Certain Images showing red

• RMweb Gold

Can’t see another fault thread mentioning this but in the Hornby brake tender thread for example certain pictures are showing up red when viewed on iPhone, (not tried on my ipad or desktop) 

485DE12F-EF26-4FB3-9815-D5C8F25A24FC.jpeg.2f148e4c58ede49d7221f5f7f253e521.jpeg

Any idea what the issue may be, all other images in that thread are fine 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Jim, 

This was reported to Andy Y some time ago who was talking to Invision about it.

Various people looking at black and white photos in my thread have the same problem.  It seems to depend on a combination of browser and operating system on the device used.  It has only really happened in the last few months.

As far as my images are concerend I think I found a fix last night.  My black and white images were scanned  along time ago (2003-7ish), it seems that the scanning software and Photoshop did not embed a colour profile.

Yesterday I used Photoshop to add a colour profile (sRGB), so far people say that it is now in black and white not red.

I wonder if it is simply that newer operating systems and some browsers "do not like" images without a colour profile - perhaps it is to do with security.

I have sent Andy Y a long and complicated PM about it, I think he will look at it in his normal working hours next week - at least that is what I suggested!

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've just had this happen on a new thread/post I've made. On the W11 laptop the image I loaded was in greyscale and looked okay, black&white, but on my iphone and ipad - latest IOS version - was red. Taking it through Photoshop and changing the image file to RGB and re-loading cured the problem. So images that are not yours, ones you are just viewing, will be red it seems with nothing you can do about it, an IOS 15+ issue it appears.

Bob

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Izzy said:

an IOS 15+ issue it appears.

I would suggest not.  To me it looks like the forum software fails to handle true greyscale images correctly when you upload them and gives them that red tint.  A couple of recent images I uploaded look fine on other websites (Flickr etc) using IOS but go red on RMWeb alone.

sj005806.jpg.8a0a1f6e21ca06dbe1a4163a83ab4253.jpg

Note that this only seems to apply to uploaded images, a link to the corresponding Flickr image is fine:

56062 at Walsall

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

I would suggest not.  To me it looks like the forum software fails to handle true greyscale images correctly when you upload them and gives them that red tint.  A couple of recent images I uploaded look fine on other websites (Flickr etc) using IOS but go red on RMWeb alone.

sj005806.jpg.8a0a1f6e21ca06dbe1a4163a83ab4253.jpg

Note that this only seems to apply to uploaded images, a link to the corresponding Flickr image is fine:

56062 at Walsall

Both images look the same to me, viewed on a Chromebook.

Is it just a problem when viewed with IOS

Edited by rab

• RMweb Premium

They also show red in safari when using osx.

The issue is with safari not interpreting the colour profile from a grey scale image. 

If you want to correct it drag the image to the desktop and open it with preview. 

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Dave John said:

The issue is with safari not interpreting the colour profile from a grey scale image. 

Not on any of my set-ups.  Safari displays the greyscale image 100% fine (including the original file) in all instances except when uploaded through the RMWeb interface. As per my original post.

• Informative/Useful 1