Bachmann EMU/DEMU Headcode/Tail Lights

Gray69

I have a number of Zimo fitted Bachmann CEP, EPB, HAP, MLV and 2H models that I would like to be able to have the headcode/tail lights on at just one end.

Currently when you run units in multiple, you can't turn off the headcode/tail lights on the intermediate cabs.

I have seen the great explanation of Swiss Mapping for Zimo chips by Nigelcliffe in the Dapol 59 thread, but despite much experimentation, I have been unable to get it to work on any of my units.

Does anybody know how to do this.

Cheers

How is the loco (units) wired internally ?    If they've followed the traditional (stupid?) approach of connecting the white-front to the red-rear lights (and white-rear to red-front), then you need to make internal wiring changes before you have independent control of the front and rear lights. 

- Nigel

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

The CEPs and EPBs are wired slightly differently, because the CEPs have their internal lights separately switchable. However, all of these Bachmann EMUs have the headcode lights wired such that you cannot separate them purely with decoder outputs: the same output works both ends. As Nigel has suggested, you will need to alter the internal wiring/PCB, and feed wires from the decoder outputs to the newly separated light functions.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I wondered if this would be the case. I have modified the lights on some Bachmann locos, but any changes I have made can be easily be reversed.

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be separate wires for the lights on the EMU's, it is all part of the PCB. I assume that it would be possible, but it would mean doing physical damage to the PCB.

• Agree 1