Class 50, By Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Rob,

You can actually sort by "best selling" on the website, so here it is for the 50s... 

https://www.accurascale.com/collections/class-50?sort_by=best-selling

Cheers!

Fran 

That was interesting, it mimics what several have said anecdotally for a while…

That modern image is gravitating away from DC only sales and full fat DCC sound is where the real party action is.

i didnt expect DC ready 50008 in H&H to be at the bottom of the list.

i just re-sorted it again, this time DC D423 came last, thats what I would have  guessed. 1970’s was always a dark time in the hobby.

Edited by adb968008

Well that is interesting - didn’t see you could do that .

Its interesting that some don’t like LL - to me it was very exotic , having seen 56036 ( I think)  in ex works LL in “ diesels nationwide “ running through Burton ( had no idea where that was , Watford was north to me ), I was excited to see the 50s with their easy to read numbers .

And the names ! The height of my interest as a ten year old was in 1982 - The Falklands war was in full swing and several of my class 50s were carrying a torch ….

Without these aspects , would they have been as popular ? And as for some of the other namers around , for instance the 47 “ Fair Rosamund “ which for some reason is named ( allegedly ) after a lady of ill repute 

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

i didnt expect DC ready 50008 in H&H to be at the bottom of the list.

i just re-sorted it again, this time DC D423 came last, thats what I would have  guessed. 1970’s was always a dark time in the hobby.

Wonder if that’s because most of that Era WCML are Electric layouts and the 50s were often run in pairs. I have held back getting 423 as I model WR, this was already TOPs numbered when reallocated, so for me either an earlier one or a TOPS blue is my requirement, also think that they would be a better sellers as there are quiet a number of mid 70’s WR region layouts around 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, younGGuns7 said:

Wonder if that’s because most of that Era WCML are Electric layouts and the 50s were often run in pairs. I have held back getting 423 as I model WR, this was already TOPs numbered when reallocated, so for me either an earlier one or a TOPS blue is my requirement, also think that they would be a better sellers as there are quiet a number of mid 70’s WR region layouts around 

I think it’s more because, like now it was the dead spot following the end of an era.

the railways had been heavily invested in and modernised, but as soon as steam was done the money taps were turned off

steam enthusiasts melted away, then as austerity kicked in the 1970’s was all about running down the railways, no investment and scrapping anything that needed time and money.

modern enthusiasts melted away in the energy crisis and faded as nothing new came on taps.

we are seeing similar, 2020 was the end of an era and now we are seeing scrapping on a scale never seen since, no one predicted SN 455’s going without replacement within 4 months.. and 442s from works to scrap. It’s not over yet, it’s only beginning.

The turning point was the Westerns going in 1977. I’d imagine that same turning point today would be the end of the 37’s, or even Sprinters when it inevitably comes.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, adb968008 said:

No ones mentioned the unmentionable…

50041 Bulwark

Whilst it arrived in all platforms of paddington at once, it wasnt a fatal accident and the loco was a remarkable return.

From an enthusiasts perspective 50041 was probably the point people stopped taking 50’s for granted and pondered their future.

It would be an interesting model.

I mentioned it several pages back, it has a different style small body grille on the side it landed on.

I definitely buy a large logo post crash Bulwark. 

Definitely the talk of the school playground that morning!

• Like 1

Only ones not modelled from memory..... 

50005/6/12/14/16/22/29/32/39/47 

Plus 50050, has only ever been done as D400, unless you count the Peco 50th Anniversary Model. 

The likes of 50043 was done by Lima in the very beginning, so not the greatest livery application ever....Certainly shows its age, but probably a prime Late NSE Candidate - Was preserved in it, plus small name so good renumbering potential.  About the only thing easier is Lion, but Hornby did that in a light NSE blue...... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I’d imagine LL would be top  ( old farts like me in late 40s/ early 50s with disposable income ( laugh I nearly cried )

Id imagine unrefurb blue would be lagging behind ( even older farts )

NSE - Don’t see a lot of NSE layouts , but did have a cult following ? Nice colours but I’d lost interest by then 

A call for more NSE layouts? Couldn't agree more Rob. Can't say I've suffered any ill-effects from being in this cult - apart from a strong desire to paint all lamp posts red. I shall definitely be after some NSE variants, although annoyingly 50017 is one I have already repainted / renamed / detailed from the Hornby example, so will have to wait for the next announcement.

