Dapol 35 ton tank wagon parts

I need some advice regarding the Dapol 35 ton tank wagon.  I am following Geoff Kent's build in his 4mm Wagon book.  I want to start building by doing a Class B tanker to become familiar with the kit.  So, is there a source for Timken bearings in OO scale?  The molding on the kit is "meh".  Second, the Class B uses Dowty buffers.   Dart's 2314S is not available, so I looked at 2353 BR 1 foot 8 1/2 inch Dowty buffers, the idea to cut off the buffer and add Dart 2376 16" heads.  Suggestions?  As for the Oleo buffers, Kent's kitbash seems okay, but I looked at Accurail Oleo 13" buffers with the idea of cutting off these heads and replacing them with Dart 16" heads as the Accurale 16" Oleo buffers are out of stock.  I prefer to order parts from manufacturers as their shipping charges are reasonable, and I live in Canada.  On Ebay, a pack of buffers is 4 pounds and the shipping is 40 pounds.  And, lastly, can someone point me to a source for a sheet of 35 ton tank wagon decals?  Thanks in advance.

Ian

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, hogger said:

I need some advice regarding the Dapol 35 ton tank wagon.  I am following Geoff Kent's build in his 4mm Wagon book.  I want to start building by doing a Class B tanker to become familiar with the kit.  So, is there a source for Timken bearings in OO scale?  The molding on the kit is "meh".  Second, the Class B uses Dowty buffers.   Dart's 2314S is not available, so I looked at 2353 BR 1 foot 8 1/2 inch Dowty buffers, the idea to cut off the buffer and add Dart 2376 16" heads.  Suggestions?  As for the Oleo buffers, Kent's kitbash seems okay, but I looked at Accurail Oleo 13" buffers with the idea of cutting off these heads and replacing them with Dart 16" heads as the Accurale 16" Oleo buffers are out of stock.  I prefer to order parts from manufacturers as their shipping charges are reasonable, and I live in Canada.  On Ebay, a pack of buffers is 4 pounds and the shipping is 40 pounds.  And, lastly, can someone point me to a source for a sheet of 35 ton tank wagon decals?  Thanks in advance.

Ian

I can supply ESSO 35Tglw Class B transfers - see Sheet BL9 at the Cambridge Custom Transfers website.

You may also wish to peruse the list of Appleby Model Engineering components listed on the same website - there are quite a few hard-to-come-by axleboxes, buffers, tank fittings, etc., etc.

...... and I posted a large order to Canada only yesterday!

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1