Class 50, By Accurascale

• RMweb Premium
On 26/12/2022 at 18:13, Hilux5972 said:

50008 was painted in Crimson as well as 50017? 

18 hours ago, amwells said:

Yep, though not sure that it ever worked a train as such!

https://www.englishelectric.org.uk/50008/h47b8b626

this was, I think, in a state that it was being moved away from crimson!

Wasn’t that in the immediately post sale to Peru period, with 50008 being painted in that maroon colour during conversion and then not repainted when put back into BR configuration after the sale/transfer was cancelled?

Edited by brushman47544
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Wasn’t that in the immediately post sale to Peru period, with 50008 being painted in that maroon colour during conversion and then not repainted when put back into BR configuration after the sale/transfer was cancelled?

Yes I think you’re right - I had forgotten that Sea Containers wanted to take it to Peru

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, amwells said:

Yes I think you’re right - I had forgotten that Sea Containers wanted to take it to Peru

I recall the Peru plan, ive no idea how they thought they would be able to maintain and provide a luxury train that uses just 1 obsolete locomotive that was 30 years old, 6000 miles from its only source of knowledge and spares.

To me this was a non-starter.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 3

On 26/12/2022 at 19:57, wombatofludham said:

Funny, the "sort by popularity" puts both of the 50s I need at top and bottom rank!  "Plonker" is a must as large logo is the iconic livery for the class, but D423 hits the sweet spot of 1968 minus the jumper cables so right for my 1968 themed timetable.

The other good thing to note is DCC noise is by far the most popular which does rather put those who moan about DCC sound in their place.

I suspect the 1968-1975 era will be of growing interest in the coming years as my generation retake their kid's former bedrooms and spend their inheritance on new layouts as they retire.  

I think D423 will be the only one I have unless they produce two tone D444 as preserved.  My railway modelling period tends to end around 1974.   

Just for interest I believe there was a class 50 at the Tyseley Open day in 1968 or 1969.  

Edited by Covkid

On 26/12/2022 at 14:44, amwells said:

Given the debate about liveries on the previous pages, I have tried to put together a list of main liveries carried by loco and whether they’ve already been made in OO.

Not intended to be a guide at all to what Accurascale should make as I’d love to see some of these repeated by Accurascale! More just hopefully useful.

I also haven’t attempted to set out detail differences between the liveries, there are some great threads on here that do that already 😊

If there are any errors, please let me know and I’ll edit!

class 50 liveries and models.xlsx 11.31 kB · 84 downloads

Really good list, not checked it all thoroughly yet.  50050 Lima, was done large logo but with Peco instead of Fearless name. 

Clutching at straws..... 50035 in Early NSE Grey Primer, or perhaps a good candidate if a renumber goes wrong! 

Just a thought, would there be an easy way of colour coding it? 

I think it is probably fair that Hornbys 2022 announcement of 50042/44, whilst accurate to list could probably be disregarded as a model done.  I am sure very few on here will be purchasing them at £220+.....when they can wait a little longer for.......... 

Edited by Torbay Express
Extra comment.

18 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I recall the Peru plan, ive no idea how they thought they would be able to maintain and provide a luxury train that uses just 1 obsolete locomotive that was 30 years old, 6000 miles from its only source of knowledge and spares.

To me this was a non-starter.

Technicalities.  Just put a Hornby 50 with sound, in it powered with a battery, and push the train! 

Failing that, first 50 to become a DVT, to drive the loco attached on the back pushing... 

1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

We interrupt our mince pie scoffing to share some good news! Tooling for the Class 50 is complete and first test shots of the moulds have taken place.

212101-1.jpg.32d31374684488f39b1c0637f5730914.jpg

2120-01.jpg.2611e9efc0e174acffe5a83422b94157.jpg

2120-12.jpg.2d313d7ef65fac39411d0b087af3387e.jpg

2120-06.jpg.b7a247db25d1a699cb9efce408a035ad.jpg

We look forward to sharing a completed EP sample with you next month.

Anyway, back to the mince pies.

Cheers!

Fran 

Amazing what you find in skips at Christmas, when you know the right people......  Is it supposed to say TT?

On 26/12/2022 at 14:44, amwells said:

Given the debate about liveries on the previous pages, 

If that is regarding any of my previous comments, then I firmly believe that everyone has a right to an opinion on liveries, reliveries etc. , but also that's its important to remember that Accurascale do take content on here seriously and consider it when making decisions, and these decisions cost Accurascale a lot of money, therefore such comments need to be made with likely purchase in mind, not just to fulfil an ego. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Torbay Express said:

If that is regarding any of my previous comments, then I firmly believe that everyone has a right to an opinion on liveries, reliveries etc. , but also that's its important to remember that Accurascale do take content on here seriously and consider it when making decisions, and these decisions cost Accurascale a lot of money, therefore such comments need to be made with likely purchase in mind, not just to fulfil an ego. 

Not sure quite where your comment is coming from or going. @amwellspost seemed supportive of that discussion, yet your post seems to suggest criticism?

