ESU sound chip - has it gone the way of the parrot?

cromptonnut

I have an SWD DMU sound chip. Was working fine.

Now, motor functions work but none of the sound functions respond - except a two tone horn the moment I put the loco on the track and connect power.

The speaker is obviously fine. So are the power connections as the unit moves.

Is there anything I can do or check, or is it a "return to SWD"?

• RMweb Gold

If the horn is still sounding then it proves that the amplifier is good, chances are it can be saved. Try switching of Functions 2 and 3 and see if it still makes the horn sound.

Try reprogramming its address.

Andi

• RMweb Gold

i had a problem with an swd class 66 chip that the sound went all to cock on, basically all the sounds ended up in different slots after i did a cv8 reset, i.e sound on and off ended up on function 2, horn was function 3 etc, maybe something like that has happened if the layout has had a power spike or something?

as dagworth says at least there is some sound coming out of it so all is not lost!

I don't know whether not using something could cause a problem but the chip in question has been in a loco that hasn't had power applied for about 5 months ... could it have somehow lost its settings?

Will try changing the address this evening (something I had planned to do at some point anyway) but it's just strange how I get a horn sound as I put it on the track and no other sounds working.

Dagworth, I've pressed on (and off) every function button my Lenz set 90 has, to no avail before posting here!

Will report later what happens.

I reprogrammed the address as per Dagworth's instructions (it was interesting trying to persuade an O gauge motor bogie to sit diagonally across a piece of OO track and stay in contact during programming - really must sort that out) and it burst into life wonderfully, thank you so much for that simple but effective solution.

Next challenge is to fit the bass reflex speaker somewhere in the chassis - but that can wait for another day as I don't fany slaving over a soldering iron today!

(it was interesting trying to persuade an O gauge motor bogie to sit diagonally across a piece of OO track and stay in contact during programming - really must sort that out)

I always use crocodile clips to the track from the programmer. If the track is long enough you can run the loco on the Decoder Tester in Lokprogrammer.

When I am programming the decoder sounds I usually use the clips direct to the wheels.

Archived