Class 50, By Accurascale

• RMweb Gold

A point on price - a couple of weeks back we went out with friends for lunch at a local pub.  Three of the party had glasses of alcohol, various while I had bottled water; three of us had three courses, my wife only had two courses plus a cup of coffee.  The total bill - for a pub lunch, a very good one as it happens - was a fiver less than the price of the 'cooking' version of the Accurascale 50 (but we did split the lunch bill in half).

So there you are - it all comes down to how you want to spend whatever disposable income you happen to have.  And judging by the number of people having lunch in the pub that day there are folk about with disposable income although I appreciate that not everybody is in that position.  And in that vein judging by something I heard recently about demand in the retail trade for a particular model I wouldn't be surprised if Class 50 orders tend to be greater in number for the higher priced 'full fat' versions rather than for the 'cooking' versions (although livery etc will also affect relative demand).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

A point on price - a couple of weeks back we went out with friends for lunch at a local pub.  Three of the party had glasses of alcohol, various while I had bottled water; three of us had three courses, my wife only had two courses plus a cup of coffee.  The total bill - for a pub lunch, a very good one as it happens - was a fiver less than the price of the 'cooking' version of the Accurascale 50 (but we did split the lunch bill in half).

So there you are - it all comes down to how you want to spend whatever disposable income you happen to have.  And judging by the number of people having lunch in the pub that day there are folk about with disposable income although I appreciate that not everybody is in that position.  And in that vein judging by something I heard recently about demand in the retail trade for a particular model I wouldn't be surprised if Class 50 orders tend to be greater in number for the higher priced 'full fat' versions rather than for the 'cooking' versions (although livery etc will also affect relative demand).

50’s always tend to hold a higher price point.

looking at my Kernow purchase history…

In April 2017 I paid £169 for 50026+3 NSE mk2’s in a bundle offer.

by January 2018 I paid £169 for 50007 / 50010

By January 2021 this was £179 for 50007/49

Way back in the 1990’s Lima 50’s sold by the container load, and barely featured in the £19.99 sales, indeed 50008 Thunderer as a Limited Edition was trading at over £125 within days of release… Many 50’s were selling upwards of £50, despite HO bogies and sand fillers on refurb ones !

Tricky choice tooling a 50… whilst its my favourite class.. its the one fleet I've made sure I had it all… Not only is selling to trade up a cost thing, its an emotional one.. a lot of memories related to buying some of those models.. 041 Bulwark in NSE in a set.. I paid £16.50 for a Lima 50007 back in 1986.. one of my first solo purchases.

Whilst reaching for the celeb 1990 paint for the likes of 007/8/15/33/49/50 is tempting … you have to really be in your late 40’s to have ever seen it… and chances are like me, you've got it covered….  

Focussing on preservation history probably makes more sense, class 50’s only worked 25 years on BR, imo at least 15 years too short and maybe a vehicle for RES.. given what happened to Royal Mail, may have been better than investing in 67’s.

As it turns out, Class 50’s are now in preservation longer than they were on BR.

with some randoms regular liveries from the 1980’s.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

This is another fantastic announcement, and one that I and many others thought was coming. 

With only six models announced so far I can see a few more been added to the first batch. I think a Revised NSE 50 will appear, a GWR Green 50007, 50050 in its current condition as owned by Neil Boden and hired to Colas and GBRf 50007 & 50049. 

I would personally like both of the GBRf 50s because I didn’t buy the Hornby versions that were released in 2020 because of there many errors and faults and I suspected that this announcement was coming, so I’m hoping that being patient will pay off. 

I just hope that if the GBRf 50s are announced as exclusives to Accurascale or a retailer that they are both produced in large quantities so that no one misses out because I feel that with the GBRf livery looking so smart, only two 50s wearing the livery and the wide variety of trains the pair have worked in reality since they were repainted in early 2019, they will be really popular. 

Congratulations Accurascale, keep up the excellent work. 

I am sure that this announcement will have pleased many people. 

