Doctor Who figures in OO/HO?

I asked this a while back, and unfortunately 1:76, or even a closeby scale seems uncatered for. I searched high and low for any figures that even looked like any of the first nine Doctors without success. The only suggestion I can offer is repaint and modify slightly some figures that represent a close resemblance.

As far as I know Dapol produce a lot of the Doctor Who merchandise under licence. It therefore surprised me that they haven't cashed in on the easy access to the Hornby Skaledale Police phone box (aka the TARDIS) and produced figures to match. I'm sure more than just model railway people would buy them too.

There's nothing official at that size, but I think there may be a some suitable "Not Who" figures out there. One place to ask would be www.theminiaturespage.com and if it's out there someone will point you the right way. For OO you're looking for 20mm scale or large 15mm scale wargames miniatures. For O you're actually a lot better off as there are pre-painted figure packs from Character Options covering David Tennant's Dr and enemies in 28/30mm scale which suffers from considerable scale creep so is pretty much 1:45 now rather than 1:64 as it used to be. There's a few unofficial cameos in some SF ranges, plus the former offically licensed range from Black Tree Design. These will be way too big for OO though despite being older, "smaller" 28mm.

Ground Zero Games have a few sneaky cameos in there ranges in 15mm, unfortunately the Good Dr isn't amongst them :(

As far as I know Dapol produce a lot of the Doctor Who merchandise under licence. It therefore surprised me that they haven't cashed in on the easy access to the Hornby Skaledale Police phone box (aka the TARDIS) and produced figures to match. I'm sure more than just model railway people would buy them too.

Dapol haven't had the Dr Who license for at least 10 years now (under previous management I think...).

I asked this a while back, and unfortunately 1:76, or even a closeby scale seems uncatered for. I searched high and low for any figures that even looked like any of the first nine Doctors without success. The only suggestion I can offer is repaint and modify slightly some figures that represent a close resemblance.

Way back in the distant past (i.e. about 1982) I got from Games Centre (Not Games Woirkshop!) a box of figures manufactured by Citadel of Daleks and Cyberman. I know where the box is but I can't get to it at the moment. I wouldn't like to commit to the scale but is would be around 1:87 - 1:76 - 1:72. My idea was to have the loco's driven by them (I'm far too sensible now...). If I can find the box, I'll drop you some more info. As for the Doctors I'm not sure but K9 maybe...

Way back in the distant past (i.e. about 1982) I got from Games Centre (Not Games Woirkshop!) a box of figures manufactured by Citadel of Daleks and Cyberman. I know where the box is but I can't get to it at the moment. I wouldn't like to commit to the scale but is would be around 1:87 - 1:76 - 1:72. My idea was to have the loco's driven by them (I'm far too sensible now...). If I can find the box, I'll drop you some more info. As for the Doctors I'm not sure but K9 maybe...

Nope, they were 28mm so nearer 1:64. Basically, approximately 1 inch to the eyes.

This could also double as extra storage for your layout as it would be much bigger inside than out! laugh.gif

That would certainly make transporting the layout to exhibits a lot easier. Splendid idea!

The Citadel Miniatures were 25mm, not 28mm. Jon Pertwee was 6'2" and Tom Baker is 6'3" so 25mm would be more or less correct height.

The reason 28mm exists as a "scale" is because of the scale creep that Citadel introduced in the 1980's to 25mm miniatures (which is when these date from...). I have a full set of these and they are patently too large to be be "true" 25mm miniatures.

The DW type 'monsters' below are cast white metal figures purchased from a Games Workshop store a long time ago that I've painted, so something similar could no doubt be sought. The dalek figures are plastic kits (1" tall) that I purchased on ebay some while ago (that I've yet to finish and paint) so at least there are some available.

post-33-127771724818_thumb.jpg

G.

• RMweb Premium

The Citadel figures turn up on ebay from time to time. If I recall, you get 2 cybermen(1 piece) and 2 daleks(4 piece, with alternative stalks) per sprue. I bought two sprues a few years back. I friend of mine is a bit of a DW nut and says while some BIN prices are high, the auctions usually go for fairly low prices. I would expect now to pay around £4-5 a sprue.

• RMweb Premium

Try looking at some of the sci-fi/fantasy figures that are available. Micromachines used to produce various TV based sets of figures that are suitable for OO scale but they are no longer in business and some sets command high prices.

• 9 months later...

Instead of looking for suppliers, why not just scratch build? That's what I did. Just a few hours work designing the photo sheets to the right scale, a bit of plastikard, glue and paint, and the addition of some Dart Castings figures, and you can have a unique item rather than a generic out of the box skalefdale one (still working on the slow pulse light though.....can't seem to get my circuit working on 12v)

I think i might even start selling these on Ebay!

post-10446-0-29360100-1301653727_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I include a Tardis on Rederring, it gives an excuse to do the occasional silly running as it's distorted space and time! I lay it on top of a garden shed as in the first episode of the last series and it is amazing how many people stand it upright!

post-6784-0-15208500-1301662651_thumb.jpg

Peter

I was able to grab a sprue of the Citadel Dalek's & Cybermen... as well as a white metal Dalek from the same line... have not got around to building & painting them yet. They are a little large when sitting next to a proper 1:76 figure... but if off in the corner of the layout, I'm sure they'll look quite good.

On another note... my Dad and I have a bit of fun with his TARDIS... whenever I go for a visit, it's always in a different spot. He claims not to move it.. and that it moves on it's own... so the fun is in trying to locate it! It also mysteriously seems to up and move after I've left too... ;)

All good fun!

I have a train of Daleks that come riding in on the engineers rake of ZCA opens from time to time on the club layout Smethurst Junction I help with. Plus some years ago I got a Dalek easter egg and it came with a handy sound module, which when pressed utters their immortal catchphrase a few times. I stick the Tardis on the layout as well and run a short mp3 sound clip via a hidden player and speakers to add to the effect. The kids liked it when we have made the sounds and operated the sounds. A bit of fun to liven things up!

Cheers Paul

Archived