Class 50, By Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Would be nice to have this in the range as its link to the HMS Hood association who keep the ship and crew from being forgotten, still to this day the largest loss of life on a single ship with only three getting off after her destruction by Bismarck in the Denmark Strait and one thousand four hundred and fifteen been lost to the deep.

I doubt Hood is too popular in France though.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

They had the chance to come out and their admiral took the hum because Somerville did not meet with him in person.....

Relationships, between allies, matter. Especially when facing scenarios that would normally be thought unthinkable and shape political relationships decades later.

I’m surprised the decision wasnt discussed at leadership level.

Sending an underlying is seen as diplomatic affront in any nation.

Thats why leaders, take translators with them.

in a different scenario Hood wouldnt have been engaged, therefore not need to be relieved from Force H for repairs, and therefore not be in Scotland and hence the Denmark straits.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium
On 12/12/2022 at 17:55, adb968008 said:

Relationships, between allies, matter. Especially when facing scenarios that would normally be thought unthinkable and shape political relationships decades later.

I’m surprised the decision wasnt discussed at leadership level.

Sending an underlying is seen as diplomatic affront in any nation.

Thats why leaders, take translators with them.

in a different scenario Hood wouldnt have been engaged, therefore not need to be relieved from Force H for repairs, and therefore not be in Scotland and hence the Denmark straits.

More the French Admiral would not discuss or take instuction from a lower ranking English officer,they were given the choice of come out and sail with us or be destroyed.

Churchill could not afford there battleships falling into German hands,two of which were very modern.This was before Bismarck was opps ready and Tirpitz was near compleation.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 08/12/2022 at 16:04, brushman47544 said:

You need to think about the origins of the orange stripe. As with the OHL warning flashes, they were provided to remind rail staff working on diesel (and before that steam) locomotives to take care climbing onto the roof, for example to refill a steam heating boiler, because the loco could be working under overhead wires and the current could jump and electrocute them.

DC third rail you have to touch to be electrocuted and I presume it was expected that rail staff could see where the third rail was and could therefore avoid touching it.

I suppose another factor is that on the Southern for example, train crew had worked in third rail electrified areas for their whole career and were used to it.  One of the major dangers in the early days of the 25kV rollout was that staff in the affected areas had to change long established habits whereas on the DC lines the staff had by and large grown up with it; and on the Southern many of the country depots like Ramsgate and Bournemouth had regular turns into the London area before the Kent Coast and Bournemouth electrification schemes.

Edited by DY444
  • Like 1

Regarding the discussion on whether 50017 had orange cantrail stripes when first painted in NSE livery, those who have pointed out that these stripes were initially only on the cab rain gutters are correct. The best reference to this is on P.81 of "Class 50s - The Large Logo Years" by Ian Horner. There is a clear photo of 50017 at Laira in full NSE livery without numbers and logo. P.80 of the same publication shows 50023 at Waterloo on the first day, also with the orange stripes only on the gutters.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 11/12/2022 at 21:27, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Would be nice to have this in the range as its link to the HMS Hood association who keep the ship and crew from being forgotten, still to this day the largest loss of life on a single ship with only three getting off after her destruction by Bismarck in the Denmark Strait and one thousand four hundred and fifteen been lost to the deep.

I would not worry too much.  Firstly more models to be announced, 50031 is preserved so will most likely arrive in one guise or another.  Personally, in its preserved Intercity Livery would be the most unique choice as its already been done twice in Large Logo.  Perhaps 50 Alliance will brave in time..... 50044 Green, 50031 Intercity, 50135 Loadhaul, 50007/49 GBRf and for old times sake 50033 in Blue Large Logo..... 

Still others liveries to go at such as 50149 in Rail freight, 50007 in GWR, 50033 in Railtour small logo with 50050 etc.. 

The Class 50 over time oooozzzzeeessss potential! 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 minutes ago, Torbay Express said:

I would not worry too much.  Firstly more models to be announced, 50031 is preserved so will most likely arrive in one guise or another.  Personally, in its preserved Intercity Livery would be the most unique choice as its already been done twice in Large Logo.  Perhaps 50 Alliance will brave in time..... 50044 Green, 50031 Intercity, 50135 Loadhaul, 50007/49 GBRf and for old times sake 50033 in Blue Large Logo..... 

Still others liveries to go at such as 50149 in Rail freight, 50007 in GWR, 50033 in Railtour small logo with 50050 etc.. 

The Class 50 over time oooozzzzeeessss potential! 

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a couple of revised NSE ones and probably 50015 in Dutch / 50008 in Laira Blue to come fairly soon

• Like 2

They are a certainty at some point, but with 50008 already promised in H&H in Batch 1, will be later. Ideal candidate is 50019 in Laira Blue first as only ever previously done as a limited edition by Lima for MRE magazine. 