There is something special about a 50 in LL though...

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

I think it’s more because, like now it was the dead spot following the end of an era.

I don’t disagree with anything you say, however ask anyone who spotted on Doncaster,Crewe, Chesterfield, Warrington BQ,s, 7 Jct, Reading in that era it was a truly vintage time with so much variety you had to be there to understand. NB there were loads more places I have not mentioned, these were some of my personnel favourites 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Rich Papper said:

A call for more NSE layouts? Couldn't agree more Rob. Can't say I've suffered any ill-effects from being in this cult - apart from a strong desire to paint all lamp posts red. I shall definitely be after some NSE variants, although annoyingly 50017 is one I have already repainted / renamed / detailed from the Hornby example, so will have to wait for the next announcement.

There is something special about a 50 in LL though...

Rich

One with NSE flashes on the head code box is the answer..... 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Torbay Express said:

Joolz, were really on about what's been done previously particularly by Hornby (and Lima to a lesser extent!) , as I kinda like the idea of non-duplication, unless a unique livery.  Which some companies are quite notorious for... 37012 in standard range, then same livery on a revised tooling as a limited edition within a year or so.  

LMS 50017.

NSE West of England 

Are the two other options. But there's the odd quirky thing - for example 50032 Early NSE and blue nameplates.... 

And we still need the ultimate what might have been, a 50 pretending to be 50018 in RES......

I was just compiling a list of liveries, not what has already been done.  Just because Lima did a particular livery, doesn’t mean that Accurascale can’t do it, and we know it will be a far superior product, but if you want to pay Lima prices, buy a Lima loco.

• Agree 5

23 hours ago, Torbay Express said:

Only ones not modelled from memory..... 

50005/6/12/14/16/22/29/32/39/47 

Plus 50050, has only ever been done as D400, unless you count the Peco 50th Anniversary Model. 

The likes of 50043 was done by Lima in the very beginning, so not the greatest livery application ever....Certainly shows its age, but probably a prime Late NSE Candidate - Was preserved in it, plus small name so good renumbering potential.  About the only thing easier is Lion, but Hornby did that in a light NSE blue...... 

Most of those were withdrawn early on, only  50005/16/29/32 made it into the 90s. 50032 would be another good one to do, great name and carried at least 3 different liveries.

I remember seeing that model of 50043 in Cheltenham model shop and just couldn't buy it.  I don't think Accurascale will make the mistake of large logo on a unrefurbished body somehow!!

On 23/12/2022 at 09:34, Torbay Express said:

Didn't Fran say earlier that the D4xx will have removable plates and MU cables in the accessory pack? 

It was a Question i asked a while back.

But cant recall seeing any answer.

may have just missed it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Given the debate about liveries on the previous pages, I have tried to put together a list of main liveries carried by loco and whether they’ve already been made in OO.

Not intended to be a guide at all to what Accurascale should make as I’d love to see some of these repeated by Accurascale! More just hopefully useful.

I also haven’t attempted to set out detail differences between the liveries, there are some great threads on here that do that already 😊

If there are any errors, please let me know and I’ll edit!

class 50 liveries and models.xlsx

Edited by amwells
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, amwells said:

Given the debate about liveries on the previous pages, I have tried to put together a list of main liveries carried by loco and whether they’ve already been made in OO.

Not intended to be a guide at all to what Accurascale should make as I’d love to see some of these repeated by Accurascale! More just hopefully useful.

I also haven’t attempted to set out detail differences between the liveries, there are some great threads on here that do that already 😊

If there are any errors, please let me know and I’ll edit!

class 50 liveries and models.xlsx 11.31 kB · 29 downloads

50008 was painted in Crimson as well as 50017? 

Edited by Hilux5972

• RMweb Gold

Funny, the "sort by popularity" puts both of the 50s I need at top and bottom rank!  "Plonker" is a must as large logo is the iconic livery for the class, but D423 hits the sweet spot of 1968 minus the jumper cables so right for my 1968 themed timetable.

The other good thing to note is DCC noise is by far the most popular which does rather put those who moan about DCC sound in their place.

I suspect the 1968-1975 era will be of growing interest in the coming years as my generation retake their kid's former bedrooms and spend their inheritance on new layouts as they retire.  

• Like 6
  • Agree 2