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Torbay Express said:

Sorry if I’ve caused offence - I was genuinely trying to be helpful. But I can also see who has agreed with your post so I must have upset more than just you! I’ll delete my post in the morning as I genuinely thought producing a little table of liveries and models was helpful to the discussion. 

If opinion on liveries is all that is wanted, can we please have a proper D400 in 1991 blue as sponsored by Rail Magazine. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, amwells said:

Sorry if I’ve caused offence - I was genuinely trying to be helpful. But I can also see who has agreed with your post so I must have upset more than just you! I’ll delete my post in the morning as I genuinely thought producing a little table of liveries and models was helpful to the discussion. 

Don’t feel you need to do that just because @Torbay Expressseems to have had a moan. I found your table of interest, as have others. It was just as relevant (or off topic) to this thread as many other livery related comments. 

And for me, large logo with no orange cantrail stripe please…

Roy

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, amwells said:

If opinion on liveries is all that is wanted, can we please have a proper D400 in 1991 blue as sponsored by Rail Magazine. 

I, for one, am extremely grateful for the table that you have produced.  I have saved this to use in the future.

In my opinion there is no need for you to delete posts.

Thankyou for the information.

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Not sure quite where your comment is coming from or going. @amwellspost seemed supportive of that discussion, yet your post seems to suggest criticism?

Roy

Hi Roy - Apologies for any confusion.  Absolutely no criticism whatsoever.  I was just making the point that ultimately comments on here are taken seriously by Accurascale, and may have an impact on the models produced, which is a huge financial cost to them, thus if someone is  suggesting something or strongly objecting to another's view, then at very least you should  be seriously looking to purchase it in those guises. Not just say it, walk away and at best, hope to collect it as an Accurascale postcard, while A/S try and move a few hundred to everyone else, that would have been a better choice as something else. 

The Classic example is 50037 - in Hornby - small and large logo (which while not to Accurascale Standards, are still fairly decent) never in NSE with West of England as per the end of its life, or as a real niche - its short lived Laira Blue. Why would you do Small or Large Logo on that, when there are other options for Illustrious, and lots of other Blue Large and Small Logo candidates that have never been done. 

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Torbay Express said:

The Classic example is 50037 - in Hornby - small and large logo (which while not to Accurascale Standards, are still fairly decent) never in NSE with West of England as per the end of its life, or as a real niche - its short lived Laira Blue. Why would you do Small or Large Logo on that, when there are other options for Illustrious, and lots of other Blue Large and Small Logo candidates that have never been done. 

I’m sure Accurascale do their research thoroughly and will choose numbers and liveries based on what they expect to be popular and so sell well. If that means a particular number is duplicated in different liveries, so be it. For many that duplication will be irrelevant because, to take your example, their interests don’t cover both early Large Logo and NSE or later.

In my case for example, my interest stopped the day NSE was launched. So whilst I would like a Large Logo 50008, it would have to be with the earlier round crest not the later diamond one. Each to their own… 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

We all have personal opinions about liveries we'd like to see done, some will be workhorse (LL no orange cantrail), some will be less commons, perhaps one offs (Edward Elgar Green). The unusual ones always seem to attract at least some attention worthy of consideration of producing them, regardless of how few were in the livery, or how short lived the livery might have been. Personally, with Class 50s, I'm only interested in LL, no orange cantrail. They might look very similar to each other, but I'd be in the market for several to compliment my small collection of Hornby ones.

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Torbay Express said:

Not just say it, walk away and at best, hope to collect it as an Accurascale postcard, while A/S try and move a few hundred to everyone else, that would have been a better choice as something else. 

thank you to those who provided supportive messages this morning.

@Torbay Express, I’m still not sure if you’ve got an issue with what I posted based on this message - if you do perhaps you could PM me. 

similarly, if @McChas an issue with it, please let me know - it is your class 50 after all, so if you want me to remove the table, please let me know. 

I only have one of the Accurascale 50s on order just now (50014), but can see me adding two more of this batch (50006 and 50021), and many more in the future - they are my favourite class of diesel!

Ironically, given the discussion I won’t be ordering two of the others because I’d like those particular locos in different liveries (50008 in Laira blue rather than H&H and 50017 in LMS crimson rather than NSE)! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

So 3 different body sides there

Original

50041 Reading

(flickr url/ not mine)

Later 1970/80’s with the body side filler holes above the bogie filled, but not the front

(Was this mod made to all 50 ?)

50027 Paddington

(flickr url not mine)

and of course refurbished

where you can see all the mods..

02/02/1980 - Doncaster Works.

(flickr url / not mine)

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, amwells said:

Nah! Keep your post! It's useful info for us all. I certainly find it of interest. 

And thankfully there isn't a disagree reaction to posts!

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, amwells said:

Don’t delete it , there’s nothing wrong with it .

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Everyone wants something different for certain….what makes me cringe is …..” what I think will sell really well…”, nah, what you really want and hope 3000 other people want….but I’m guilty of it as well ultimately .

Still there’s a job at Hornby for “ that guy” , filling bargain buckets with diesels in bizarre liveries only the most hard core of collectors will want . Bulgarian 56 anyone ?

• Agree 1