LMS Duchess livery question

rodent279

• RMweb Gold

I've read that one of the Duchesses during the war went into a light blue/grey livery, as a prototype post-war livery scheme, but it wasn't progressed with. Is there anything on record as to what colour was used, and for how long it was worn?

Also, is LMS crimson lake correct for a Duchess with smoke deflectors? Weren't smoke deflectors only fitted post-war, when they were in black?

• Like 1

6234 got the LMS experimental Blue/grey livery in March 1946.  It was repainted BR lined Black in October 1948. The first to be fitted with smoke deflectors were 6232 and 6252 which got smoke defectors in February and March 1945. 6232 was LMS red with deflectors until May 1948 when it got the LMS 1946 black livery with its BR number 46232.  6252 was LMS plain black when it got its deflectors.  (LMS Locomotive profiles vol 11 - Wild Swan).

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

The slate blue-grey livery was applied to 6234 in March 1946. This seems to have lasted until 1948 when black replaced it and a further repaint came in March 1952 when BR green was applied. 6233 was given smoke deflectors while still carrying Crimson Lake livery but no others are known.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

This has come up before. Ignore the Wrenn Duchess as it's much too light grey for the description, that's more like a photographic grey.

This is possibly more correct. It was only lined on one side.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rorysmith/2320717895

There was also Jubilee 5573 Newfoundland and I have a feeling there is a colour photo of that somewhere.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Thinking back ISTR seeing somewhere it being described as being similar to the colour the RAF painted their road vehicles. It may have even been surplus paint.

Jason

So the LMS gave one of their premier locomotives, war surplus paint. Sounds rather unlikely, better to try on a Jubilee or similar.

• Like 1

I have compiled some details for the class, but I would be sceptical about the accuracy of any records from 70+ years ago, including my own.

For the first 5 non-streamliners, the only ones to carry Crimson Lake:

All were built in 1938 with single chimneys & no smoke deflectors.

6234 got a double chimney in Feb 1939. It received smoke deflectors when it was painted experimental blue in March 1946.

6231 was painted wartime plain black in August 1944 then got deflectors in September 1946. It got 1946 black livery in November 1947.

6232 got deflectors in February 1945 & carried Crimson Lake until nationlisation.

6230 & 6233 both got deflectors in September 1946 while carrying Crimson Lake. 6230 carried Lake until nationalisation but 6233 got 1946 black in July 1947.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

So the LMS gave one of their premier locomotives, war surplus paint. Sounds rather unlikely, better to try on a Jubilee or similar.

Used for painting staff cars so would have been gloss. You do know there was a war on.....

But I take it you didn't read above. It WAS tried on a Jubilee. 5573 Newfoundland to be exact.

This is the colour I'm talking about.

spacer.png

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 2