Class 50, By Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Covkid said:

I prefer the 1 Co Co 1 variety of EE type 4. Not so powerful but an orchestra of sounds including the shaft driven cooling fan.

I grew up with the 40s and didn’t see 50s running until the mid-late 80s. My first impression of the 50s was they sounded similar, but the turbos weren’t half as impressive. I do love the 50s, but the 40s are next level for sound effects, character and presence.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

I don't need a 50...

My BR(GE) branch doesn't justify one...

Can't remember seeing one anywhere near here...

It's set in the early to mid 60s...

But then I didn't need a Finsbury Park racehorse, but one seems to have turned up 🤔

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

I think the GBRF pair would be popular, especially if sold as a pair, in a presentation box. Clearly explained that both are powered, on order forms, advertising and dealer sites. But the real bit that would set Accurascale apart would be to actually deliver them finally to customers, with both being powered too. 😆

Please let us have English Electric riders, as Accurablokes in the cab crews for the original West Coast versions.

I note that the Class 50 has similar bogies to the Deltic, but also has a similar wheelbase to the prototype Deltic, DP1. Just thought I'd mention it. 

Additional 6 (powered) axle locos in the same vein would need to include the LMS twins (class 34), class 40 and the class 56, all having versions of the same basic engine as the class 50, as developed along the way. I'm sure you'll get round to it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, 97406 said:

I grew up with the 40s and didn’t see 50s running until the mid-late 80s. My first impression of the 50s was they sounded similar, but the turbos weren’t half as impressive. I do love the 50s, but the 40s are next level for sound effects, character and presence.

I grew up around 40’s discovered 50’s as a teenager, graduated around 37’s and spent my adultlife on a diet of 66’s.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

NEW ANNOUNCEMENT - We Surprise Nobody With A Nifty Class 50

Cheers!

Fran 

A Nifty 50?

A model of a bus, I didn't see that coming:

6235638712_2ac3518b15.jpg

😄

The one with 12 wheels is nicer👍🏻

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Out of curiosity, on the real locos (Class 37/50/55) the bogie design is common (CP3 and re-geared CP7?). So is this the case with the models?

As an aside, I never have understood why model manufacturers don’t capitalise on this fact and do a really good job of modelling the bogie once, than several attempts of varying quality.

Edited by richierich
Expansion of my thoughts.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I grew up around 40’s discovered 50’s as a teenager, graduated around 37’s and spent my adultlife on a diet of 66’s.

They need to disconnect the silencers on the 66s then they sound quite rateable (as he drifts hopelessly off topic, sorry!)

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I've ordered 50008 through Rails, but I'm actually undecided on which of the class is my favourite. I already have GBRF 50007 (which will be getting the eBay treatment if Accurascale announce it next year), but I am heavily tempted by post refurb Rodney. What are the differences between the Accurascale model and 50021 as preserved please? 

Cheers,

Edited by 60800

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Delighted to finally get this one out there with 3 years of work gone on in the background. As for liveries, there will be more including our Accurascale Exclusives announced in the new year.

Cheers!

Fran 

Looks very promising from the images so far. I suspect these exclusives will be some of the more esoteric liveries, rather than core versions, in which case I'll be waiting for the second run in the hope of a standard BR blue version as on the WR before refurbishment, when I started my 50 bashing. I stopped the day the first was painted into NSE - uurgh.

Edited by brushman47544

16 minutes ago, 97406 said:

They need to disconnect the silencers on the 66s then they sound quite rateable (as he drifts hopelessly off topic, sorry!)

Sounds like a transit van mixed with a washing machine

Hopefully they cap off the run of English electrics with a 40 next year.

Great news about the 50s though, plenty of liveries to choose over quite a wide time period.

Edited by e30ftw
  • Agree 1

Good to see such clamour for these, another class for which there appears to be insatiable and unrelenting demand.  Looks like another clean plate for the Accurascale crew. 

Will I be replacing the 10% of the '68 (nearly ex-works) condition fleet that I already have at hand: No, personally I don't believe it can be justified.  This is the position several of us are doubtless in after decades in the hobby upgrading and constantly finessing our loco rosters, and now with disposable income totally shot it's a no-brainer. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian J. said:

Nice to see these, but...

...it looks like the LL variants have the orange cantrail stripe. Could really do with versions without it, so will be holding off ordering until that variant is done.

