Triang EMU

daryll

• RMweb Premium

Yes , its old , and yes its non-descript , neither BIL , SUB or anything else model on the Southern , but I love them.

next is a strip down , replace bogies with Bachman 36-005A bogies

using a plasticard floor and Ratio seats ,Printed seat covers , battery Lighting , and may be DCC , respray with halfords Brooklands green , new transfers from fox transfers , and flush glazing

Some may ask why , why not

R156-R225.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I have just bought one of these on ebay in shocking condition. But it now sparks its way round the oval like it's the no.1 song in heaven! 🤩 Even the headcode works. B.R. Blue for mine.....(you can't kill a Triang) 🤪

• Like 3

There's nothing wrong with having a liking for these units! I have  couple of them myself, in various states of repair (bought cheaply many, many moons ago). Non-descript as they are, they still have a certain character about them. Enjoy them for what they are.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Mix them with Triang M7s and suburban carriages and you have the basis of a nice period Minories. Add L1, BoB and 3MT with Mk1s and bogie van.  Possibly, a something-like 4 CEP from cut and shut Mk1 parts and EMU power bogies (surely someone must have done that?).

• Like 1

I have one of those Triang EMU's. It was my brother's before I got it. And I got it in 1955. He got it new. It still works well. I really do need to update it a bit, so I will follow how you get on with your modernization with some interest.

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I also have one of them. Not been used for decades, but had so much use in the past ,it was almost worn out by the time I got past my early teens and went on to other interests. Reading this thread has convinced me it needs at least a cosmetic update, so lead the way and some of us can pinch your ideas !

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to the OP I am now the proud owner of 4 car set.

It's going to be part of a scrap train, I'm trying to recreate the trains I used to see going through Chesterfield on their way to Armytages.

I realise the model is a bit of a work of fiction, but I'm going to replace the bogies with Bachmann 2 Bil spares so it can be de-motored and towed, maybe a bit of a repaint/renumber, yellow ends and that should suffice, it will be consisted with an old Triang SR bogie van which will have a detailing kit fitted, and voila, a condemned stock train.

I'll probably keep an eye out for another set to make the working a little bit longer.

Mike.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 22/12/2022 at 20:33, Enterprisingwestern said:

Thanks to the OP I am now the proud owner of 4 car set.

It's going to be part of a scrap train, I'm trying to recreate the trains I used to see going through Chesterfield on their way to Armytages.

I realise the model is a bit of a work of fiction, but I'm going to replace the bogies with Bachmann 2 Bil spares so it can be de-motored and towed, maybe a bit of a repaint/renumber, yellow ends and that should suffice, it will be consisted with an old Triang SR bogie van which will have a detailing kit fitted, and voila, a condemned stock train.

I'll probably keep an eye out for another set to make the working a little bit longer.

Mike.

Update.

I now have a 3 car unit, so in theory enough centre coaches to do two 3Sub units?

I'm in the dunno camp about lengthening the coaches, what is the general consensus and has anyone got pictures of the short and long side by side to see the difference?

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

I think that Farish cut'n'shut is probably about as good as can be done with this model, and you might be able to make something like a 2-BIL in this way as well  The big problem with Triang suburban stock (which is what these emus are based on) is that the gaps between the compartment windows between compartments were always far too large, remeniscent of first class gangwayed stock on the compartment side, such as LMS Period 1, Collett bowenders, Maunsell, and Gresley.

I get why Triang made them that way; any less plastic between the compartments is going to seriously weaken the bodyshell's structural integrity, but it always put me off using Triang suburbans.  I had the emu as a kid, and have to say the cabs are the best bit, not bad mouldings at all.  It wasn't a bad runner either, but made an awful noise!  The Tri/ish or is it Gra/ang hybrid is not a bad looking general impression at all. 

Friend of mine converted one to a 2-BIL by cutting between the window on what became the corridor side, didn't look too bad to me as a kid but it wouldn't cut the mustard these days!

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

You're dead right about the Tri-ang suburbans, they have very generous legroom. Other than the curved, Mk.1 profile I think they look rather like early Collet GWR in both window shape and for those little horizontal handrails each end, but cutting and shutting to create Third Class compartments would be a truly heroic (and now quite a pointless) exercise.

• Agree 2

On 22/01/2023 at 02:49, BernardTPM said:

I combined a Triang cab section (picked up cheap: broken side, no roof or bogies, painted silver!) with a 1970s Farish 00 suburban coach body to make something more like an Eastern Section 3-SUB or perhaps 4-LAV.

TriangFarish.jpg.eb4c406819236652effd837d51e5dfe0.jpg

I did something similar with some Farish coaches, converting them into a BIL and a HAL, using some slightly adapted white metal fronts and a cheap motor bogie fitted in the BIL, leaving the HAL as a dummy unit to be hauled. I still have them somewhere but no photos of them that I can find.

• Like 2

On 26/01/2023 at 10:03, BernardTPM said:

You're dead right about the Tri-ang suburbans, they have very generous legroom. Other than the curved, Mk.1 profile I think they look rather like early Collet GWR in both window shape and for those little horizontal handrails each end, but cutting and shutting to create Third Class compartments would be a truly heroic (and now quite a pointless) exercise.

Don't let Clive M know you've said that!

Roja

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

small up date.

A rebuilt motor bogie , new bearings , felt pads , brushes ( these needed a slight mod), remagnetize magnet a good clean and a couple of drops of Sewing machine oil , purs like a kitten , both directions , very slow progress , due to illness 

IMG_1352.JPG

IMG_1349.JPG

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, 33C said:

Nice. How did you remagnetize the magnet 🧲?

hi there 33C

A friend of mine built a re magentizer , its 50/50 if you get the poles the right way round , as luck would have it , it was the right way round first time , a circuit diagram is available .

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Schematic-of-the-magnetizer-connected-with-the-coil-represented-by-Rmc-Lmc-The-elements_fig2_330520755 , the diagram is under copyright , so I only gave the link , looks a bit lethal if you ask me

• Thanks 1