Class 50, By Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, MJI said:

50s sound better

The Napier turbos on the 40 put it ahead of the 50 IMHO. I do notice the lack of them on the 50. Plus the 50s struggle less due being less horrendously overweight than the 40 so less thrash.

Edit to add, Does anybody know what the turbos fitted to the 50 are? My Google fingers aren’t working, it seems.

Edited by 97406
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, MJI said:

50s sound better

19 minutes ago, 97406 said:

The Napier turbos on the 40 put it ahead of the 50 IMHO. I do notice the lack of them on the 50. Plus the 50s struggle less due being less horrendously overweight than the 40 so less thrash.

Edit to add, Does anybody know what the turbos fitted to the 50 are? My Google fingers aren’t working, it seems.

A class 40 on a heavy loaded Freightliner about to attack the bank to Reddish could be heard from Chorlton approaching Fallowfield, plenty of time to get to the bedroom window to watch it pass by.  Also until they did the inevitable welded track it was also accompanied by the sounds of 16 wheels on jointed track - bliss.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, woodenhead said:

A class 40 on a heavy loaded Freightliner could be heard from Chorlton approaching Fallowfield, plenty of time to get to the bedroom window to watch it pass by.  Also until they did the inevitable welded track it was also accompanied by the sounds of 16 wheels on jointed track - bliss.

I had this 1/4 mile away from my house, and a friend lived in the house to the right of the signal. I had another mate who lived on the other side of Moss Lane bridge where there was a passing loop.

Skelton Junction - Timperley

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

50s on heavy sleepers  exiting Plymouth, best 4 stroke Diesel i have heard.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

You'd been used to the drone of Hydraulics rather than nursed on class 40s. 😀

Not really, remember 37s when young, the noise on freight, not so much hydraulics, not really old enough.

But a 50 on a heavy load, you hear the engine more than the turbos.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I was lucky enough to hear doubled headed 50s through Warrington now that was a sound, also the 40s through there, was one of my favourite places, but STJ still was my number one spot 👍

Edited by younGGuns7
Spelling
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

You've all been badly brought up.

i’ll raise you..

A 25 chucking its guts up climbing Miles Platting.

Looks like a rat, smells like a rat,  goes like a rat up a drain pipe and dies in the gutter…… 25’s natural habitat is the back streets of Manchester.

Dying on rat poison before Newton Heath, needing gronk rentokil to move its gutted corpse out of the way.

Thats a memory.

Thing I love about 08’s, they are like AA drivers, turn up, couple up, pull anything anywhere doesn't matter how big, how heavy or how bad, just tug it all out of the way at ped speed.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5
  • Funny 3

5 hours ago, 97406 said:

Birmingham was a popular place for copping Hoovers when I lived up north. They pop up round here in Notts a lot these days thanks to Boden Rail being in the area.

I remember seeing them at Olton station, on the outskirts of Birmingham heading into New Street. 7.53pm I recall. For some reason I always seemed to see Bulwark or Triumph. Sad those days have gone.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 10/05/2024 at 21:21, 50025 said:

I remember seeing them at Olton station, on the outskirts of Birmingham heading into New Street. 7.53pm I recall. For some reason I always seemed to see Bulwark or Triumph. Sad those days have gone.

New street was fun…

before the days of RTT, you never knew what was going to pop out of the tunnel.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

17 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

New street was fun…

before the days of RTT, you never knew what was going to pop out of the tunnel.

IMG_9118.jpeg.bbf643898ccb483b468950385056c9f0.jpeg

Love that photo, brings back happy memories 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

40015 on the Trafford Park to Holyhead liner with 4 flames coming out of the exhausts passing through Abergele on full power ready for the climb towards Llysfaen, best noise ever 👍

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Bucoops said:

And look better.

They look decidedly odd in banger blue. It’s a shame they just missed BR green when they were introduced. They look great in Large Logo, but then just about anything does.

Edited by 97406
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, tinsley-toton said:

40015 on the Trafford Park to Holyhead liner with 4 flames coming out of the exhausts passing through Abergele on full power ready for the climb towards Llysfaen, best noise ever 👍

Think I might of seen this myself, me and my mate had just covered The Bangor probably a Duff and a 40 passed on 4D59 while we walk along the prom towards Old Colwyn. All we could see was flames and the 40 at full Trash what a noise you could still hear it as it went though Mochdre…..

