The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Unwanted things about Xmas.

rockershovel

16 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Or as an old friend of mine put it "You never see a farmer on a bike".

Any road up - where can you find a rural pub these days?

Bernard

In most of the larger rural villages and quite a few of the smaller ones. I know that a good number have closed  (though not as many as the number of pubs in my part of W. London that are now McDonalds) but I  know plenty of them around the Chilterns, Cotwolds, Beds and Bucks, Hampshire etc. ad infinitum.

• Informative/Useful 1

I worked twenty Christmases for a major drinks firm,where for the whole of December we had to more or less sell our souls to the company.No time off allowed in December,and the hours were whatever it took to get the job done. Looking back now I can laugh,at the outbursts of temper amongst colleagues,customers sometimes screaming at us for getting things wrong,and the sheer hard work involved.I think we all secretly enjoyed it...

Christmas is ok if you take it for what it is.And how grateful I am that,at the age of around six,my parents bought me a Triang train set,which introduced me to this fab interest,both models and the real thing.

Happy Xmas all,

Neil.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

where can you find a rural pub these days?

Bernard

5 hours ago, melmerby said:

Still plenty in Worcestershire

If anybody's visiting the Wythall Transport Museum, there's one quite close.

Exiting the Museum go straight on until the end of the road, turn right, about half a mile and you will go over a crossroads and down a hill, halfway down on the right is the Coach & Horses,

It even has it's own brewery. "Weatheroak Hill Brewery"

Edited by melmerby
Correcting
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

And another thing.

The interminable "Christmas" films, where X travels to Y and has an unexpected romantic entanglement with Z. Who may well be Xs ex, or a business rival.  Sometimes X and Z might have an on/off "Christmas Wedding". Or X might have to learn "The true meaning of Christmas"...

I forgot, X might have to co-operate with Z. They are siblings who have never got on together. This naturally morphs into another "True meaning of Christmas" heap of slush.

Films that should never have been made!

Edited by Hroth
mistype - I blame this tablet...
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

14 minutes ago, Hroth said:

And another thing.

The interminable "Christmas" films, where X travels to Y and has an unexpected romantic entanglement with Z. Who may well be Xs ex, or a business rival.  Sometimes X and Z might have an on/off "Christmas Wedding". Or X might have to learn "The true meaning of Christmas"...

I forgot, X might have to co-operate with Z. They are siblings who have never got on together. This naturally morphs into another "True meaning of Christmas" heap of slush.

I love Christmas films....

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Hroth said:

And another thing.

I quite approve of these. My good wife watches them endlessly and they are a great improvement on her usual marathons of soap operas in which ill-bred people she would cross the street to avoid in real life, rush in and out shouting at each other or take turns to go to prison. That, or sitcoms which weren't particularly funny thirty years ago. 

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

The one negative thing about Christmas I do try to be sensitive to is that it is easy to forget it will not be a happy time for some. There are people facing their first Christmas since losing a loved one, people who don't have a family to share it with, people for whom Christmas is associated with memories they'd rather not have and who would rather avoid it. In all the merriment and enjoyment it's easy to be very insensitive.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

The one negative thing about Christmas I do try to be sensitive to is that it is easy to forget it will not be a happy time for some. There are people facing their first Christmas since losing a loved one, people who don't have a family to share it with, people for whom Christmas is associated with memories they'd rather not have and who would rather avoid it. In all the merriment and enjoyment it's easy to be very insensitive.

And there are others who would rather, quite frankly, evade all the faux bonhomie, and over-indulgence, and read a good book or build a wagon kit.... 

All the hype starts so early these days that I usually find myself in unreconstructed Ebenezer mode by at least a week before the day!

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

And there are others who would rather, quite frankly, evade all the faux bonhomie, and over-indulgence, and read a good book or build a wagon kit.... 

All the hype starts so early these days that I usually find myself in unreconstructed Ebenezer mode by at least a week before the day!

John

"at least a week"?  My Ebenezer leanings start to stir as the Christmas flummery shoulders the Halloween stock off the shelves in the shops.  By the start of December, its more or less fully blown!

To rub it all in, today I will start reading A Christmas Carol, a stave a day, finishing on Christmas Morning.

Fancy a humbug?  🤨

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

"at least a week"?  My Ebenezer leanings start to stir as the Christmas flummery shoulders the Halloween stock off the shelves in the shops.  By the start of December, its more or less fully blown!

To rub it all in, today I will start reading A Christmas Carol, a stave a day, finishing on Christmas Morning.