Certain locos are bound to get duplicated liveries etc., but it I still possible to create a comprehensive list if what has gone before, and what guise a loco would be most ideal.  For example 50037 has been done by Hornby twice - 50037 in Blue Small and Blue Large Logo (Sound) - Ideal livery for this loco would be in late NSE how it finished its life based at Laira...... (Or eventually if living really Dangerously,  it's exceptionally short lived Laira Blue) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A full list of Class 50 liveries (I think) which can be modelled;

BR Blue - As built

BR Blue - As built with MU Cables

BR Blue - Named

BR Blue - Refurbished without headlight 

BR Blue - Refurbished with headlight 

BR Large Logo with grey roof

BR Large Logo with blue roof

BR Large Logo with black roof 

GWR Green

NSE Original 

NSE Revised

NSE Revised, darker blue

Laira Blue

Laira Blue with H&H logo

H&H

Dutch Livery

Loadhaul

BR Two Tone Green

There are probably more but I can’t think of any.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

BR Blue - As built

BR Blue - Named

GWR Green

NSE Original 

NSE Revised

NSE Revised, darker blue

Laira Blue

Laira Blue with H&H logo

H&H

Dutch Livery

Loadhaul

BR Two Tone Green

Joolz, were really on about what's been done previously particularly by Hornby (and Lima to a lesser extent!) , as I kinda like the idea of non-duplication, unless a unique livery.  Which some companies are quite notorious for... 37012 in standard range, then same livery on a revised tooling as a limited edition within a year or so.  

LMS 50017.

NSE West of England 

Are the two other options. But there's the odd quirky thing - for example 50032 Early NSE and blue nameplates.... 

And we still need the ultimate what might have been, a 50 pretending to be 50018 in RES......

Edited by Torbay Express
Addition
  • Agree 1

Would be interesting to see what are the most and least popular liveries in terms of sales , but that’s sensitive  information .

I’d imagine LL would be top  ( old farts like me in late 40s/ early 50s with disposable income ( laugh I nearly cried )

Id imagine unrefurb blue would be lagging behind ( even older farts )

NSE - Don’t see a lot of NSE layouts , but did have a cult following ? Nice colours but I’d lost interest by then 

Modern repaints - seems a lot of interest , there are still younger rail fans and modellers who are after these it appears.

So my theory is 80s LL and super up to date , would have most appeal 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Would be interesting to see what are the most and least popular liveries in terms of sales , but that’s sensitive  information .

I’d imagine LL would be top  ( old farts like me in late 40s/ early 50s with disposable income ( laugh I nearly cried )

NSE - Don’t see a lot of NSE layouts , but did have a cult following ? Nice colours but I’d lost interest by then 

Modern repaints - seems a lot of interest , there are still younger rail fans and modellers who are after these it appears.

As a mid-40s person I agree with your analysis. I'm not a big fan of LL in general but it really works on the 50. And I also rather like the GBRF colours. H+H is interesting but I've yet to see in in the flesh as it were.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, jools1959 said:

BR Blue - As built

BR Blue - Named

GWR Green

NSE Original 

NSE Revised

NSE Revised, darker blue

Laira Blue

Laira Blue with H&H logo

H&H

Dutch Livery

Loadhaul

BR Two Tone Green

Intercity (50031)

BR Blue Cantrail / Headlights (50044 today for example)

Laira blue came with and without Civ Eng markings under the cab window

Small logo/ large logo blue (50015 preservation)

grafiti undercoat (50033 at the SVR gala in 2018)

Blue 1990’s (D400)

Final blue 1990’s (D400)

GBRF 50007/49

Railfreight General (50149, and 50017 preservation)

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

Blue large logo is 'Bread and Butter', and pretty much the cashcow of the range.  They all carried it, some longer than others, to the grave and some to the end - 046,plus 50050/033 in  Railtour Blue/Black/Grey Roof, some with NSE Flash, some with WR flash under cab, numbers I  headcount boxes etc., and probably other quirks too -,Lots of variety and potential. 

Blue Large Logo Scrappers.... The likes of 012/14 and quiet unusual 50010 in Blue Large great in due course, but I would prefer it if the likes of 50004/20 were held off and if there is sufficient demand for earlier guises, they were done as small logo and D4xx numbers as they  were done by Hornby in Large Logo, and they are still passable, especially as early scrappers, which could even be sidelined..... 

• RMweb Gold

No ones mentioned the unmentionable…

50041 Bulwark

Whilst it arrived in all platforms of paddington at once, it wasnt a fatal accident and the loco was a remarkable return.

From an enthusiasts perspective 50041 was probably the point people stopped taking 50’s for granted and pondered their future.

It would be an interesting model.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Accurascale staff
5 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Hi Rob,

You can actually sort by "best selling" on the website, so here it is for the 50s... 

https://www.accurascale.com/collections/class-50?sort_by=best-selling

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

If we're going to split hairs.....

Original condition 436 with no Ds, numbers centralised above cabside logos (1972)

Original condition with TOPS numbers and 4 cabside logos (lots, 1974-77)

50003/28 as above but with driver's corners logos painted out (1974)

50004/50 as above with ALL logos painted out (1974)

50020/46 with central logos next to nameplates (late 1970s)

50008 overhauled and repainted with logos moved to secondman's corners in readiness for naming (1978)*

*Naming of the Class 50s coincided with the standardisation on the smaller 2' logo on all classes around 1977, the larger 2' 6" being abandoned. The cabside logos on Hornby's model of D421 measure 9mm, which scale at a middling but non-standard 2' 3", hence their undersized appearance - surprising the different 1mm (a scale 3") can make on an OO model.  I'm not certain whether the logos applied to the Class 50s at building were 2' 6" or slightly larger - they do look slightly larger, wish I'd measured one at the time (and ignored the strange looks!)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1