Class 50, By Accurascale

10 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

On the other hand, HMS Rodney had quite a record for a battleship. Her 16in shells putting Bismarck out of action quite quickly despite many key personnel not being on board at the time (she was sailing to the US for refit and repair at the time). 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Rodney_(29) 

I always think it unfortunate that the inescapable Only Fools and Horses was imposed on society when it was, forever tainting this loco name. 

(You may detect a level of antipathy from this quarter to 'Britain's favourite sitcom') 

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

50057 Henry

50058 Hettie

Congratulations MrB - in the rash of posts since AY posted four genuine RN warship names (including HMS Cockchafer) you are so far the only other person to post yet another genuine RN warship name (HMS Henry).  But disappointingly Hettie was not an RN warship name at any time.

'The Back Hat' has got us wholly back on track by a posting a list of further genuine RN warship names which were not used on the 50s.  But of course 'Goliath',  'Jupiter',  'Majestic', and 'Magnificent' were all used used on the proper 'Warship class' locos built at Swindon. 

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Congratulations MrB - in the rash of posts since AY posted four genuine RN warship names (including HMS Cockchafer) you are so far the only other person to post yet another genuine RN warship name (HMS Henry).  But disappointingly Hettie was not an RN warship name at any time.

'The Back Hat' has got us wholly back on track by a posting a list of further genuine RN warship names which were not used on the 50s.  But of course 'Goliath',  'Jupiter',  'Majestic', and 'Magnificent' were all used used on the proper 'Warship class' locos built at Swindon. 

Proper warships indeed Mr SM. None of this hijacking of the identities of recently departed friends…

49 minutes ago, BR Blue said:

There should be an unbranded Railfreight one called Shades of Grey or as The Stationmaster would put it Shades of Grey.

50s should have been painted in battleship grey (and that has about 50 shades of that as well!). Oh, a class 50 in Dazzle camouflage. Each warship normally had it's own design too. Scheme for a preserved 50 I wonder?  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

There’s plenty of Flower class corvette names that could be used …. 

Anemone 

Azalea

Bluebell

Buttercup

Candytuft

etc etc…. 

No need to reuse the purposeful names given to the hydraulics….

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Let us not forget that they originally ordered an extra one but it was cancelled due to funding issues.

HMS Broke

Was there ever an HMS Delboy?

HMS Trigger is the name of a book rather than a real boat, but I would expect to see a permanent (if interchangeable parts) broom on the mast. A Clean sweep for evermore.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Proper warships indeed Mr SM. None of this hijacking of the identities of recently departed friends…

Proper warships 😮, there's 2 types of ships, and all them are the first type, targets!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

8 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

Bellerophon, Vengeance, Nautilus, Endeavour, Majestic, Magnificent, Jupiter, Goliath, Agamemnon, Dominion, Duncan.... 

Way too sensible , you haven't got the hang of this ..

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
On 24/11/2022 at 02:32, Hilux5972 said:

I’ll just leave these images from

a google search here for Accurascale. Zoomed out versions to not “hide” ownership as some think I was doing. Just like to point out that many people in this site do the same thing! 

5BD2145C-1463-4B72-9753-187969BC4192.jpeg

2CC9E106-1D4A-471E-B41F-5CFEF47A597F.jpeg

I’d actually really like a 50 in this livery. It can keep the purple peril Gordon Highlander company on my layout. Considering that Gordon was one of the first Deltics to sell out there seems to be a market for oddball liveries. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

I’d actually really like a 50 in this livery.

What it does do is highlight the shape and rake of the cab windows. I think the amount of "sweepback" contributes to the appearance from many angles and has caught out some previous manufacturers as much as the droop.

• RMweb Premium
On 02/12/2022 at 13:18, JSpencer said:

Oh, a class 50 in Dazzle camouflage. Each warship normally had it's own design too. Scheme for a preserved 50 I wonder?

They could borrow from the way Bismark was painted to disguise its length and redo the side as a peak, which would improve them no end.

I'll get my coat....

• Funny 1

Regarding 50017, anyone remember when it briefly carried Railfreight General livery as 50117 - it was located at the West Somerset Railway at the time, must have been 1997, so 25 years ago, and 50149 was there too at the time. I thought I had a photo of it, and maybe both together, at Williton but can't find it ATM......

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

29 minutes ago, Halvarras said:

Regarding 50017, anyone remember when it briefly carried Railfreight General livery as 50117 - it was located at the West Somerset Railway at the time, must have been 1997, so 25 years ago, and 50149 was there too at the time. I thought I had a photo of it, and maybe both together, at Williton but can't find it ATM......

Yes I remember it. They looked pretty impressive paired together I must say.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Halvarras said:

I visited the WSR for the diesel gala during 18th September 1998 and took a couple of pics of 50017 as 50117 before a ride behind her …

4712D391-2BA7-461F-BFCC-DA1BE6BEB8BE.jpeg.0648288c50d9f4430d1638ce9425a804.jpeg
50017 arrives into Williton, passing 50015

E6B1C410-C26C-485A-8DE8-F3AD6D8ED5F3.jpeg.a4a30d614c934e4ba64312236c234bb0.jpeg

Edited by Patriot87003
Typo
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Cowley 47521 said:

Not sure what we got up to but I’ll add 50060 Legless to the list. I made it years ago for my kids (honest). It was motorised too!

AF35CE8E-522B-47EC-B92F-6FD83258B232.jpeg.13bbeda8129f7f6e0e7aaf5ac605c42d.jpeg

The double arrows still make my eyes go funny…

Made it for your kids you say. I take it they are here in the forums too then? 🙃😊

It looks great. Well done.

• Funny 1