When is the first batch due to arrive? Rails are stating Q4 2023 on there website but I didn’t see an estimated delivery date in the opening post of this thread, so I thought I should check to make sure. 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PieGuyRob said:

Damn. A fortnight ago I bought a Hornby 50007 second hand. Serves me right for not being patient. No doubt if I buy 60086 in GWR lined green second hand Accurascale will then announce the class 60. (Pretty, pretty, please!)

60081 was the GWR 60. 

• RMweb Premium

I’ll just leave these images from

a google search here for Accurascale. Zoomed out versions to not “hide” ownership as some think I was doing. Just like to point out that many people in this site do the same thing! 

5BD2145C-1463-4B72-9753-187969BC4192.jpeg

2CC9E106-1D4A-471E-B41F-5CFEF47A597F.jpeg

Edited by Hilux5972
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

57 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

60081 was the GWR 60. 

My mistake. 20190616_161601.jpg.14285e7b0295d0ed55ab6b23f3124a9e.jpg

54 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

a google search here for Accurascale. 

9134713E-6352-442E-B6C7-01CA50E5C28A.jpeg

2C5A56A9-CA06-4A33-971D-1665367E1E4D.jpeg

50031 in intercity livery as well. I can't wait for these to be announced by Accurascale!

I saw 50017 go through Warrington Bank Quay in that livery, heading north at speed, in the late '90's. Awesome!

50031 is my own photograph taken at I think Bewdley, on the Seven Valley Railway on a Sunday in June 2019, after I went to an ICRS open day at Long Marston. The day before on the Saturday. If I remember correctly, 50031 was on a diesel driver experience, and, all operational trains were worked by steam locomotives.

Edited by PieGuyRob
Nostalgia, and, seeing the lack of copyright for the pictures of 50017, in the best livery it has been painted in, see below.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

9134713E-6352-442E-B6C7-01CA50E5C28A.jpeg

2C5A56A9-CA06-4A33-971D-1665367E1E4D.jpeg

Would have been better to link the photos rather than just copy them without credit, especially as you have cropped one to remove the photographer’s twitter name (@jpegjuice where copyright is claimed).

Just because we like railway modelling doesn’t mean we can just copy photos without permission. 

Roy

• Agree 5

If Accurascale Fran and Mcc are watching this thread then the class 50's I'm interested in are:-

50015 in civil engineers dutch livery

50031 in Intercity livery. 

50135 In Load Haul livery?

D444 in two tone green

50149 in Railfreight General triple 

Also would you consider a one off commission for a what if livery? I think the class 50 would look good in RES livery. In their BR blue days they wotked west country to London parcel/mail trains. So I'm thinking 50018 Resolution in RES. Would that be something you would consider? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PieGuyRob said:

If Accurascale Fran and Mcc are watching this thread then the class 50's I'm interested in are:-

50015 in civil engineers dutch livery

50031 in Intercity livery. 

50135 In Load Haul livery?

D444 in two tone green

50149 in Railfreight General triple 

Also would you consider a one off commission for a what if livery? I think the class 50 would look good in RES livery. In their BR blue days they wotked west country to London parcel/mail trains. So I'm thinking 50018 Resolution in RES. Would that be something you would consider? 

I’d imagine they would if you are paying for the production run , otherwise it’s an expensive flight of fancy that may gather dust on the shelves 

Edited by rob D2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, stovepipe said:

50006 was LLB by Feb 1984. So the range for this model is from late 1979 to then.

By and large I think the MUs were fitted en-masse over the winter of 1969 leading up to the spring 1970 ready for the timetable change. In many cases the D prefix was dropped at the same time.

Yes but the question is how long it ran with the headlight blanked off in the form Accurascale are issuing it.

Mark

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Mark said:

Yes but the question is how long it ran with the headlight blanked off in the form Accurascale are issuing it.

Mark

I’ve never seen a photo of a class 50 with a blanked off headlight, I assumed the one in the cad pics was 50008 in its current guise but a google check shows it still has its headlight (as well as the oddball red/white markers) 

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Ignoring other issues, it is always better to link directly to the pictures @Hilux5972 as it gives context to the date, place and any caption information that the photo may have accompanying it, which makes it a more useful exercise, both for us and for other members.