No better noise….😏

• Like 1

That's just it, with the latest motive power we have nearly twice the power, and the sheds are relatively quiet even at full bore!

Impressive but some 'character' (and disturbance / ambience) lost.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

That's just it, with the latest motive power we have nearly twice the power, and the sheds are relatively quiet even at full bore!

Al.

There'll be all sorts of legislation these days meaning new locomotives need to meet noise and emissions regulations. I just thank my lucky stars that I've been alive long enough to enjoy the earlier classes in their heyday and there's still a few around with grandfather rights today on the main line, not to mention preserved examples.

Plus there's my own little slice of the good old days in the railway room!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
On 02/05/2024 at 15:47, Gary H said:

Yes, thats the idea I'm toying with.👍

Another thought is central arrows and named. 50046 (as well as a few others) ran around in this condition for a time.

50 005 was another one . I well remember seeing it at Paignton in 1977 . As far as I know it’s a variant the neither Hornby , who seem obsessed with NSE, or Accurascale 

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Al.

Still not as good as an early 60s loco of a bit more power at rail.

Which sounds incredible.

• RMweb Premium

II lived near Goring & Streatley on the Thames Valley line up until 1992.

Even from 3 miles away from the line, I remember lying in bed at night with the window open, I could hear that 16CSVT thump at around 100mph. 

Great memories. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Definitely sound better in model form - have yet to hear a convincing Class 40 sound project.  

The latest Bachmann 40 has a very driveable sound project. It's just a shame you can't fit in a bigger bassier speaker without some major engineering.

Posted (edited)
On 11/05/2024 at 01:36, tinsley-toton said:

I agree. 

The class 40 was a mobile orchestra with the big V16 lump at the centre.  Thr most appealing noise for me was the shaft driven radiator fan deep hum. This rotated af the same Output as the crankshaft, but better still, the fan hum "wobbled" when the loco went through each of it's weak fields. Can't remember the speeds but one was about 25mph. So the loco would be on full chat with the chatter from rhe exhaust ports and the hum from the fan, when the generator unloaded causing a momentary dip before powering up again as the loco "changed gear". Unrefurb 37s and rhe 20s were similar but the weak fielding on 40s was most prominent.

Class 50s had a large electrically driven fan powered from the ETH alternator. This is because EE apparently felt the ETH generator needed to have "regular work" for it so gave it something other than occasional ETH supply to do. 

Edited by Covkid
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Covkid said:

I agree. 

The class 40 was a mobile orchestra with the big V16 lump at the centre.  Thr most appealing noise for me was the shafg driven radiator fan deep hum. This rotated af the same Output as the crankshaft, but better still, the fan hum "wobbled" when the loco went through each of it's weak fields. Can't remember the speeds but one was about 25mph. So the lock would be on full chat with the chatter from rhe exhaust ports and the hum from the fan, when the generator unloaded causing a momentary dip before powering up again as the loco "changed gear". Unrefurb 37s and rhe 20s were similar but the weak fielding on 40s was most prominent

A mate who used to live opposite me was 3 or so years older just remembered the end of steam, and as well as becoming a guard on BR, he volunteered on the Severn Valley Railway. He was very much of the opinion that a steam  loco is a living, breathing machine, but he did say that the one diesel class he felt the same about was the 40.

The 50 is descended from the 40 via DP2 and you can hear it, so I’m rather looking forward to the DCC sound ones on order with a nice bit of sub on board!

Edited by 97406
  • Like 1

On 02/05/2024 at 15:24, Gary H said:

Apologies if it's already been covered in the thread,

but has this livery variation ever been done RTR in 00 ?

I rather like it, just seems a little different from the mainstream LL, pre-tops, named etc.

COVER UP......

Despite most of them looking like this by the time naming came around, the short answer is no - not even by Lima!! 😲 

(RTR Class 47s in bog standard pre-TOPS BR blue (single logo/4 bodyside numbers, 1969-74) were similarly absent.)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1