Same here, both represent the post-1985 era so I will await the further announcements with interest. 

Roy

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AussieEE said:

Is there any difference between your model of 50017 'Royal Oak'  in BR condition and her current condition as a preserved loco on the GCR? 

I know in the 80s 50017 had the NSE logo on the headcode box (not sure if this was on one or both ends) but I don’t know if there are any other differences on the preserved version.

Well gents, congratulations on yet another sure fire winner! 

Not sure on which numbers, and never noticed until it was pointed out in a photo - a few had lower lights in the headcode box. 

Suppose I may have to have 'one'.... 

So glad I resisted the temptation of the GBRf pair the other year.....  The real dilemma on those two is which numbers to do, with them having occasions with other identities. Would prefer 007/049.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I just don’t ‘get’ class 50s, they sound like they are about to fall apart at any minute, it may be that I don’t really remember them that much, mainly saw them around new st and I only ever had 50024 for haulage in BR days between reading and paddington and back

I was on crewe station when 50011 came in from Cardiff on it’s final run en route to crewe works to be withdrawn and turned into a load bank, one childhood memory that will stick with me that one, can clearly see ‘the strange headlight’ appearing from the gloom and the excitement of realising it was a class 50 

Work wise I’ve had a pair on the sinfin tanks when my 56 failed at scropton and I was rescued by 37688 before neil boden came to derby with 50017 and 50007 which we took down the sinfin branch!

50017 and 50007 in derby on 6M65 Sinfin tanks

50017 and 50007 in Sinfin Central station!!

Also conducted the gbrf pair over the S+C, stopping on Ribblehead for a photo! 

50007 and 50049 on Ribblehead viaduct

Although I don’t understand the appeal I’ll defiantly be ordering 50008 in Hanson and hall livery, funnily enough I was considering ordering the Heljan Ltd ‘rail adventure’ cargowagon barriers this morning from TMC, I can justify them now! 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Damn you Accurascale - I thought I was safe and then you include 50008 which I didn't realise I needed until about 12.20 today!

If I was a gambling man I'd say there's a reasonable chance of the pair of GBRf 50's being released as some sort of exclusive twin pack. And they will probably be in the correct shade of blue too.....

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I’ve never been so excited ( model wise )…and then deflated.

The glory years of these to most were the early -mid 80s in the attractive large logo scheme , however the most numerous example ( grey roof ) has the orange cantrail which puts it 1987(?) onwards , similarly the black roof ones are late 80s ( and these hung around at kernow for ages in their Hornby version ).

Please god tell me I can scrape off the cantrail with a finger nail ….

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Must admit even though these are western region locos warspite is tempting to renumber to 50049. I'm sure it's not as easy and change the number as there will be some differences between them no doubt. wonder what the bookies odd would be on a flood of 50s coming in a certain somebody's 2023 announcements now...

The cad renders are stunning and im sure at least one will find its way into the collection at some point! 

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Mooresby said:

I'd say there's a reasonable chance of the pair of GBRf 50's being released as some sort of exclusive twin pack. And they will probably be in the correct shade of blue too.....

50049 on its own would be nice to go with their deltic! (I moved it from crewe to barrow hill after the LSL open day in 2019) 

19A34B1E-D902-45BE-87B9-26DD868503E0.jpeg.0088d7cb763c78f3e938ce4d3d260c51.jpeg

although I’ve got the Hornby one I’d forgotten about the wrong shade of blue issue, I’d definitely be up for an accurascale one done right 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps one day Accurascale will really surprise us and produce a model of a loco that nobody has done before? AFAIK they are the only manufacturer (apart from Cavalex, with only one loco so far) whose every model duplicates something previously done.

There are clearly a large number of extremely wealthy people on this list to whom the phrase "cost of living crisis" doesn’t have any relevance. Some years ago one of the proprietors of Rolling Stock told me that the (then) new Bachmann class 03 hasn't sold very well, because people thought the previous one (from 1980s tooling, remember) was good enough, but that the 2EPBs had done much better. Now the North-East isn't the wealthiest part of the country, but times were much better then than now…

I'm following the Ian Futers approach nowadays by only buying locos that fit my interests, so the only diesel locos in OO I'm likely to buy are those which would fit on a branch line in the Highlands. But I'm not interested in the 37 either, as the Bachmann ones I have will do for me. Not the current version, the previous one.

• Agree 9