JM Design 650 Class

I haven't posted anything on RMweb for quite a while, but here are a few photos of a loco which I completed recently.

It's a C.I.E. (ex-MGWR) 650 class 2-4-0, the rebuilt version with the Inchicore Y Class boiler.

It is built from John Mayne's etched kit. It's built to 21mm gauge (although for the photos it is posed on a 00 gauge layout).

Wheels are Alan Gibson (S4 profile) and it is powered by a High Level coreless motor and Roadrunner gearbox on the rear driving wheels.

In a particular fit of masochism, I decided to see if the cosmetic inside motion in the kit could be made to actually work.

This involved adapting Brassmasters components from their 4F motion for the eccentrics, cranks, connecting and eccentric rods (although in reality the "cranks" are cunningly disguised cams). The slidebars were those provided in the 650 kit and crossheads, piston rods and valve rods were made out of brass rod /washers /bits of scrap etch, etc. Most of this effort is now concealed behind splashers, springs and footplating, though I know it's there! If there's interest, I'll take a few pictures of the chassis and post them here.

Alan

650_1.jpg

650_2.jpg

650_3.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 1

Here are a few pictures with the "lid off" showing the arrangement of the motor / gearbox and also the (no longer cosmetic!) inside motion. I was glad of the extra width afforded by 21mm gauge to fit all the motion in. There's a small brass pin (the end of which can just be seen in some of the photos) which fits through a hole drilled through the axle, thus engaging the motion. It can be removed, disengaging the motion so that the chassis can be tested without the motion.

The coreless motors recently introduced by High Level have been a bit of a game changer - while not exactly cheap, they are very good motors. They are smooth, powerful and small, so it is feasible to fit them vertically in quite a small firebox. In this particular loco a Roadrunner gearbox is ideal. For other engines (depending where the wheels and axles are placed in relation to the firebox) a slightly longer gearbox such as the Roadrunner+ can be used.

Alan

650_4.jpg

650_5.jpg

650_6.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

It's hard to see it through all the adds, this site is a real joke and I rarely look at anything on it.

I've never seen a site so bad, I couldn't even type this without moving it up because there was

an add at the bottom blocking my view. 😬

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Trying to read this excellent thread but its nigh impossible with the stupid 'red top' like adverts popping all the time. There's a video add for 'Digi****' whatsit running that I cannot close or dismiss and its obscuring the content. Pity used to enjoy contributing here. Will stick to FaceBook groups, easier to use and no tabloid avertising. As a net contributor I refuse to pay a large corporation for the privilege of posting my content. @de Selby superb job and photos of your J15. Top class.

• Like 2