KR Models - New Class 40 EOI

Hilux5972

1 hour ago, 97406 said:

I can’t recall where I read it, but I’m sure I saw that the 40’s CADs are being refined at the moment. Can anybody confirm if that’s the case, or was it all a dream?

Until we see a pre production sample.

The dream goes on.....

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2

The Class 40 is in tooling according to KR's Spring Newsletter that was dumped into my inbox on the 7th May. I presume this means that there was enough interest to go forward with it considering the last official thing from KR suggested it was still at the EOI stage. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, 97406 said:

I can’t recall where I read it, but I’m sure I saw that the 40’s CADs are being refined at the moment. Can anybody confirm if that’s the case, or was it all a dream?

That was mentioned in a discussion about the latest newsletter I believe. I didn’t receive it so can’t confirm. 

Roy

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

That was mentioned in a discussion about the latest newsletter I believe. I didn’t receive it so can’t confirm. 

Roy

Same here, Roy. Those renders certainly need a lot of refinement. I’d hate to think the tooling is using the same source material!

20 hours ago, HExpressD said:

The Class 40 is in tooling according to KR's Spring Newsletter that was dumped into my inbox on the 7th May. I presume this means that there was enough interest to go forward with it considering the last official thing from KR suggested it was still at the EOI stage. 

I too had the same e,mail.    

i'm certain there is sufficient demand for the 40.

BUT more than 3 livery variations would be welcome.

On 04/07/2024 at 09:41, Suzy Sulzer said:

I too had the same e,mail.    

i'm certain there is sufficient demand for the 40.

BUT more than 3 livery variations would be welcome.

I’m sure there is demand for a high quality 40.

for low cost we have Limby railroad. Still good value and good looking model.

for mid range we have Bachmann, higher price but looks good and operates well.

for a poor / cheap build attempt of a 3rd option, not sure there will be a market. Those renders do not inspire confidence even without past glories such as the fell to consider…..

but you pays your money, you make your choice……

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

This time around there will be no excuses for any innaccuracies.  The fanboys will not be able to come up with excuses either like we had with the Fell.  When you step outside the niche market you have to be prepared to take it on the chin.

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

On 05/07/2024 at 19:34, black and decker boy said:

I’m sure there is demand for a high quality 40.

for low cost we have Limby railroad. Still good value and good looking model.

for mid range we have Bachmann, higher price but looks good and operates well.

for a poor / cheap build attempt of a 3rd option, not sure there will be a market. Those renders do not inspire confidence even without past glories such as the fell to consider…..

but you pays your money, you make your choice……

You forgot the  Jouef version dating back too mid 1970s.

I owned one back in the day .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/375262674009?itmmeta=01J261338VE3J1DXF566FWZ0DD&hash=item575f65fc59:g:zfAAAOSw1thl0Mgo&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAAwNgHgZ0KsJv2wfqQqiuz33ESyq1SOy3ITIw5GxONeXU49SBvd5lh0eEibM%2FWOClk5k3dop9q83PkeMdwhOemUaH5LCMn3lcU7BQb0l2fd3g5s8meqoL3blSPL25NkNxMiFdFapxBjRZO38S3oKeuxWgnJReg96nwq07ALuol66Tf%2FRwuzdCqM%2BB%2BKQmHWpb6AXRlMoSM7XpM0eWfSMOQrGwTvS%2Fa%2BtgGHN4PotKEFc5ZyEB%2FJM%2FaQgH6tn6e2Z522g%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR8K0jMGRZA

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Suzy Sulzer said:

I owned one back in the day .

and I bet it was a prized possession....just getting any model of a favourite loco was a treat back in the day....

Chris

• Like 3
  • Agree 9

1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

and I bet it was a prized possession....just getting any model of a favourite loco was a treat back in the day....

Chris

I did fancy one away back then; i was interested (and still am) in how different manufacturers tackle producing a model. I never managed to get one. Back then, it just wasn’t possible to find the money for everything I fancied. Come to think of it, it still isn’t!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

The Jouef model was of its time, pretty good then but very basic now. However I saw some superb examples which were super detailed and flush glazed. 

The Bachmann model is very good and personally I find it good enough.  It runs well, captures the look of the prototype well and is a robust layout model. Typical Bachmann.

The Hornby Railroad is a decent budget choice. I think the Hornby version is worth getting ahead of the original Lima releases as the Hornby motor bogie is much better. OK it's a motor bogie which may be seen as very yesterday, but it's a good one. Very smooth and quiet.

For the KR we will see. Let's see what the production model looks like.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

I bought the Joueff Class 40 when it appeared, extended the lower edges of the noses to close the gap with the top of the bufferbeams and make the noses look less squat, and finished it as 210 'Empress of Britain' in early 1970s condition as per a photo in OPC's 'Diesels Nationwide' showing it passing Polmadie depot. Here's my early '80s photo on a hastily assembled photo-plank in my mother's back garden!

20240707_153800.jpg.d5955a9f871753204c412bde3e55ca33.jpg

The model didn't look too bad from the side (rather like Heljan's first 47......)

