The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Unwanted things about Xmas.

rockershovel

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Grass?

We had a primeval swamp with T-Rex and others to fend off, just to get the outside khasi (i.e. hole in the ground)

Primeval swamp? You were lucky; we lived back in the Hadean in a lake of acidic lava under meteorite bombardment and constant electrical storms.  We’d have given anything for a T-Rex to fight off on the way to the outside khasi. 

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

I had the misfortune to visit my local M&S Food Hall and Waitrose this morning.  The usual pack of dithering old people, blocking aisles and seemingly taking forever to decide what to buy, were even worse today with the Christmas Ditherers now prevalent, blocking out the entire cheese section in Waitrose whilst they tried to compile a mental list of who is visiting and when over the next week and what cheese they like.

Arrrrggghhh!!!!

Me, I have list, go in, buy and get out as fast as possible!!!

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

I had the misfortune to visit my local M&S Food Hall and Waitrose this morning. 

Sounds more like showing off to me, rather than 'misfortune'. 😝

Funny program just been on TV, about how Aldi xmas foods are better than Harrod's', in blind taste tests. 🥳

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

I had the misfortune to visit my local M&S Food Hall and Waitrose this morning.  The usual pack of dithering old people, blocking aisles and seemingly taking forever to decide what to buy, were even worse today with the Christmas Ditherers now prevalent, blocking out the entire cheese section in Waitrose whilst they tried to compile a mental list of who is visiting and when over the next week and what cheese they like.

Arrrrggghhh!!!!

Me, I have list, go in, buy and get out as fast as possible!!!

Remember that old age comes to us all!

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It was Christmas Day in the harem,
The eunuchs they all were there,
Watching the dusky maidens,
Combing their hair,
When a voice from out of the chimney
Echoed round those marble halls.
It asked them what they all wanted,
And they all replied..."Some liquorice allsorts."

Brit15

• Funny 7

I spent a number of Xmases (sp?) at sea over the years and on the whole, quite enjoyed them 

One which rather fell into the "unwanted" group was one of my last offshore jobs, a rig move in Danish waters. I'd taken this job on at short notice as a replacement, packed my wife off to my daughter's ... then found myself demobbed and re-mobbed over a span of 70 hours or so between Xmas Eve and 27th. 

This is always a risk in rig moves although it's not usual. Most commonly you are parked in a nearby hotel on a standby rate but on this occasion I made a chaotic, roundabout journey to a cold house (the client insisted I went to my "address of mobilisation") and lost a days pay in the process. 

Another low point was spending Xmas 2011 on a down-manned jack-up in a desolate Dutch port. The inevitable contractual game-playing meant that I had to be there as "Client Rep" ... it wasn't much fun although the Barge Master and one remaining member of the Stewards team did their best. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Many years ago at work we took turns at being on emergency standby over the season. Before I had kids I often traded New Years Eve for being on call Xmas day. I once spent the whole of Xmas day in a chemical works in Widnes, and another in a tunnel shaft under the Manchester Ship canal - both times supervising gas emergency works. Not all bad though, one Xmas week night we attended a big job outside the management HQ of ICI at Runcorn, I remember the butler (or whatever his job was) coming out to us with a nip of Brandy and a mince pie each on a large silver tray !! So spare a thought and raise a glass on Xmas day for all those who serve us and work on Christmas day, in a multitude of occupations.

Aaah, the good old days, when single I did the holidays, double/triple time, day off in lieu and a call out payment each time, and the most grateful customers you'll ever meet!

I always remember the Ascot water heater I went out to 5 times one Xmas day, luxury!

Mike.

• Like 4

I was never paid extra for working Xmas and New Year, rig work (especially offshore) doesn't work that way; but I definitely found over time that having a reputation for availability paid off on various ways. 

My earliest years of rig work (for NCB contractors) paid differently, with plus rates for weekend working and very little Xmas or New Year work. 

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Sounds more like showing off to me, rather than 'misfortune'. 😝

Funny program just been on TV, about how Aldi xmas foods are better than Harrod's', in blind taste tests. 🥳

It was Aldi evening, there was also an hour long infotainment programme about how they got this year's "must-have" Christmas goodies from manufacturers to the store. And how people loved Kevin the Carrot...

Didn't watch the taste tests. Who won?  🤪

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

I am almost 80 and yesterday the woman on the check out at Aldi tried to beat me.

She held the last four items in one hand to push towards me as one lot, at the same time asking me if it was cash or card and when I said card, swinging the reader round towards me with her other hand.

I was ready. I pushed the items into my open bag with my right hand while removing my card, that had already been removed from my wallett, with my left hand from my jacket pocket and held it over the reader.

Still up for a challenge.

Bernard

Unlike others, much younger than you, who put everything carefully in their bags as they pass through the till, then get their purse out of their handbag and rummage through it, either for a card (which they slowly INSERT into the reader and slowly key the PIN in) or for the exact amount, including the slummy.

Now imagine that there are a couple of such snails ahead of you in the queue....

😬

30 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Unlike others, much younger than you, who put everything carefully in their bags as they pass through the till, then get their purse out of their handbag and rummage through it, either for a card (which they slowly INSERT into the reader and slowly key the PIN in) or for the exact amount, including the slummy.

Now imagine that there are a couple of such snails ahead of you in the queue....

😬

I'm a snail and ain't rushing for anyone at any checkout - I'm the paying customer don't forget !!!!

One of my pet hates, over quick, pushy checkout staff.

Brit15

• Like 3
  • Agree 2