan

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Anyone with a gap behind them can pit for new tyres to set the fastest lap. It does not really mean a lot.

Yes it does. It means you steal a point from Verstappen. Well worthwhile.

• Like 4
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Gold
On 29/07/2023 at 20:11, didcot said:

It's not like he went charging in all guns blazing and blatantly knocked Perez out of the way. Martin Brundel called it a racing incident. Perez made a mistake and Hamilton tried to take advantage of that. Perhaps he drifted, but it was the slightest of contact. Yes it damaged Perez's car, but not to the " he tore the side of my car off" extent that Perez claimed. It certainly damaged the side pod which caused handling issues and unfortunately lead to a DNF. Christian Horner didn't make much of it when interviewed. Which was surprising. 

Checo came second, not a DNF? Lewis didn't "gain an advantage" from the incident, so I'm in agreement with the pundits, racing incident.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 29/07/2023 at 19:39, 30368 said:

I think he deserved the penalty - he has been very lucky in the past in more serious circumstances

Yes, very lucky - like when someone parked his car on top of Lewis's and then proceeded to rev the engine and spin the wheels, or when he was run off the track in Brazil by an out of control kamikaze driver who couldn't even make the corner himself. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 7