I did this to run with some Scottish diesels I'd put together back then, but to date this has been the only Class 40 model I've ever owned. For the WR-located me they had two issues - they were the only Type 4 I didn't get to see very often (nevertheless I managed to see one at St Pancras in 1974) and they were the antithesis of my preference for small diesels!  However the Class 40 is the only Type 4 not now represented in my collection (ignoring Classes 44 & 48) so I contemplated how I could excuse one at reasonable cost, and the only excuse I could come up with was D200/40122 which visited Penzance on a rail tour on 9/11/85, just within my Cornish late 80s modelling period! A Hornby Railroad 40 would be sufficient, and I note that the current departmental blue release is part-way there with white wheelrims, so who knows, maybe next time they'll go the whole way and do 40122. And if they do I have an idle pair of Craftsman windscreen etches looking for a purpose.......

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Halvarras said:

I bought the Joueff Class 40 when it appeared, extended the lower edges of the noses to close the gap with the top of the bufferbeams and make the noses look less squat, and finished it as 210 'Empress of Britain' in early 1970s condition as per a photo in OPC's 'Diesels Nationwide' showing it passing Polmadie depot. Here's my early '80s photo on a hastily assembled photo-plank in my mother's back garden!

20240707_153800.jpg.d5955a9f871753204c412bde3e55ca33.jpg

The model didn't look too bad from the side (rather like Heljan's first 47......)

I did this to run with some Scottish diesels I'd put together back then, but to date this has been the only Class 40 model I've ever owned. For the WR-located me they had two issues - they were the only Type 4 I didn't get to see very often (nevertheless I managed to see one at St Pancras in 1974) and they were the antithesis of my preference for small diesels!  However the Class 40 is the only Type 4 not now represented in my collection (ignoring Classes 44 & 48) so I contemplated how I could excuse one at reasonable cost, and the only excuse I could come up with was D200/40122 which visited Penzance on a rail tour on 9/11/85, just within my Cornish late 80s modelling period! A Hornby Railroad 40 would be sufficient, and I note that the current departmental blue release is part-way there with white wheelrims, so who knows, maybe next time they'll go the whole way and do 40122. And if they do I have an idle pair of Craftsman windscreen etches looking for a purpose.......

I had one like that as D200/40122, with the engine room windows fixed on the side that was wrong. I also had a model with Hornby Class 37 cabs and Joueff bodysides, and a third one with Hornby 37 cabs and scratchbuilt body and bogies (plasticard sides and springs moulded in car body filler using moulds made from a Mainline 45) sadly long gone. Some adventurous modeller at the time cut the Joueff 40 body lengthways in 2 places and the result looked bob on!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 97406 said:

I had one like that as D200/40122, with the engine room windows fixed on the side that was wrong. I also had a model with Hornby Class 37 cabs and Joueff bodysides, and a third one with Hornby 37 cabs and scratchbuilt body and bogies (plasticard sides and springs moulded in car body filler using moulds made from a Mainline 45) sadly long gone. Some adventurous modeller at the time cut the Joueff 40 body lengthways in 2 places and the result looked bob on!

Blimey, I feel inadequate now 😁! I'd forgotten about that engine room window error but wasn't aware of it at the time - ignorance saved me some work then!

I wonder if that was the same guy that cut up a Lima HO Class 33 and reassembled it to OO with a myriad plasticard infill pieces........only for Lima to take the wind out of his sails shortly after?!

I have a Hornby Class 06 I've sliced lengthwise and removed 5mm from the overall width (including the cast chassis frame) and mounted it on a rewheeled and regeared Tri-ang Nellie chassis (it's somewhere on the 'Jintystein' thread but the pics have probably gone AWOL). The combined weight of the frame and the chassis have made it surprising heavy, no extra lead required! I did it years ago, never got around to painting it for various reasons but it's currently on my work bench with a lot of other things long requiring painting now that summer is here. Sort of. A new Halfords primer at the ready and my long-idle compressor still works, yay!! Nothing to do with Class 40s though, so 🤐!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Halvarras said:

I wonder if that was the same guy that cut up a Lima HO Class 33 and reassembled it to OO with a myriad plasticard infill pieces........only for Lima to take the wind out of his sails shortly after?!

There was someone who chopped up a Lima Class 50 to make an HO version. It looked a little cobbled together if I recall, though!

7 hours ago, 97406 said:

There was someone who chopped up a Lima Class 50 to make an HO version. It looked a little cobbled together if I recall, though!

At least the bogies would've been OK 😃!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

21 hours ago, 97406 said:

13 hours ago, Halvarras said:

At least the bogies would've been OK 😃!

I think that was precisely the reason they did it!! 😁👍

• Funny 2

19 hours ago, atom3624 said:

I had a Jouef 40 when they came out.

I remember it was a good runner but the pony - either end - was often derailing - springing had to be 'adjusted' to stop this.

Al. 

Not to mention that the flanges on the wheels were like bacon slicers !

• Agree 1

My Jouef Class 40 ran for a while, but then became unreliable. The worm on the shaft was an interference fit made of some kind of plastic (someone suggested it was a kind of nylon). It would slip, and nothing I could think of would make it grip firmly. Eventually sold as part of a job lot.

On 03/07/2024 at 12:35, HExpressD said:

Does KR have any pre-production samples or intend to show any latest samples, anything?...perhaps elsewhere on social media and not here?

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, classy52 said:

Does KR have any pre-production samples or intend to show any latest samples, anything?...perhaps elsewhere on social media and not here?

Sounds a bit early for that if it was only in tooling 'in the spring'.  Then there'd need to be an EP - which they might show - before they get anywhere near pre-production samples.

• Like 1