Fancy a humbug?  🤨

The problem with A Christmas Carol is that it ends up ruining a decent character in Scrooge.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

It's abalone season here, urrghh. Abalone is a Chinese New Year tradition here, not Xmas but the Chinese New Year is close to Christmas this year. It's funny, I've yet to meet anyone who says they like abalone but all my local friends will buy it because it's expected as a New Year luxury. I'll be avoiding.

• RMweb Gold

We, me and The Squeeze, mostly carry on as if nothing was happening, and just try to ignore the whole thing as much as possible, moaning about the crowds in the shops and the queues for the checkouts.  Back about 15 years ago, I went shopping, my ordinary shopping, in the big 24-hour Tesco on Western Avenue in Cardiff at 3am on the morning of the 24th, in the hope of avoiding the crush.  Everybody else had had the same idea, car park was full, every till manned and 30-minute queues at each.  I looked at the man in front of me to see what items he needed so desperately that he'd gone out at this ungodly hour to get them, and in his trolley, trolley not basket, were 2 items, an alarm clock radio and one pack of underpants.

The Squeeze is 'Of Faith' a practicing Believer, Polish Catholic variety, but will not on principle attend church because she hates the organisation, which she says is corrupt and a devisive influence.  I do offer to go to midnight mass with her if she wants, in an atheist observer role; I'd be happy enough to sing carols and actually rather like Adeste Fideles (it's about the President of Cuba, isn't it?).  We respect and support each others' beliefs.

It is quite possible to simply let the world carry on with this insanity and waste to it's heart's content, but the crowds are inconvenienct and the relentless marketing impossible to avoid.  I do buy some treats only available at this time of year in Aldi, such as pork and cranberry pate, but would buy them all year round if they were on the shelves, and take as much advantage as I can of the post-Boxing Day clearance prices in which I might even pick up some knock-down mince pies and such.  I'm not a fan of turkey though the dark undermeat and legs are ok, and can be dead cheap around the 27th or 28th if Aldi has overstocked,  We feel quite smug and superior having our quiet normal day on the 25th while everyone else is sinking into their unhealthy and fattening late afternoon stupor. 

I find this approach a good defence mechanism.  Xmas is a horrible time for many like us, who do not have family to celebrate it with or kids to indulge, or are trying to cope with mental illness issues, or who have lost loved ones at this time only to have the relentless respiteless banging on constantly bringing grief to the front of their minds for a couple of months.  No wonder xmas and new year's are peak periods for suicides.

Anyway, I'm off up the pub now for a pint with Biker Tony, who is a practising Odinist Pagan and will be celebrating the Yule.  He says he knows a really good way of sacrificing virgins without harming them, and I think I know what it is...

Whatever your approach, have the best xmas you can, everyone.  I will be!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The Squeeze is 'Of Faith' a practicing Believer, Polish Catholic variety, but will not on principle attend church because she hates the organisation, which she says is corrupt and a devisive influence.  I do offer to go to midnight mass with her if she wants, in an atheist observer role; I'd be happy enough to sing carols and actually rather like Adeste Fideles (it's about the President of Cuba, isn't it?).  We respect and support each others' beliefs.

I'm in a similar position.  I offer to take her to Church but don't go in and participate - I don't call myself an atheist, preferring the term heathen (a bloke in a dog collar once told me that's what I am, and he's the one with relevant qualifications), so participating in the service would make me a hypocrite.  I do attend funerals out of respect but on principle I don't sing hymns.   I was told at school assembly "If you can't sing in tune boy, keep yer gob shut".  It was fair comment then, and would be even more so now. 

We were having a meal in a Cambridge pub a few years ago and her then padre (a Welshman) came in dressed like a roadie, set up a sound system and got his church choir to sing a few Xmas carols in aid of some worthy cause.   He asked me to nominate a carol and they would sing it if it was in their repertoire.  So I gave him a choice of three - Ar hyd y nos, Adeste Fideles, or Stille Nacht.  I said I don't mind as long as the God stuff is in a language I don't speak!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I used to love Christmas:- I still do. it was a magical time. Its had its shine taken off a bit as I got older.

Sprouts should be nicely cooked, then drained in a colander. Once cool, you can throw them in the bin..... 

Ideally, I'd like a time machine for Christmas. Then I can go back and shoot all of those bl**dy awful Christmas records.  I like Slade, but I'd really like a change.

"Do they know it's Christmas? Yes, we do, but they won't let us forget it...

Never mind.  Roll on to Christmas, and lets have some Easter eggs....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

Ideally, I'd like a time machine for Christmas. Then I can go back and shoot all of those bl**dy awful Christmas records.  I like Slade, but I'd really like a change.

A week ago the top 40 record charts had 23 (mostly old) Christmas songs.