Best wishes,

Paul

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, big jim said:

I’ve never seen a photo of a class 50 with a blanked off headlight, I assumed the one in the cad pics was 50008 in its current guise but a google check shows it still has its headlight (as well as the oddball red/white markers) 

I think only 50006 was so treated. As the picture below was taken in 1980 I assume it was in this condition for a couple of years.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/invader1009/15853303243/in/photolist-qF6VK8-SSDnpb-YJNGhc-qtF3MY-28r7Abf-2gjXfYi-2jBZbK8-2aCTYCE-PwKGMs-q9UjJx-2hRnZGh-qLy6US-2aCTX4h-9JmZwj-2cbYkDB-2gUnMpw-qQw8uA-23qUqmF-2iMcLPq-RnVbcg-ddf8S6-x3TarB-xL7oY5-G86eZJ-oUazmR-dd5g43-8SNXoP-24wPYGt-6abW23-6abWRu-LR5CoW-sizKwp-23pMYxp-aPGvWD-2aoAkaH-kdg7xv-2cVj1U3-2gtCvF2-2hS2Rdi-23pPASM-2mXkpgr-6FMVyF-DqFbSF-2aUsyFA-kdgab6-MjHVBQ-rBChzk-2jkPkLU-2cVhoem-RThwaC

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the image of 50006 earlier in the thread, reminded me about the cab handrail at the number 2 end, I think. It's in a different position to all the rest, and only at that end. The handrail is nearer to the centre of the loco than it should be.

• Agree 1

• Accurascale staff
1 minute ago, scumcat said:

I honestly don’t get why modellers wish to pit manufacturers against each other like this. Duplication is a bad thing. Accurascale or cavalex etc vs Hornby can only end badly for the hobby in general.

We're all for competition and improvement, but head to head competition actually hurts both companies. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

a google search here for Accurascale. Zoomed out versions to not “hide” ownership as some think I was doing. Just like to point out that many people in this site do the same thing! 

5BD2145C-1463-4B72-9753-187969BC4192.jpeg

2CC9E106-1D4A-471E-B41F-5CFEF47A597F.jpeg

Whenever you think a purple Deltic is the worst, something else comes along that you need a bigger sick bag for.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mark said:

Mark

Until about Nov/Dec 1980 it seems, so 12 months since overhaul.

The were others with blanked off headlight for a period too.

40 minutes ago, McC said:

We're all for competition and improvement, but head to head competition actually hurts both companies. 

From a sales point of view i guess,but surely things like your entry has galvanised the big manufacturers to get off their butts and improve their products to try and stay in the fight .

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

AIUI Class 50’s were considered for Parcel Sector but the run down of the class had gone too far and there was resistance / desire to see the 50’s gone before privatisation.

The waste is that the 50’s really were only mid-life, and werent far off mid life overhauls either… they should have been easily capable of running through to 2005-2010. That so many are preserved and in working order is testament to that.. 31’s by comparison are struggling in preservation due to age / condition due to the lack of that mid-life overhaul.

(A bit like today where EMUs are being prematurely scrapped, so in a few years new build is justified as theres no alternative - A govt cultural thing, you have to get rid quick, as its the only way your going to get funds later).

But A fleet of 50’s for Mail work might have been very useful, and the need to buy 67’s mitigated… as it turned out those 67’s have been a largely wasted asset.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

AIUI Class 50’s were considered for Parcel Sector but the run down of the class had gone too far and there was resistance / desire to see the 50’s gone before privatisation.

The waste is that the 50’s really were only mid-life, and werent far off mid life overhauls either… they should have been easily capable of running through to 2005-2010.

(A bit like today where EMUs are being prematurely scrapped, so in a few years new build is justified as theres no alternative - A govt cultural thing, you have to get rid quick, as its the only way your going to get funds later).

But A fleet of 50’s for Mail work might have been very useful, and the need to buy 67’s mitigated… as it turned out those 67’s have been a largely wasted asset.

Only useful if you didn’t want your parcel on time ! They binned the 31s as soon as they could as well ,

Even with the refurbishment their reliability was shocking  thus why the old RFD 47/4s took over much of their Paddington and Waterloo work as soon as possible.

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1