Class 50, By Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, rob D2 said:

* tumbleweed *

Me personally would rather have a 40 than a 50 but you take what’s on offer and I’m very much looking forward to my 50, I just need your or five Accurascale cl40’s to go with it 😉

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 05/12/2022 at 21:28, PjKing1 said:

And 40’s 🙄 hint hint hint 

6 hours ago, rob D2 said:

* tumbleweed *

Now… we know AS have in the past have not been afraid to say No, when No means No.

But not saying anything reminds me of Napoleon…

Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I was looking on Flickr, trying to see if 50017 had a orange stripe when it was originally painted in the first version of NSE, but it’s really difficult to make out under the roof grime.  Was putting the orange stripe on during a repaint common practice by the mid 80’s?

3 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I was looking on Flickr, trying to see if 50017 had an orange stripe when it was originally painted in the first version of NSE, but it’s really difficult to make out under the roof grime.  Was putting the orange stripe on during a repaint common practice by the mid 80’s?

I think so, but only round the cab?

The below picture is of 50023 just after re-paint in late 1986 and you can see the orange stripe. This is taken from the excellent Honda Wanderer site. 50017 is also on there, but later in 1987.

image.jpeg.ee138ab2dda60bf418933c5796e24e7e.jpeg

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Rich Papper said:

I could never figure out why the NSE locos had an orange cantrail stripe and the multiple units got a red one on what was basically the same colour scheme.

Surely the danger is the same regardless of which you climb on!

Rich

Started life as a white strip on class 40’s…, but I guess 18000 was probably the very first, unless anyones got an advance on that ?

1 hour ago, Torbay Express said:

Also interesting that it's only on the cab rain strip, and didn't wrap all around in the beginning.... 

I was assuming that was because the main part of the body couldn’t be climbed and therefore only getting into and out of the cab would potentially get you within the OLE limits?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, IRC said:

I think so, but only round the cab?

The below picture is of 50023 just after re-paint in late 1986 and you can see the orange stripe. This is taken from the excellent Honda Wanderer site. 50017 is also on there, but later in 1987.

image.jpeg.ee138ab2dda60bf418933c5796e24e7e.jpeg

Seems Accurascale’s model of 50017 is when the NSE livery was first applied, but after looking through Flickr, the orange stripe now is along the body length.  I wonder if that was done when it was recently mainline registered?

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

Silly question time. How come there wasn't an orange stripe around the bottom on 3rd rail units? And, did 3rd rail units need the cant rail stripe when they would hardly if ever run under 25 kV O.H.L.E.?

Bury units used to have OHLE warning flashes on the cab windows…

just incase they got within 2 miles of Manchester Piccadilly’s OHLE I guess.

I have in my collection a huge  (Beware 3rd Rail sign) from Bury Depot.. quite a rare thing up north.. but I live in the south now and its full of them.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, adb968008 said:

Bury units used to have OHLE warning flashes on the cab windows… just incase they got within 2 miles of Manchester Piccadilly’s OHLE I guess.

Reputely some old PW gangers used to put their hand on the 3rd rail to see if the juice was on…. 

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Bury units used to have OHLE warning flashes on the cab windows… just incase they got within 2 miles of Manchester Piccadilly’s OHLE I guess.

I believe the driving trailers worked with the early AM series 25kV multiple units. I saw a pic of one with the remainder of a class 302 recently. 

ETA - Here it is - 3rd pic down… https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/113910-photos-of-ac-electrics/?do=findComment&comment=4811735

Edited by 97406
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 97406 said:

I believe the driving trailers worked with the early AM series 25kV multiple units. I saw a pic of one with the remainder of a class 302 recently. 

ETA - Here it is - 3rd pic down… https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/113910-photos-of-ac-electrics/?do=findComment&comment=4811735

That was a one off, the 302 lost its trailer in an accident.

Bury line had too many units and sent a bunch for scrap in the 70’s, so one trailer was sent south.

There was 2 spare Bury line trailers that hung into the 1980’s too.. one at Stoke Cockshute painted green and all burnt out. It was burnt on a move to/from wolverton works for repair. A second was at Bury as a spare.. it was donated to the ELR in early 1987 to use as a Emergency fire fighting training exercise in the Tunnel and was later sent to scrap locally.. that one was Blue/Grey.

The rest survived until 1991 and went in two batches to MCMetals, in spring and the rest after the line closed. Finally One unit was scrapped by the ELR in preservation. The surviving one… well there are a hardy few that care, but apparently more that should, who don't, so I hope that it survives in the long term.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

Silly question time. How come there wasn't an orange stripe around the bottom on 3rd rail units? And, did 3rd rail units need the cant rail stripe when they would hardly if ever run under 25 kV O.H.L.E.?

You need to think about the origins of the orange stripe. As with the OHL warning flashes, they were provided to remind rail staff working on diesel (and before that steam) locomotives to take care climbing onto the roof, for example to refill a steam heating boiler, because the loco could be working under overhead wires and the current could jump and electrocute them.

DC third rail you have to touch to be electrocuted and I presume it was expected that rail staff could see where the third rail was and could therefore avoid touching it.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Super-Sloth said:

Is there a tentative landing day for these in mind? I had a look at the projects progress section of the website and couldn’t spot anything? 

cheers,

jon.

Accurascale announcement said Q4 2023:

https://www.accurascale.com/blogs/news/we-surprise-nobody-with-a-nifty-class-50-in-00-4mm

Roy

• Like 1

On 07/12/2022 at 04:19, jools1959 said:

I was looking on Flickr, trying to see if 50017 had a orange stripe when it was originally painted in the first version of NSE, but it’s really difficult to make out under the roof grime.  Was putting the orange stripe on during a repaint common practice by the mid 80’s?

https://youtu.be/Nbm7Qkz58L8

At 32:20 in this video 50017 turns up in NSE livery, towing a 33. However, the cab roof's are a bit grimey, so you can't make out the cantrail stripe. The cantrailstripe doesn't appear to run along the bodyside. 

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, ianb3174 said:

Don't need one...so I bought one. I went Birmingham-Newquay behind one on as a youngster. I remember the heat from it as I walked past on a summer Saturday. 50031 Hood. 

Would be nice to have this in the range as its link to the HMS Hood association who keep the ship and crew from being forgotten, still to this day the largest loss of life on a single ship with only three getting off after her destruction by Bismarck in the Denmark Strait and one thousand four hundred and fifteen been lost to the deep.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Would be nice to have this in the range as its link to the HMS Hood association who keep the ship and crew from being forgotten, still to this day the largest loss of life on a single ship with only three getting off after her destruction by Bismarck in the Denmark Strait and one thousand four hundred and fifteen been lost to the deep.

It was a huge loss.

I lost a great uncle on the HMS Invincible 31st May 1916 in the Battle of Jutland, and that was another huge loss of men. Obviously I didn't know him but would have loved to. 

At some point perhaps I ought to have a 50025 to remember him by

Edited by Covkid
Change
  • Friendly/supportive 6