Adblock issues

• RMweb Gold

Hi

I'm using Firefox with Adblock plus and am a Gold Member. This morning I can't use RMWeb pages as I get an adblock related message appearing. It is still there even if I turn off ABP. Has not been a problem before. Am having to use another browser for now.

adblock.JPG.7573ae4e2d30c6b529b0228319f24b20.JPG

• RMweb Premium

I have got the same, have (with great reluctance) suspended my adblockers and I am in but there are adverts all over the place.

I have the premium membership so these ads should not be here?

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

I'm using Firefox with Adblock plus

If you are using Firefox you don't need an ad blocker. Just go into the Settings and set tracker protection to Strict:

firefox_strict.png.91b68f05b25c41606dcfeadb5933e923.png

This doesn't actually block ads, it blocks tracking scripts. However, since almost all ads include sneaky trackers, in effect the ads get blocked too. Firefox warns that this setting may prevent some sites from working, but I have never had any problems, and I never see any ads on any web site (except on YouTube videos).

If an advertiser complains that you are blocking their ads, tell them that you are not -- if they want you to see it, don't put a tracker in it.

Martin.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Keith Turbutt said:

I don't think Digitrains are doing themselves any favours with these irritating videos. I think people will get p***ed off  and be reluctant to do business with them.

Advertisers pay for exposure; you can also pay if you don't want to see adverts.

• Administrators
Just now, paftrain said:

but those on RMWeb are too intrusive - can’t they be made so that they don’t ruin our reading experience?

I wouldn't disagree with the implementation of some of them. Believe me, I do say my piece and I do get very frustrated with the speed of resolving identified issues. This is why I pushed Premium through - a low-cost solution for the equivalent of £1 per month so that people have the choice.

• Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I wouldn't disagree with the implementation of some of them. Believe me, I do say my piece and I do get very frustrated with the speed of resolving identified issues. This is why I pushed Premium through - a low-cost solution for the equivalent of £1 per month so that people have the choice.

Do you want contributors?

I am not removing my ad blocker or joining Gold. Mainly because of the loss of photos for a second time after I had replaced them following the first time, making my thread seem stupid. Recover our photos and I might take my ad blocker off or join gold.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• Administrators
Just now, Clive Mortimore said:

Recover our photos and I might take my ad blocker off or join gold.

I would if I could but, as previously advised, it's not possible. Sorry, what else can be said? Many users have restored images from their original files.

2 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

second time after I had replaced them following the first time

Second time? There was only one instance - Mar/April this year.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Gotta say I agree with Clive on this. If ads didn't make the internet borderline unusable, we wouldn't all *need* adblockers in the first place. 

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I would if I could but, as previously advised, it's not possible. Sorry, what else can be said? Many users have restored images from their original files.

Second time? There was only one instance - Mar/April this year.

No I replaced my missing photos, now there are missing ones again. Have a look at my thread.

They also disappeared from my other threads, they were still there when you lost the first lot.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, WM183 said:

If ads didn't make the internet borderline unusable, we wouldn't all *need* adblockers in the first place. 

It's all a balancing act. If a site can't be viable ultimately it disappears, I (and the business) have a long term commitment to making it viable.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

now there are missing ones again. Have a look at my thread.

I went and looked and could see recently posted images - be a little more helpful (rather than antagonistic) and provide a link to any posts with an issue and I'll take a look. Lobbing stroppy comments isn't the best way of going about it.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• Administrators
Just now, WM183 said:

Cool. So you'd rather users disappear?

I'm stating the patently obvious. Another one to lob silly antagonistic comments now. 🙄

• Friendly/supportive 1

Minor interface thing - the first time the popup appeared, the text on the two buttons was incomplete, i.e. not enough room on the buttons for all the text (Chrome, MacOS). I clicked the left one and the popup came straight back, clicked the right one and it went away. Now I can't get it back to take a screenshot for you. Might try clearing my rmweb cookies to see if that brings the popup back.

Edit: here you go.

Might be because I have text set to display at 110% for ease of reading?

Just hoping the invisible text wasn't "...software and give away my collection of A4s to the lowest bidder"

1555897180_Screenshot2022-11-21at15_11_36.jpg.9e3fc20a957146c74018858b75878ec2.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide
screenshot
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

Minor interface thing - the first time the popup appeared, the text on the two buttons was incomplete, i.e. not enough room on the buttons for all the text (Chrome, MacOS). I clicked the left one and the popup came straight back, clicked the right one and it went away. Now I can't get it back to take a screenshot for you. Might try clearing my rmweb cookies to see if that brings the popup back.

Edit: here you go.

Might be because I have text set to display at 110% for ease of reading?

Just hoping the invisible text wasn't "...software and give away my collection of A4s to the lowest bidder"

1555897180_Screenshot2022-11-21at15_11_36.jpg.9e3fc20a957146c74018858b75878ec2.jpg

Thank you; that's useful and I'll take a further look at it.

and give away my collection of A4s to the lowest bidder

Honestly no; it said 'send all my hydraulics to Andy'.

• Like 1