Heljan OO Newton Chambers Car Transporter

AY Mod

17 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Excellent coaches, but is that really such a bargain ?  It's more than I paid a competitor in October. 

7 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Excellent coaches, but is that really such a bargain ?  It's more than I paid a competitor in October. 

You're not suggesting that a retailer might be listing something as a bargain that actually isn't? Shame on you...

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Bought two maroon ones for £42.70 each from the Heljan Stand at Model Rail Scotland.  Very pleased with that price, other dealers were asking considerably  more.

Jim

Yes a very good price. I bought a 3 car set for £150 in the grand Hattons closing down sale and thought I'd done well with that.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Yes a very good price. I bought a 3 car set for £150 in the grand Hattons closing down sale and thought I'd done well with that.

On the stand they had the factory weathered 3 car sets at £150, unweathered £130.  Unfortunately they only had blue and grey sets left unweathered.

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

On the stand they had the factory weathered 3 car sets at £150, unweathered £130.  Unfortunately they only had blue and grey sets left unweathered.

The Heljan stand? I was looking around various stands at the show for these on sale and only saw a few maroon ones but no blue-grey. Maybe suggests they’ve sold well? 

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
On 27/06/2023 at 15:34, cctransuk said:

It has been suggested, either here or in the parallel Efe NC wagon thread, that the Southern Pride kit for the Newton Chambers wagon is over-height.

So, having just acquired a couple of these kits, I digitally assembled the components over a 4mm. scale drawing and, sure enough, the etch for the well section is 4mm. too deep.

Below is the digitally assembled kit AFTER I had removed 4mm. from the sides of the well etch component; it will be seen that the kit produces a very accurate model after this modification has been made.

John Isherwood.

DRAWING4mm.SCALE.JPG.fbe0c14710c0bc83ae0622e14acb6c98.JPG

I am now at the painting stage of this Southern Pride kitbuild, and can report a couple more pitfalls to avoid.

The visible solebars above the bogies are too deep, and are intended to be built up from a fold-up web off the floor etch to which a supplied brass angle is soldered to form the lower flange.

Break off the fold-up webs and discard them, and solder 2 x 2mm. brass angle beneath the floor, to give the impression of a channel section.

The plastic bogie pivot bosses are also too deep - discard them and substitute an 8BA washer and nut on the supplied 8BA pivot screws. A couple of 2 x 2mm. plasticard sections glued beneath the floor, either side of the bogie pivot screw at one end, will eliminate any tendency for the body to rock. Running is excellent, and I managed to fit NEM pockets to the bogies by cutting and bending one of the brass bogie end bars.

I don't know how SP came to introduce these design errors but, if built as intended, the finished models would tower way above all other stock. Built as described above, they run with buffers and rooves exactly matching Mk.1 stock.

Photos to come after painting and lettering.

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 31/03/2024 at 12:41, cctransuk said:

I am now at the painting stage of this Southern Pride kitbuild, and can report a couple more pitfalls to avoid.

The visible solebars above the bogies are too deep, and are intended to be built up from a fold-up web off the floor etch to which a supplied brass angle is soldered to form the lower flange.

Break off the fold-up webs and discard them, and solder 2 x 2mm. brass angle beneath the floor, to give the impression of a channel section.

The plastic bogie pivot bosses are also too deep - discard them and substitute an 8BA washer and nut on the supplied 8BA pivot screws. A couple of 2 x 2mm. plasticard sections glued beneath the floor, either side of the bogie pivot screw at one end, will eliminate any tendency for the body to rock. Running is excellent, and I managed to fit NEM pockets to the bogies by cutting and bending one of the brass bogie end bars.

I don't know how SP came to introduce these design errors but, if built as intended, the finished models would tower way above all other stock. Built as described above, they run with buffers and rooves exactly matching Mk.1 stock.

Photos to come after painting and lettering.

CJI.

Now completed and running on the layout.

20240419_160849.jpg.464db5d768d8152675513c5884134101.jpg

20240419_160931.jpg.759c999bfee06d5fd128cf1ffad7ce8a.jpg

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1