Hornby Collectors' Club Exclusive - BR Princess Coronation 4-6-2 ‘Coronation’ No. 46220

AY Mod

5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

It looks like it might have a set of plates in the bag. Has got the flanged wheels if anyone is wondering.

The detail bag does contain  some plates:

• 2 nameplates for the boiler sides with crowns above but still a red background (as model comes without the crowns above the name)
  • A crown headboard
  • A 'Royal Scot' headboard 

22 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Has got the flanged wheels if anyone is wondering.

Jason

Interesting. I was told by Hornby some time ago that flanged wheels would be supplied with all appropriate models in future; it’s good to see it being done. Unless the tooling has been changed, minor surgery will be required to clear the flanges and allow the wheels to turn.

• RMweb Gold
On 23/05/2023 at 18:24, Bulleidboy100 said:

Did 46220 have red nameplates?? There is a very good painting showing the loco in blue livery (1950-52)  pulling the Royal Scot and the plates are most definitely black. A replica nameplate that was displayed at the NRM for some years was also black. I was told Scottish shedded Coronations had red plates?

According to the RCTS book by John Jennison  ‘ ….. when the standard blue livery was introduced in 1949 the nameplates also had black backgrounds, but an official document from 1950 decreed they would henceforth have red backgrounds. Those observed with red plates were 46220-3/5/37/9/54. 46225 still had red plates as late as mid 1954’. 

Edited by MikeParkin65
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have just unboxed mine to test and run it in

There has been a very small (but potentially significant) change to the design of the Front Bogie Mount.

The previous (recent tool) Hornby Duchess/Coronations I own, would (out of the box) derail on a Hornby Express Point at anything more than about 1/3rd speed and a small adjustment (bending the mount arm down just a fraction and adding a small washer to the spring) would always resolve the issue 

This new one did not derail and when I compared the mount of the front bogie between locos , I noticed that the arm that is screwed to the chassis block (which the bogie is attached to) now includes a stiffening ridge, making it more rigid. This appears to have fixed the issue with the bogie derailing and I have not had to make any adjustments

Edited by 5Dublo2
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, 5Dublo2 said:

The previous (recent tool) Hornby Duchess/Coronations I own, would (out of the box) derail on a Hornby Express Point at anything more than about 1/3rd speed and a small adjustment (bending the mount arm down just a fraction and adding a small washer to the spring) would always resolve the issue 

This new one did not derail and when I compared the mount of the front bogie between locos , I noticed that the arm that is screwed to the chassis block (which the bogie is attached to) now includes a stiffening ridge, making it more rigid. This appears to have fixed the issue with the bogie derailing and I have not had to make any adjustments

Strange, when I raised this with Hornby a while after release I was told it wasn't an issue and they hadn't had any other instances/returns. 😎

31 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Strange, when I raised this with Hornby a while after release I was told it wasn't an issue and they hadn't had any other instances/returns. 😎

I have 5 Hornby Duchess/Coronations:

- Duchess of Atholl, Duchess of Montrose and Duchess of Hamilton all derailed their front bogie on the frog of my Express Points when entering from the toe end of the point (with the points set to the curve) - these are the only locos in my collection that did this so I really can't blame the points or how they are laid. The locos are all the same tooling (excepting Hamilton is streamlined) and all were fixed using the same method

- Duchess of Sutherland does not derail - but is the earlier tooling (the one with electrical contacts across the drawbar)

- Coronation does not derail - but has the stiffened bogie mount

Edited by 5Dublo2
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

According to the RCTS book by John Jennison  ‘ ….. when the standard blue livery was introduced in 1949 the nameplates also had black backgrounds, but an official document from 1950 decreed they would henceforth have red backgrounds. Those observed with red plates were 46220-3/5/37/9/54. 46225 still had red plates as late as mid 1954’. 

Having a happy wiring day interspersed with book flicking session and have found a colour photo of 46225 with a red nameplate dated 30th May 1954 on p89 of TE Williams The Lost Colour Collection volume 4.  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/05/2023 at 09:13, Bulleidboy100 said:

The item I read said that the black replica nameplate displayed at the NRM was made of wood!

Why, on the rather ornate red plate displayed in a previous post say "5000th engine built at the Locomotive Works Crewe - June 1911"? 46220 was build in 1937.

Did you miss the description?

LNWR George V 5000 Coronation's plates were definitely red.

• Agree 2

A technical point on this loco. I received mine the other day and couldn't understand why it kept derailing because of the front bogie. Now I know my track in certain places has issues but all my other Duchess locos handle it quite well. Anyway to cut a long story short, on that model the screw that holds the front bogie on has a shorter shoulder they must have changed it from previous models. I replaced it with one that had a longer shoulder and all now works well. So a thing to check if you have the same issue.

• Informative/Useful 3